PDA

View Full Version : Walnut bowl

Tom Wilson66
11-12-2008, 10:29 PM
Finally got some pictures to show here. Please let me know what you think of the bowl and the pictures. Would like to improve the quality of both. The bowl is black walnut, about 4 3/4 inches dimeter and 2 3/4 inches tall.

David Drickhamer
11-12-2008, 10:43 PM
Very nice. I like the form. What finish did you use?
Dave

Terry Achey
11-12-2008, 10:52 PM
Very nice work,Tom! I'm going to work up to trying something along this line in the near future myself. Is the finial a separate piece? If so, how did you attach it?

Terry

Bernie Weishapl
11-12-2008, 11:20 PM
Good looking bowl Tom. Nice looking finial. Well done.

Steve Schlumpf
11-12-2008, 11:27 PM
Nice work Tom! The lidded box (bowl) looks great and would be functional as well! Sure is some pretty wood!

Biggest thing about photos - at least for me - is focus and then color. Your focus looks great! Getting true colors is always a work in progress for most of us! Biggest suggestion would be to find a spot to take all of your photos. Then, using a neutral background and the same lighting each time you take photos, it's just a matter of adjusting your white balance on your camera / or the color balance on your graphic software. It's a lot easier to figure out once you have most of the variables under control.

Keep up the good work! Looking forward to seeing more!

Richard Madison
11-12-2008, 11:40 PM
Tom,
Nice work and nice wood. Many would call this a "lidded box". Since you asked, the finial appears to have a somewhat blunt, rounded top. It might look better if carried out to a fairly sharp point. First step for photos would be to use a seamless backgound, as the "joint" between the two areas of background distracts attention from your work. Many folks use an all white background, or one of the graduated type (white in front that fades gradually to gray). Next might be to check exposure and white balance. What color is the background in your photos?

Bottom line - - read first sentence again!

Edit: Steve, you type faster than I. Probably think faster and start sooner too. Good advice.

Bill Bolen
11-12-2008, 11:44 PM
Great lidded box Tom. Your detail work on that finial is nice and sharp. Really adds to the piece. Congrats on a pretty piece...Bill...

Tom Wilson66
11-13-2008, 7:35 PM
Thanks for the advice and comments, everyone :D
David, the finish is a mixture of 1/3 DNA, 1/3 shellac, and 1/3 BLO, applied on the lathe. May put some wax on it later.
Terry, the finial is one piece, and is attached to the lid with a tenon that goes all the way through the lid, and is glued in place. It has a small shape turned on the bottom, that is only visible when the lid is open. You can just see it in the photo showing the lid bottom.