PDA

View Full Version : Saw Jaw from Woodcaft - anyone have one?

Sean Rainaldi
11-12-2008, 8:50 AM
My arbor wrench from Grizzly that came with the 1023SL table saw is bent (the crescent wrench- the one that holds the arbor while tigetening the nut). I need a new one - it's pretty cheap stamped metal, I guess I tightened the saw blade too much and wrench could not take it.

I was looking at the Woodcraft Saw Jaw and was wondering if anyone has tried it. What do you think? Is it a waste of money - should I just buy another cheap wrench?

http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=146412&FamilyID=5368

Wouldn't that kind of wrench damage the carbide tips?

Thanks for any input.

Gary Lange
11-12-2008, 9:43 AM
It appears to be made from plastic so I can't see it damaging the blade.

David Keller NC
11-12-2008, 9:45 AM
I don't have one of these, but after looking over the Woodcraft tool, I don't think this is going to do what you want it to. The general design for table saws is an arbor that has a couple of flats ground on opposite sides, and an arbor nut that goes on the other side of the blade. To get a blade off, you have to hold the arbor still with a bent wrench, and use a standard wrench to loosen the arbor nut.

It looks like the Woodcraft tool will simply hold the blade still, which may work to initially loosen the arbor nut, but once it comes loose just a little, the arbor will spin inside the blade's arbor hole, and unless you've a bent wrench to hold that still, the arbor nut may still be on tight enough so that it requires a wrench to get it completely loose.

The first place I'd check is with Grizzly - if they want too much for a replacement wrench, here's another idea - bicycle shops sell thin wrenches for removing axle hubs and crank assemblies. They're very cheap, and if you can get one the right size, you can heat it up near the head with a torch, and bend it to your liking in a vise.

Sean Rainaldi
11-12-2008, 10:23 AM
Woodcraft site for this item says - "It now serves as a wrench with a large handle..."

So it's an inaccurate product claim?

Jason Beam
11-12-2008, 11:55 AM
Who says wrenches need to be metal? :P

They're pushing it a little, but their claim is true.

I have one and love it. Mine's orange, but still works perfectly. It keeps EVERY carbide tip safe. :)

It won't replace your wrench, though. You'll still need a regular wrench for the arbor nut. Incidentally, don't clamp down on that nut - just get it snug. The action of the blade spinning will self-tighten the nut. This thing will help hold the blade/arbor still while you work that nut.

Clay Crocker
11-12-2008, 11:57 AM
Sean,

I have used Saw Jaws for years, they work great. I bought one for each of my TS blades because they provide protection when the blade is stored (I just hang my blades on a pegboard hook when not in use).

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/Crocker85/Saw-Jaw.jpg

David's hypothetical description of how the Saw Jaw might work is not accurate. Yes, the Saw Jaw grips the blade so that you can loosen the arbor nut, but once the nut is loose it just spins right off by hand.

Not only does the Saw Jaw protect the blade when installing or removing, but it also protects your hands from the blade while reaching in to remove or apply the arbor nut. May not be a big deal for some guys, but I am 6'4" and have pretty big, clumsy hands :o.

I don't own any Saw Jaw stock, just a satisfied customer.:)

Clay

Bill Huber
11-12-2008, 1:40 PM
I have them and love them.

I like Clay keep my blades in them to hand them up keeps from hitting the teeth with anything.

When installing or removing the blade you never hit a tooth or you hand.

Michael Panis
11-12-2008, 2:33 PM
Yup. It works great, both for removing the blade, and storage.

Sean Rainaldi
11-12-2008, 3:53 PM
So the Saw Jaw completely negates or replaces the blade arbor crescent wrench?

Clay Crocker
11-12-2008, 4:12 PM
Sean,

I have never used an arbor wrench on my table saw.

Clay

Tom Veatch
11-12-2008, 5:17 PM
I'm with you, Clay. Maybe there's enough difference in table saws that some require an arbor wrench. For both saws I've owned, a scrap of wood against the blade teeth holds it enough that I can loosen the arbor nut with a single wrench. I can hold the blade with my hand or a scrap enough to snug up the nut with that single wrench. Never had or needed a second wrench. Nor have I ever been tempted to buy one of those blade changing vise do-hickeys.

M Toupin
11-12-2008, 5:37 PM
I'm with Clay & Tom, no need for a arbor wrench, a small scrap of wood works just as well and it's free.

Those things do look like they are very effective at removing $17 from a bunch of wallets though:D.

Mike

Chris Padilla
11-12-2008, 5:44 PM
And I'm with Clay & Tom & M (Mike)...I just use a wooden jam stick for my blades...the nearest piece of scrap becomes one and usually lasts quite a while. I think my current one is a plywood cut-off....

Bill White
11-12-2008, 6:32 PM
I've been afraid of warping the plate on the blade.
Bill

Fred Belknap
11-12-2008, 10:45 PM
Those Grizzly wrenches are just about as cheap as you can get. Mine bent maybe the second time I used it. I had a set that came with a Delta saw and they fit and they are a lot better metal. Grizzly outa have there butt kicked for making such a cheap wrench.

glenn bradley
11-12-2008, 11:01 PM
Woodcraft site for this item says - "It now serves as a wrench with a large handle..."

So it's an inaccurate product claim?

David is referring to an arbor like my current saw; two wrenches. Woodcraft is referring to an arbor like my previous saw; it used a single wrench. The manual actually showed jamming the blade with a piece of scrap to loosen the nut.

I made a "jig" out of a 2x4, jointed flat and then cut a stopped groove into it with the blade, double wide and about 1-1/2" deep. When set on top of the blade it would stop rotation and allow the nut to be loosened or tightened.

Easy to make, essentially free and easily replaceable but mine is still laying "right over there" even though I don't use it :).

Sean Rainaldi
11-13-2008, 9:12 AM
Those Grizzly wrenches are just about as cheap as you can get. Mine bent maybe the second time I used it. I had a set that came with a Delta saw and they fit and they are a lot better metal. Grizzly outa have there butt kicked for making such a cheap wrench.

Yeah, I love my new saw - only have had it for 2 weeks, have only cut two pieces of wood and wrench is already bent.