PDA

View Full Version : Help with wheel weights, PLEASE!

John Miliunas
05-30-2004, 11:49 AM
When we purchased our "new" home back in October, it came equipped with an older Husqvarna lawn tractor. Probably one of the most user UN-friendly units I've ever owned, but in general, does the job. Unfortunately, I believe the tires on this thing are the originals (unit has just under 800 hours on it) and one is constantly losing air and both are weather-checked. I'd like to replace both, but can't get the wheels off. I can't because, there are wheel weights on both wheels and I can't get those off, which needs to happen if I'm going to get at the wheel lugs. They're some type of plastic/poly, and I believe, are probably sand-filled or such. They bolt on with two through-bolts on to the wheel. Loosening the bolts is a piece of cake, but I swear these things are virtually *welded* on to the wheels themselves. I spent close to two hours on one side Friday, trying to get the thing off. Beat on it, tried prying, squirting WD-40 back behind it and beating on the back side with a drift pin. A lot of sweat and banged up knuckles later, still no luck! :mad: Any ideas? I'm almost at the point of taking my reciprocating saw to the stupid things and having to destroy them, in order to remove the darn things! :cool:

Ken Garlock
05-30-2004, 12:37 PM
John, I know how you feel. Things like that make you want to go at it with a sledge hammer :mad:

This is a dumb question, but are you sure that you only have 2 bolts holding the weights in place? The reason I ask is that when I made some concrete weights for a cub cadet back in the late 70's, it had four bolt holes. Yes, I know a lot has happened since then, but I thought I would mention it.

I think I would jump on Mr Bell's invention Monday morning, and talk with a HV dealer/repair station that is not a borg. They should be able to tell you how they do it short of using a saws-all. It would help if you had some model numbers to guide them....

Let us know what the solution turns out to be.

Tony Falotico
05-30-2004, 4:10 PM
John, this is a pure guess, did you try un-screwing them off? Perhaps the bolts are only to keep them from un-screwing off by themselves.

This is only a guess, but worth a try before the reciprocating saw.

Mark Singer
05-30-2004, 5:42 PM
John,
Calm down! Call the dealer or rep....get someone to fix it! You can't do it all....it will cost you more if you break it...have a beer!

Any chance its a backwards thread?

John Miliunas
05-30-2004, 10:33 PM
Hey guys. Thanks for the suggestions. Ken, although there are holes both, in the weights and the wheels for four through-bolts, only two are used. (Heck, right now, I don't need *any*! :rolleyes: ) Tony, good thought and even tried that, in hopes of, if nothing else, breaking them loose. No go. Ken/Mark...Looks like I may indeed have to find/call a dealer. In the meantime, I'm gonna' have that beer! :D :cool:

Joe Suelter
05-31-2004, 1:31 PM
John...my Cub Cadet has wheel weights...they are pretty much only used for plowing snow/dirt. If your tractor isn't equiped with a plow, cut them off! HV did use some plastic wheel weights, they have probably expanded inside the wheel housing, thus making the removal complicated. If no plow, grab the sawz-all...after all, if you ever did get a plow for that tractor, new wheel weights and chains aren't all that expensive...you can even make them like Ken said! Good luck.

Jim Becker
05-31-2004, 2:44 PM
You could try a pressure washer to see if any "gunk" that is potentially acting like glue goes away...