PDA

View Full Version : Great sale on Oneway chucks

Curt Fuller
11-12-2008, 7:25 PM
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Chucks___Oneway___Oneway_Talon_Chuck___oneway_talo n?Args=

Mark Rios
11-12-2008, 7:31 PM
What's a oneway chuck? What if you need it to go the other way?

Jim Becker
11-12-2008, 7:39 PM
Yea, that's an excellent deal.

Mark...you make a good point, but "OneWay" thought of that already. You can turn it into an "OtherWay" chuck by using the handy set screws to mash your spindle threading :) so that it will stay on the machine when turning in the other direction... LOL

Curt Fuller
11-12-2008, 9:13 PM
What's a oneway chuck? What if you need it to go the other way?

That's a silly question, you stand on the other side of the lathe!

scott schmidt grasshopper
11-13-2008, 12:09 AM
hey just a thought. I own one of these and though a great chuck. I hate the jaw setup. It has serrated jaws that will sometimes crush the wood grain and while doing so back away from the tenon/ mortise face. I would have prefered the smooth jaws.my second chuck was a vicmark for the smooth jaws and more power. but a good buy... scott

Jim Koepke
11-13-2008, 2:07 AM
Doh!

I see they have no lock washers listed next to these. The first time I used my chuck, it was a bear to get it off. So, I decided to try a washer I made out of an old piece of scrap belt using an auger bit and a large gouge. It works fine, but if it ever wears out, I now know someone sells such things. But most likely it will be cheaper and faster to make it myself.

Just can't stop being a neander,

jim

Jim Becker
11-13-2008, 7:57 AM
hey just a thought. I own one of these and though a great chuck. I hate the jaw setup. It has serrated jaws that will sometimes crush the wood grain and while doing so back away from the tenon/ mortise face. I would have prefered the smooth jaws.my second chuck was a vicmark for the smooth jaws and more power. but a good buy... scott

See that's the rub...the serrated jaws is exactly what I LIKE about this chuck. I've not had the problem you describe and like the fact that the tenon should be straight for best holding power. Do note that the size of the tenon should be at or close to the sweet spot size for the particular jaw set you are using. Too small or too large absolutely will cause crushing.

The Vicmarc is an excellent chuck, too, of course, but it has it's own considerations relative to how you structure the tenon or recess since angles are involved for best hold. I do like it's key system better than the OneWay product.

It's really great we have choices that match our own individual needs and preferences!

Jason Mikits
11-13-2008, 8:26 AM
Thanks for the heads up, I just ordered another so I don't have to screw and unscrew my cole jaws. I just got my Jet 1220VS about 3 weeks ago and can't stop making bowls. One of these days I'll take some pictures, because I sure do like to see what everyone else has made. I sure do appreciate all the useful tips and articles on SMC.

john taliaferro
11-13-2008, 8:51 AM
they got to have pictures .john t

Adam Grills
11-13-2008, 6:05 PM
FYI you can order smooth jaws for the "Oneways"
Adam