PDA

View Full Version : Pinewood Derby Trophies

Steve Clarkson
11-12-2008, 10:46 AM
I've been asked to make some type of Pinewood Derby trophy for a local Cubscout Pack to replace the "standard" trophy. Since they need 20 of them, they were hoping to keep the cost under $20 each.

So my question is.....does anyone have any ideas for a very inexpensive trophy. What do you think of fashioning a stand using a 2x4 painted blue & gold with Tom's LaserBuzz car on top?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

John Frazee
11-12-2008, 1:09 PM
PDU has a resin of a pinewood derby car that all you have to do is engrave a plate for them.

Stephen Beckham
11-12-2008, 10:04 PM
Steve,

How about a flat-top? No... Not the hair cut kind....

Make them some flat top trophies of different heights with double stick tape at the top. Then the winner can affix his car to his trophy according to height.

The only problem is if they are going to give multiple catagory awards where as a kid might win twice... You'll need to know so you can offer them backup options....

Just thinking out of the box...

Steve Clarkson
11-13-2008, 5:57 AM
That's kinda what I was thinking to do with the Buzz car. And yes, the kid with the fastest car does usually win more than one trophy. Thanks anyway!

Joe Boiman
11-16-2008, 12:33 AM
When my son was a Cub Scout I engraved red alder picture frames with various information such as: 1st place, 2nd place, best of show, etc..etc.. (also included the pack #, and small car clipart) ,and this is where the WOW factor comes in.....Since we had the weigh in the night before, we took pictures of the scouts proudly holding their Pinewood Derby Car and had prints made up before Derby night, that way when it was time to present the award (laser engraved picture frame with appropriate class; 1st, 2nd, Best of Show etc.) we slipped in the picture of the Scout that won that award.

The parents and the Scouts loved receiving their awards due to the personalization of their own picture in the frame. Not just another trophy to sit on the shelf. :)

Steve Clarkson
11-16-2008, 7:40 AM
That's a good idea Joe! Thanks

Steve Clarkson
01-24-2009, 7:33 PM
Well, this isn't the trophy.....I ended telling them to go to a trophy shop for those!

But here is a trophy case that I came up with.....I suppose it could work as a trophy case for just about anything that could fit in it....anyway, I digress.....

The base is 2"x5"x11" and is made out of blue acrylic. The cover (yes, it comes off) is 4"x5"x11" and is made out of cast acrylic. I color filled the blue acrylic with gold rub n buff.

If I didn't use $40 worth of acrylic, it would make a great gift for every Cub Scout.

The cdr in v10 is attached.

Frank Corker
01-24-2009, 10:26 PM
That turned out rather nicely Steve. Did you try to make the box without the toothed joins? With the weld on stuff and it only being small I think you could get away with it.

Steve Clarkson
01-24-2009, 10:31 PM
Thanks.....no I didn't try to make it without the toothed joints.....I wanted to make it strong considering that it will be handled by some seven year old boy somewhere.

Frank Corker
01-24-2009, 10:33 PM
Good point