PDA

View Full Version : Chittamwood

Jack Wood
05-30-2004, 7:07 AM
Hi, I have someone who is going to give me some Chittamwood and I need to know if theres anything different about working with it compared to other wood. I want to turn it and possibly resaw some in to small pieces to make boxes with. Thanks for any help:)

Ken Salisbury
05-30-2004, 7:48 AM
Hi, I have someone who is going to give me some Chittamwood and I need to know if theres anything different about working with it compared to other wood. I want to turn it and possibly resaw some in to small pieces to make boxes with. Thanks for any help:)I have had a disagreement with others in the area concerning "Chittamwood" which the locals claim grows only on Monte Sano mountain here in Huntsville. Actually Chittamwood is really osage organge (IMHO). It is a very hard wood, but turns OK. I have made a few pens from it, however it is not a favorite. It should be fine for boxes.

Jim Becker
05-30-2004, 8:59 AM
If this is indeed Osage Orange, it turns beautifully...but avoid the pith like the plague when you make up your blanks. One of the nice things about this species is that you can sand it up through the grits (like to 800 or above) and pretty much get a mirror shine without any other finish. It's very hard and durable--my mallet for chisel work is made from it...and quite beautiful, especially when it has that "fresh" yellow color. It will darken over time to brown from UV rays. Some folks think it gets muddy in that respect, but everything I've turned has, um...turned out very nice...even over time. There is enough differentiation between the early and late wood, IMHO, that it works well even after it darkens. BTW, it does not dry quickly, so expect it to stay "moist" for a very long time.

The best part is the weird experience of bright yellow curls coming off your tool when you turn OA for the first (and subsequent) time(s)...:)

Jack Wood
05-30-2004, 11:37 AM
Thanks Ken and Jim,Ken I've heard that same story. But acording to the tree book I have there is a "Chittamwood" but it's not common around here. From the pictures this wood indeed looks like Osage Orange or Bodark, Bois d'arc or if you get hit by one "hedge Apple":mad: I know that Bodark as I knowit, is hard as nails. Thanks for the info! Here's a pic of the "fruit" quite a misnomer there;)