PDA

View Full Version : Bull Nose Bits for Wooden Hinges roundovers

Jeremy Leasure
11-12-2008, 1:11 PM
I've done a few bandsaw boxes in the past year or so since starting woodworking, and now I'd like to do some "flat work" boxes. I want to make wooden hinges for several of these. I made a big bulky prototype hinge that came out ok, using my tablesaw and a jig to cut the box joints then using a roundover bit, flipping the piece end for end to complete the rounding.

What I'd really like, though, is a few bullnose bits to do the roundover in one nice, completely smooth pass. The two sizes of hinge I'm likely to use are 1/4" and 3/8". Anything larger just seems bulky too bulky to me on smaller boxes.

Can anyone recommend a good radius/brand I'd need for these two sizes? I ordered a 1/4 radius Freud, but when I got it in today I realized my mistake. The interior curve cutting portion of the bit is actually 1/2". I suppose 3/16 and 1/8 radii is what I'm looking for. Should I just stick with this idea or is there a cheaper and better option?

Jim Finn
11-12-2008, 3:43 PM
I cut this shape on my band saw after making the box joint on my table saw, but a router would be easier for sure.

Charlie Plesums
11-12-2008, 8:58 PM
I have had very good results with Woodline for inexpensive (low use) bits. Be sure to distinguish between the radius (used for roundover bits) and the diameter (often used for bullnose bits).

I would worry about a wooden hinge in 1/4 or 1/2 inch wood... the pin doesn't have a lot of wood to push against. I have had good luck as thin as 3/4