PDA

View Full Version : engraving lines?

james burchfield
11-13-2008, 1:48 PM
im having a very irratating problem im trying to etch a star on a piece of glass the star etches just fine however on the very tip of it also etched a line equal to the stars width. when i look in corel i cant see any line

any idea where this line is coming from im thinking its a corel bug

Mike Null
11-13-2008, 1:54 PM
James

Did you check your view menu. If not go to view and switch your view to wireframe. That will show you hidden lines in your drawing. If it's there delete it. If it's not there then you probably have a file or communications problem.

Re-send the file to see if it happens again. If so, reconnect the cable from the computer to the machine and try the file again. If that fails then tech support is your next option.

Gary Hair
11-13-2008, 4:35 PM
Is the outline of the star a hairline or does the line have width? If you set the width of the line wider than a hairline then the laser may be vectoring the outline after it rasters the line. An easy way to avoid that problem is to turn off vectoring with that line color.

Oh, and Mike's right about wireframe view but it won't show the outlines, only the occasional stray line that magically appears.

Gary

james burchfield
11-13-2008, 5:39 PM
the star is a clip art vectoring is off, when i view wire frame i get a box around the clipart but when i etch the box doesnt etch the clipart i get a line on the top.

also ive noticed sometimes when i zoom out ill have line next to a image when i zoom out from 100% but when i zoom in to erase it it isnt there

Steve Clarkson
11-13-2008, 7:57 PM
but when i zoom in to erase it it isnt there

James....is your house haunted? Sounds like a poltergeist to me.

Margaret Turco
11-13-2008, 9:21 PM
James, can you post the file here so I can take a look at it?

Bill Cunningham
11-13-2008, 10:00 PM
I have found that sometimes a bit image file will have a 'artifact' of a border line on one or more of the edges.. You can use the node tool to crop the edges a bit.. I did a wedding portrait in glass a while back and it looked perfect..then...Grrrrrr.. I saw a tiny thread of a line along the bottom that was literally invisible and I hadn't seen it during setup.. I zoomed in on the bottom, and there it was.. I just grabbed the two bottom nodes, and moved them up beyond the edge, and cropped out the line.. Put in a new coated piece of glass, and rastered it again. This time it 'was' perfect..

james burchfield
11-20-2008, 2:30 PM
here is the file and a pic of the problem i tried moving the nodes off the page but i still get the same problem

james burchfield
11-20-2008, 2:41 PM
here they are

Frank Corker
11-20-2008, 3:16 PM
That line on the right handside has been caused when you first made your shape and cropped it. There is a hairline right on the borders edge. It was there BEFORE you ran it through photograv or whichever dithering process you used. Your best result will come from taking your original image - increasing the outer walls and saving it and re-dithering. As it is there is not going to be much that can be done without altering the existing image, but because it has been dithered, that might affect the result.

To get this result I had to make a heart, put it on a sqare, remove the heart shape from the square. But the square (with now, a heart shape cut out) over your picture and crop that. This is the result but far from perfect.

james burchfield
11-20-2008, 5:45 PM
i re-processed it and i didnt have the same problem

thanks alot everyone for your help

Stephen Beckham
11-20-2008, 6:28 PM
James - one other note - if you have a bitmap that works fine all day long and then rotate it in Corel for etching on something different - sometimes there might be a line appear just because the rotation. So when rotating artwork you might want to give it a good look before printing.