PDA

View Full Version : Walnut gun cabinet

Mark Ball
11-13-2008, 9:28 AM
Morning all
This has actually been done for a while, but with deer hunting upon us, I haven't gotten around to pictures. Anyway, here it is, from the Wood plans a few issues ago. I acquired the walnut from a private party, it had been cut and air dried for 25 years. It still had the live edges on it, so that was challenging for me to deal with. Also included in the deal were some 2" thick stock, which I resawed into bookmatched panels for bottom and sides, I have included pictures of the front and one side. There is some real nice figure to them that really doesn't show up in the pictures. I used a prybar to pry the deer antler from a buddy, he does a lot of shed hunting and is quite attached to his finds. I used a benchtop grinder to flatten out the back, then drilled holes and installed threaded metal inserts into the antlers. I used a jig to locate the holes to drill through the door. Finish is BLO followed by three coats of shellac. It isn't shiny like the pictures show, however.

Questions, comments, and critiques

Mark

Greg Cole
11-13-2008, 9:38 AM
Any project related to deer hunting is a good one.
I like the antler for a handle-pull, nice touch.
Some nice bookmatched material there too. I'd wager the flash on the camera makes the finish "shinier" than reality.

Greg- going hunting this weekend!;)

Jim Becker
11-13-2008, 10:56 AM
Really nice work and those panels definitely look great.

Von Bickley
11-13-2008, 12:40 PM
Nice looking gun cabinet. I noticed some empty slots. You need to fill it up while you still can......:)

Lee Schierer
11-13-2008, 12:46 PM
Nice work. The custom door pull is a neat idea. Hopefully there is also a door lock in there some place. The figure in the wood is really nice.

Mark Ball
11-13-2008, 1:59 PM
If you look close, you will see the lock a few inches below the antler.

John Thompson
11-13-2008, 2:02 PM
Very nice indeed, Mark. My first project in HS shop in 1963 was a gun rack (not a cabinet.. are you kidding.. :)..) but for some reason it didn't come out as nice as yours.

Sarge..

Lucas Bittick
11-13-2008, 2:32 PM
Wow-- beautiful figure on that walnut.

Is there additional storage under the shelf the guns are resting on?

Mark Ball
11-13-2008, 3:01 PM
There is storage under there. The plans called for two slide-out trays, but I left the trays out because I felt it wasn't worth the effort.

Chris Padilla
11-13-2008, 3:41 PM
There is walnut and then all the rest of the woods.... :D

John Michaels
11-13-2008, 9:36 PM
Outstanding work, very nicely done!! Walnut is a great wood to work with and look at.