PDA

View Full Version : Delta 14” VS Lathe (46-715) vs Shopsmith

Billy Tallant
11-13-2008, 2:12 AM
Delta 14” Variable Speed Wood Lathe (46-715) vs Shopsmith

I've been trying to decide on a lathe but have been too busy lately to review all. I've been looking at mini lathes but came across this model at a reasonable price. I've also been looking at used shopsmith's. My space is limited so that is one of the reason's I like the shopsmith setup.

Any pros/cons on the delta or the shopsmith. Any help greatly appreciated...

charlie knighton
11-13-2008, 8:30 AM
i have turned on the delta not on the shopsmith

the delta has a low speed of 500 rpm so large out of round objects are questionable, also at some point you will have to replace the start switch, it will go out after a while (i used non delta parts to replace the switch)

that being said there are service centers in large cities and i turned many items on the delta

for a full size lathe it has a resonable low cost and if your blanks are not too far out of round it makes things go round :D

Bernie Weishapl
11-13-2008, 10:41 AM
My friend who is a pharmacists and a great woodworker. He built most of his furniture for his new house and all of his kids beds. He bought a shopsmith to turn with. He told me it wasn't very accurate and had a hard time turning with it. He sold it and bought the Jet 1220 which he is quite happy with. If I had to go with one after seeing him struggle would be the Delta. As was said the low speed is pretty high for out of balance pieces but if you cut them fairly round you shouldn't have a problem.

Bill Bolen
11-13-2008, 11:18 AM
I've had my Shopsmith since 1981. The thing about SS is that it will do a lot of things but none as well as a stationary tool for most modes. I turned on it for a year or so and bought a jet vs mini as a replacement. The quality of my work and the pleasure of doing that work increased as soon as the real lathe was turned on. Very cumbersom tool rest placement was a major draw back. SS will turn wood but not easily.Having said that I will never sell it as it is just to handy.I also have a very small shop..Bill..

Steve Mawson
11-13-2008, 5:17 PM
I have had a ShopSmith since 1982 and use it for a lot of work. It does OK with pens and small stuff but would not recommend for bowls or larger spindles. Mainly too much vibration. I just rebuilt mine with new bearings, belt etc but still more vibrations than my Jet mini.

If you get a used ShopSmith plan on replacing some bearings and belts. There is a guy that offers DVD or will rebuild if you send him the headstock that always has something listed on ebay. Just search under Shopsmith.

Just my thoughts.