PDA

View Full Version : Table saw nibbling end of ripped boards

Jared Cuneo
11-13-2008, 1:08 PM
My Delta Contractor is nibbling a 64th or so (sometimes a 32nd) off the trailing end of ripped boards on the fence side.

The pattern is visible on the last 3/8 in of the board on the side of the wood facing the table. The top of the board is fine, it just nibbles the bottom corner. The board also makes a sound when it exits off the back of the blade, ie, you can hear the nibbling occuring. The faster I go, the less it nibbles.

I've checked for a tooth on the blade being parallel to the slot and its perfect. The fence is toed out less than 1/64th to the slot, but I have not checked blade and fence directly, though if the above is true, than it *should* be dead on.

Can anyone think of any other causes? I should also note that I don't get burning on a regular basis, only when I go too slow or try to cut real tough exotics. Using a clean WWII blade....

JC

Cliff Rohrabacher
11-13-2008, 4:16 PM
could it be spring back on the fence?

Jared Cuneo
11-13-2008, 6:20 PM
I'm using a bies fence, it's pretty solid...can I check it somehow? It's straight if I hold a long edge next to it...

Thanks!

Doug Shepard
11-13-2008, 6:26 PM
Are you using an outfeed roller stand? Those can steer the board off straight if they're not set up 100% perpendicular to the fence/blade and usually doesn't start until the trailing end as more goes onto the roller.

Tom Veatch
11-13-2008, 7:22 PM
Does the length of the rip cut make any difference? If it occurs with short as well as long rips, you could eliminate the fence as a contributor to the problem by seeing if you get the same result using a miter gauge on the same side as the fence to make a crosscut - moving the fence out of the way first, of course.

glenn bradley
11-13-2008, 8:49 PM
Doug's got my vote. This is common if the board is allowed to lower as it leaves the saw's table. Do you have a roller stand or other support engaging the material before it gets more than about a foot off the table? To ask another way, once the cut is complete, if you release the board does it just sit there is is gravity kicking in?

Jared Cuneo
11-13-2008, 11:04 PM
Well, I feel like a moron, I went and measured slot to blade clearance and it was off!

About a month ago, I was getting crazy errors when cutting at 45 degrees. Turned out I needed to shim my trunnions. At the time, everything was dead on. Sometime between then and now, it went out of whack. A light tap of the trunnion and a few test cuts later, everything is back to normal.

I should have known better....

thanks for all the suggestions.