PDA

View Full Version : Hey David....let's have a 2nd cigar....

Ken Fitzgerald
11-11-2008, 11:56 PM
Here's my 2nd cigar pen done with tiger pradauk and titanium with a CA and BLO finish. I had a little trouble with the finish which I normally don't experience. In the end, I broke out the micromesh started with 1500 and went through 12,000. Then I applie 3 more coats of CA and BLO. Then I micromeshed and used EEE cream and white diamond buffed. The photos don't show the beauty of this wood. It has chatoyance..cat's eye effect. If the angle of the light changes, the curls seem to move and change. In the 2nd photo if you look close you'll see little groups of red lines squiggling down the length of the pen. Stunning wood!

Steve Schlumpf
11-11-2008, 11:58 PM
Very impressive pen Ken! Beautiful wood and finish! I'd have to say you've got the hang of that pen thing! Very nice work!

Jon Lanier
11-12-2008, 12:03 AM
I think it looks great. I don't use the BLO anymore. I just use the CA, spritz it with some excellerant... about 3 times and then micro mesh. White Diamond then Ren Wax.

Brian Brown
11-12-2008, 12:48 AM
Ken,

Great looking pen. Where do you get that wood? It looks really nice!

Ken Fitzgerald
11-12-2008, 12:53 AM
Brian I got it from Arizona Silhoette.

Did you like the photo? I tried to set a theme and wiped off the finger prints ....:D

Brian Brown
11-12-2008, 10:27 AM
Ken,

I do like the theme, and I really searched hard for fingerprints, but couldn't find any. :D The photo looks great. The metal on the tip and clip look excellent. Now I gotta find something else to pick at... oh I got it... You have a Mustard and you're making pens??? What's the matter with you? :eek::eek::eek: :D

Steve Schlumpf
11-12-2008, 10:36 AM
You have a Mustard and you're making pens??? What's the matter with you? :eek::eek::eek: :D

I second that question!

Paul Douglass
11-12-2008, 10:36 AM
Beautiful pen, Ken. Great piece of wood. Picture is great. Life is great.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-12-2008, 10:52 AM
Ken,

I do like the theme, and I really searched hard for fingerprints, but couldn't find any. :D The photo looks great. The metal on the tip and clip look excellent. Now I gotta find something else to pick at... oh I got it... You have a Mustard and you're making pens??? What's the matter with you? :eek::eek::eek: :D

I second that question!

Is there a target on my avatar?

Hey.....it's stable and when the DIL asked me to make some pens for a friend......this is the same DIL who married my youngest son and who are sending us to NZ next month.....She wants me to make pens for her friend....she gets pens!:D Mom and Dad Fitzgerald didn't raise a complete fool!

Steve Schlumpf
11-12-2008, 11:13 AM
Ken - no target! I have been roughing out a lot of hollow form and bowl blanks for the past month and there have been times that I WISH I had a bigger lathe! Figure if all you are going to turn on that mustard is pens.... I'll swap ya! LOL

Ken Fitzgerald
11-12-2008, 11:19 AM
As a matter of fact, I've got to finish at least 4 more pens....and then I've got a maple burl HF that's about 1/2 finished. I've got some deadlines to meet with these pens. for my DIL's friend and 2 to take to New Zealand with us for gifts for my friend and his wife in Christchurch.

Swap lathes? I will assure you that isn't going to happen.:D

Brian Brown
11-12-2008, 11:56 AM
Is there a target on my avatar?

Why yes Ken, I do see a target on your avitar!

this is the same DIL who married my youngest son and who are sending us to NZ next month.....She wants me to make pens for her friend....she gets pens!:D Mom and Dad Fitzgerald didn't raise a complete fool!

Ok Ken, I guess we'll cut you some slack, but after Christmas, we want to see that Mustard monster maxed out! ;)

Don Carter
11-12-2008, 7:34 PM
Ken:
Great looking pen. I love the wood but the workmanship is even better. When my family and I travel we always take some pens for our hosts. We have made friends in far away places and it is kind of cool to think they are using my pens. BTW, big lathes can make little things, but not the reverse. Size does matter...

Ken Fitzgerald
11-12-2008, 7:52 PM
Why yes Ken, I do see a target on your avitar!

Ok Ken, I guess we'll cut you some slack, but after Christmas, we want to see that Mustard monster maxed out! ;)

Thanks Brian! I was feeling guilty about teaching Tamara how to turn pens.

David Drickhamer
11-12-2008, 8:53 PM
OK Ken here they are. Number 2 and 3. One is Zebra wood and the other is Grapefruit. Both have a BLO/CA finish.

A note on turning Grapefruit. I found it a real pain in the butt to work with. Very porous and tears out if you look at it wrong. Tools need to be very sharp and take very light cuts.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-12-2008, 8:56 PM
Very, very nice David! Excellently done!

Bernie Weishapl
11-12-2008, 8:58 PM
Great looking pens my friend. I have quit using the BLO and use straight CA. I feel I get a better finish. You might want to try it on a scrap piece the first one or two but to me it gives a better finish. Great pic's Ken.