PDA

View Full Version : lumber in SE Mass

JohnT Fitzgerald
11-12-2008, 10:06 AM
Anyone have suggestions for good sources of lumber in Southeastern Mass? There's a place in Stoughton (Downes & Reader) that looks like it has a good selection. I'm not impressed with the local BORG selection and would like to have a better source....

Jeff Duncan
11-12-2008, 10:15 AM
Depends on what quantities you want to buy. If your talking about picking several boards out of a stack you won't find much better than Downes and Reader. If your buying several hundred bd. ft. at a time that's a whole different ballgame.
JeffD

JohnT Fitzgerald
11-12-2008, 10:53 AM
Probably in the 10's of BF, not 100's. I'd love to score a good qty of various woods, but I don't have the room to store it. Yet.

Gregg Condon
11-12-2008, 12:04 PM
John, woodfinder.com is a place to start, it found me a few here at the western end of the state.

Gregg

Clifford Mescher
11-12-2008, 12:10 PM
Anyone have suggestions for good sources of lumber in Southeastern Mass? There's a place in Stoughton (Downes & Reader) that looks like it has a good selection. I'm not impressed with the local BORG selection and would like to have a better source....
John, I like your avatar. They are great dogs. I lost my Rotty over ten years ago and still miss him. Clifford.

Daren K Nelson
11-12-2008, 12:11 PM
Why not try mill direct ? Better lumber, better prices. I compiled a list of sawmills/way to find mills. Hope it helps. http://nelsonwoodworks.biz/pb/wp_a9976cb4/wp_a9976cb4.html

Augusto Orosco
11-12-2008, 12:37 PM
Probably in the 10's of BF, not 100's. I'd love to score a good qty of various woods, but I don't have the room to store it. Yet.

I like the Downes & Reader you mentioned. I went there a couple of times to get acquainted with their selection and it looks good. From pine and poplar to several exotics in different sizes. They are very nice people, and don't mind helping you with small quantities. They would do things like cut long boards for free so you can fit them in your car, or allowing you to buy just a short piece of a long board, as long as there is at least 8' remaining for them to sell afterwards.

They can also surface the wood you buy for a $20 fee (I think it goes up after 100BF).

Also, there might be another supplier in Plymouth I came accross awhile ago while searching, but can't remember the name.

JohnT Fitzgerald
11-12-2008, 1:06 PM
Thanks for the info. D&R is not too far away, Plymouth might be too far. I can surface my wood, so maybe I'll do what you did and go there just to check it out.

Jay Jolliffe
11-12-2008, 1:09 PM
There is a place in Rowley Ma. called Righteous Woods on Route 1 they have a nice selection of domestic & imported....I've bought from them a few times & been very happy. I travel all the way from mid Maine to get wood.

Jeff Duncan
11-12-2008, 3:45 PM
Yeah for small quantities I'd stick with D&R for all the reasons already mentioned. They don't always have the best lumber quality, depends on the species, but it's as good as you'll get for your money on small quantities.
good luck,
JeffD

Maik Tobin
11-12-2008, 4:35 PM
Yeah for small quantities I'd stick with D&R for all the reasons already mentioned. They don't always have the best lumber quality, depends on the species, but it's as good as you'll get for your money on small quantities.
good luck,
JeffD
Totally agree.

I would not hesitate for that small a quantity. I have bought from Downes & Reader for many years. What species are you looking for?
If it is pine, there are several saw mills in SE Mass where you can get some great lumber at very good prices.

JohnT Fitzgerald
11-12-2008, 5:15 PM
Thanks Clifford - that's our Rudy (on the right) and Chase, our first "kids". We lost Rudy about 2 years ago, and Chase this past spring. Do you have any pics of yours?

JohnT Fitzgerald
11-12-2008, 5:17 PM
Maik - for now I'm looking for Maple. I'd love to get a lead on some sawmills in SE Mass, if you can recommend any...

Brian Backner
11-12-2008, 7:04 PM
JohnT,

There's also a guy in northern RI that will custom saw anything you want. I once went to him to get some quartersawn 7/4 poplar (don't ask) and he said "no problem." He's not the cheapest around, but if you need something special, or weird, he's the man. Name escapes me right now, but I'm sure I could dig it up if anybody wants it.

For just a lumber yard, I agree that D&R is probably your best bet closest to Mansfield. Interestingly, the last time I was in the HD on 140, they had some honest cabinet grade plywood - probably 6 months ago. Haven't tried any of their stuff, though, I tend to special order plywood from D&R for my projects as I typically use prefinished panels to save work on the back end.

Brian
Near Gillette Stadium

Maik Tobin
11-13-2008, 11:54 AM
Maik - for now I'm looking for Maple. I'd love to get a lead on some sawmills in SE Mass, if you can recommend any...

Not aware of any that regularly cut maple. There is a small one near me in Bellingham that cuts pine and oak, and I know of another in Freetown.

Jason White
11-15-2008, 8:31 AM
Downes & Reader is great!

You might also try Anderson & McQuaid in Cambridge. They also have the best selection of mouldings in MA.

Jason

Craig D Peltier
11-16-2008, 10:37 AM
I think theres a place in Dartmouth Mass ( padanaram area) I could get name if interested. I have friends in that area that work with wood and one of them told me this is one place to get some furniture grade wood.