PDA

View Full Version : Miter Saw or Radial Arm Saw

Paul Steiner
11-12-2008, 10:05 PM
In my 10+ years of woodwork and light construction I have use both radial arm saws and all types miter saws. Now it is time to purchase one for my shop and I am having a hard time choosing.
This is exactly what I am comparing: a large, probably older radial arm saw, most likely a dewalt or rockwell. Vs. a new 12" sliding compound miter saw most likely a dewalt.
I like radial arms for the stability and accuracy and length of cut.
I like sliding compound miters for the ease of use and mobility.
What do you think?

Peter Quinn
11-12-2008, 10:20 PM
I have both and like it that way. I have a big ol DeWalt RAS that cross cuts 24" which no SCMS I know of can do, and it handles rough lumber with ease which is not the forte of the SCMS either. But when I cut stops for divided lites or miter crown molding I prefer the SCMS.

Oh, and at nearly #900, I NEVER take the RAS to a job site!

Either or both can play a role in your shop depending on what you make and what other tools you have at your disposal. They are not interchangeable, each has its strengths.

Mike Griffin
11-12-2008, 10:21 PM
Like you I have used both for years. I've got both and wouldn't part with either one.

The miter gets the most work breaking down smaller lumber. The RAS handles larger lumber and is the best for dado.

Brian Goulet
11-12-2008, 10:36 PM
I have an older Craftsman 12" 3hp radial saw and the thing is a solid as a freakin' mac truck. The only problem I had with it was that the arbor was only 5/8", which is now the standard for 10", not 12" blades. With 12" blades having 1" holes, I ended up having to hunt all over town to find a spacer to make the 1" blade fit my 5/8" arbor, but now it does and the thing just hums. It's also MUCH quiter than the high RPM mitre saws....a plus if you're like me and running DC, air filters, and blasting classic rock all day....anything I can make a little quieter my ears appreciate.

The biggest disadvantage of the radial saw is its weight....mine must weigh 80 lbs or so (it's about 30 years old). Not at all portable. That's why i got a newer 12" mitre saw just two days ago....for when i have those deck and fence projects I can just throw the thing in the back of my truck.

No matter what you get, you should spend a few extra bucks and get blade stabilizers, especially if you're using 12" blades. They fit right next to the blades and act like big washers that hold the blade just a bit more stable. It helps to keep a nice straight cut, especially when crosscutting.

Bob Slater
11-12-2008, 10:36 PM
I have a B&D/Dewalt RAS that I have fixed up a bit, but still barely used. I love my Makita SCMS though.

Matt Ranum
11-12-2008, 10:56 PM
I had the same decision a while back and opted for the 10" Delta RAS. Since I use the table saw for dados, the RAS is primarily a cross cut station. While its light years ahead of the old Craftsman radial arm mitre saw I had, if I had to do it again I would by the sliding compound mitre instead.

Mike Heidrick
11-12-2008, 11:48 PM
I want in line for Matt's Delta. I have two SCMS - sometimes I long for a 24" crosscut with a dado stack. Someday one will be added to the menagerie.

Dennis Puskar
11-12-2008, 11:59 PM
Paul,
I have used RAS and SCMS both are great but I would prefer the SCMS ease of use and mobility.

Dennis

Chip Lindley
11-13-2008, 2:44 AM
Keyword: The Shop! You say you have used both, so you should know their inherent strengths by now. If the saw will remain stationary you will be glad 20 years from now you added an RAS! Chop saws have their place, mobility being #1. They are 110v and less than 15a, so its IFFY if they have the "butt" to crosscut 8/4 oak if needed.

I would be looking for a commercial RAS such as Rockwell/Delta 14" 3hp, or the 12" 2hp. The turret arm of these is great for mitering in tight shop space. The old Dewalt/Craftsman 12" 3hp is also a fine saw. 3 phase saws often bring only pennies on the dollar. Your 3ph. bargain can make a rotary phase converter look more attractive all the time.

My Gloat is an Rockwell 7-1/2hp 18" RAS purchased in the early 90s for the paltry sum of $500. OVERKILL i know, but its an amazing machine. I use 12-14" blades with a smaller 14" guard. Its 24" crosscut comes in handy too often. The downside is, it takes about 5 minutes for the blade to spin down when turned off.

My machinery philosophy has always been to go with overkill rather than wimpy, if the price range is the same. A new top-of-the-line 12" chop saw is almost $700. The same money can buy a very serviceable commercial RAS. But its your MONEY! Good Luck!

Jim Becker
11-13-2008, 8:49 AM
To me, these are more complimentary tools, rather than universal substitutes for each other. If you can only choose one, then the SCMS is the one to go with, IMHO. A big 'ol RAS, like the old Dewalts or the current version from Original Saw are really nice if you have the space, etc., but I'd still not replace a miter saw with them unless your use is purely crosscutting without a lot of fancy compound angles.

That said, I only use my CMS for rough cross-cutting most of the time...never for critical angles which I prefer to cut on the slider and/or with a jig on the same.

Rick Huelsbeck
11-13-2008, 9:37 AM
I went with a 10" Bosch Sliding miter saw over the radial arm saw for the portability of it. I'm just a hobbyist so I don't need to move it real often but sure is handy when I do (installed a sliding glass door for my girlfriend and it sure was handy to have that thing there). As far as the cut length I can get 12" in one direction, flip the board and get 12" in other direction, which means I can get a 24" cut when I need to. I have mine set up on a miter stand (for my needs the $99 HD Ryobi stand works great) so I can move the support arms out to handle long boards.

Prashun Patel
11-13-2008, 10:04 AM
For a home shop, a RAS seems like too much tool. What can it do that a TS and a SCMS can't do?

Alex Shanku
11-13-2008, 10:24 AM
My RAS never sees anything except crosscuts. No mitres or angles of any kind.

I dont do any precision work on either the RAS or SCMS, fwiw.

Bill White
11-13-2008, 11:55 AM
The RAS was purchased in 1978. I used it for everything until I bought my first TS last year. No way I'm giving up the RAS, but I sure am happy with the TS. My miter saw is an old 10" Delta cast iron monster that weighs a ton. Have taken it to job sites but it's a struggle.
Bill

Ron Lawrence
11-13-2008, 1:27 PM
Paul..... way back in the ancient times...even before chop saws...let alone the futuristic unknown miracle of the compound slide saw....I bought an old Craftsman 220 volt radial arm....I still have it and it still serves me well for those long cuts to length ....BUT the amazing versatility of the compound slide [I have a Makita [about 10 years old] still sings mightily to my gratitude.... so in this poetic waxing I am saying take the compound slide to the proverbial island and its command to wish for one tool only.....Ron