PDA

View Full Version : kreg corner clamp

frank shic
11-13-2008, 6:57 PM
anyone try one of these yet? if it works really well, i might just skip stapling before screwing my cabinets together although i'm somewhat skeptical... i just noticed this on their website:

Randal Stevenson
11-13-2008, 7:16 PM
Did you see a price? Seems to me, that is too expensive (and I don't know the price yet), since it appears, it will only do outside corners.

Scott Whiting
11-14-2008, 10:07 AM
I played with them at the Tucson Woodworking show. They are faster to use than my Bessey corner clamps. If it wasn't a slow year I would have bought a pair just because. It seems to me they were over $30 which would make them more expensive than what I payed for the Bessey's. I already have a pair of the right angle clamps that work fine on longer panels like cabinet carcasses but because they tie up a hole don't work that well on shallow drawers.

frank shic
11-14-2008, 10:25 AM
just ordered a pair from mcfeely's, guys. will report back once they arrive!

frank shic
11-23-2008, 11:46 AM
guys, these clamps work great! they're so much less clunkier and expensive than the firmus clamps, much easier to adjust than the bessey corner clamps and definitely faster than the rockler clamp-it jig. i especially love kreg's foresight in making the tips of the clamp L-shaped so that you can drill the first screw close to the edge of the case side - many other clamps prevent you from accomplishing this. you can also clamp inner shelves or dividers as well. hopefully this will obviate the need to tack the pieces together with a pneumatic stapler or pin nailer making the process of cabinetmaking slightly faster.

Norman Pyles
11-23-2008, 4:54 PM
Frank, thanks for the reveiw. I've yet to get anything from Kreg, that I didn't like.

Bill Neely
11-25-2008, 12:32 AM
Frank, I just saw these clamps in a catalog yesterday and thought they were very interesting. How well do they hold position as you close them? For instance on a partition or shelf would you be able to clamp to a line easily?

TIA, Bill

frank shic
11-25-2008, 12:37 AM
bill, as long as the cabinet parts are equal thickness, there should be no problem clamping intermediate shelves to a line as you mentioned as the pressure the clamps exert is quite formidable. i kid you not: these are the BEST corner clamps i have encountered thus far and it's right in time for christmas!!! hohoho...

Bill Neely
11-25-2008, 3:11 AM
They don't tend to creep?

Good. I'll get my letter to Santa ready.

Thanks, Bill

John Grossi
11-25-2008, 5:44 AM
Frank, Good for picture framing? If so what would the maximum width be for the frame? Thanks for the input.

frank shic
11-25-2008, 9:52 AM
bill, you still have to align the edges slightly before clamping down otherwise the parts will creep slightly. john, it would have to be a narrow picture frame - i think the max capacity is 1 1/2". i never thought of using it that way but i suppose it would definitely work if you were clamping up a box with mitered corners although you'd probably need four of them in that case (pun intended).

Michael Van Voorhis
02-18-2009, 5:18 PM
WARNING: Dead thread walking! :D

Will this clamp be easy to use with their pocket hole system? IOW, could I use this to clamp two boards together to build a simple box?

frank shic
02-18-2009, 6:01 PM
michael, i think these clamps were intentionally designed to make pocket screw joinery much easier. yes, you will be able to build boxes very easily.