PDA

View Full Version : Problems with new msg indicators...

Mark Mazzo
03-13-2003, 4:28 PM
Keith and/or Aaron,

I'm not sure if something has changed on my end or on the SMC end, but I have been having problems with the new message indicators and marking forums as read since the problems that SMC had earlier in the week.

I am browsing on Opera v7.03. When I log in I see that forums have new messages. If I then go into a forum and view messages and mark that forum "as read", the "new message icons" are not removed from that forum unless I explicitly refresh. Even after doing so, if I then go back to the main SMC page I still see the "new messages" icon shown for the forum that I just denoted "as read". I'vew tried restarting my browser, deleting my SMC cookie and the browser cache to no avail.

Any thoughts on this? Where is the info regarding what messages I have viewed kept? The strange thing is if I go to the site using IE, it seems to work.:confused:

-- Mark

Aaron Koehl
03-13-2003, 11:09 PM
Mark,

The New Post indicators are on a per-login basis and not a
per-view basis, and will stay on until you do one of two
things:

1. Logout (from the main page), or
2. 'Mark all forums as read' (at the bottom of the screen).

_Aaron_

Mark Mazzo
03-14-2003, 8:40 AM
Originally posted by Aaron Koehl
Mark,

The New Post indicators are on a per-login basis and not a
per-view basis, and will stay on until you do one of two
things:

1. Logout (from the main page), or
2. 'Mark all forums as read' (at the bottom of the screen).

_Aaron_

Hi Aaron,

In understand what you are saying, but I still see strange behavior that is different from the way the forums worked for me before. Maybe I did not explain the problems very well in my first message. Let me try to explain the way I usually browse the forums and then also denote what is occurring now.

First what I usually do:

What I usually do is come to SMC and look at the main page. Where I see the forums with the Yellow icons indicating new messages in a forum, I go to that forum. I then see the new messages at the top of the list with the "New" envelope to their left. I click on those and read them and then click "Mark this forum as read" (if I then refresh the page the "New" envelopes will be gone). Then I click on the SMC link in the "hierarchy" at the top and go back to the main page. When I get to the main SMC page and refresh I note that the Yellow icon for the forum that I had been visiting is now dimmed (i.e. no new messages). I then do this for the other forums. This way whenever I come back to SMC (note, I don't usually log out, I just leave it open during the day) I can do a refresh of the main page and see if there are any new messages by looking at the icons for each forum.

What is happening now:

The main SMC page seems to sometimes work as before, but if I go into a forum, read the new messages, and then "mark it as read" and refresh, the icons next to the messages that I just read do not go away. If I then go back the the main SMC page and refresh, it will usually show the correct status of whether new messages exist in the forum I had just "marked as read". However, if I then come back to a forum later I may note that a message that I had previously read is now at the top of the list with a new reply. If I click on that message to read it, I don't see the new reply in the message unless I click refresh after it has been displayed. Strange.:confused:

Hopefully this makes more sense. Let me know if you have any thoughts.

-- Mark