PDA

View Full Version : My Father.

Per Swenson
11-11-2008, 10:53 PM
It is veterans day and I would like to share something.
Today, my Father was honored by the Governor of NJ.
Now, I call him the old geezer and I say it in jest.
But the truth of the matter is Bob was tenth mountain.
The originals.
He went from the boot to Switzerland and lost a lot of buddy's
But he made it home.
And today dammit we remember the friends we have lost.
P.

Andrew Derhammer
11-11-2008, 11:17 PM
Tell him I said thank you to him, his buddies, and those who payed the ultimate price for our country.

Gary Herrmann
11-11-2008, 11:19 PM
Absolutely.

Your Father deserves the honor.

My Father was Army Air Corps. He was a glider pilot on D-Day. He never talked about it. Bravery and sacrifice are eternal, and remembrance of such damn well should be.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-11-2008, 11:23 PM
Tell your Dad....Thanks Per!

Mark Singer
11-11-2008, 11:33 PM
Per,
I really like your Father! He is a great person and it is great to think of him on this day. I lost a lot of friends and relatives and when I ask why the answer does not equate. Lives gone and I wonder why? Maybe some day we will know better.

Per Swenson
11-11-2008, 11:44 PM
No, It is I who thank you all.

John Keeton
11-12-2008, 7:03 AM
Per, it seems apparent that your image of a true renegade has holes in it - we won't tell anyone about that soft, caring part of you. Honors to your father, and to all that have served - and special memories for those that paid the ultimate price in sacrifice for others.

Tyler Howell
11-12-2008, 7:17 AM
Thanks to all the Veterans, their friends and family who have sacrificed so much.

Dad's are special. Mine was trapped behind enemy lines in the Philippines during WW11.

Tyler
Live Like You Mean It!

Jim Becker
11-12-2008, 7:36 AM
An honorable man and an honorable son. Thanks to Bob for his service and to Per for his fine example.

John Shuk
11-12-2008, 8:00 AM
Thanks Bob. Today and every day.

Dennis Peacock
11-12-2008, 8:13 AM
An honorable man and an honorable son. Thanks to Bob for his service and to Per for his fine example.

+1..!!! Absolutely.!!

Mark Roderick
11-12-2008, 8:14 AM
For Veteran's Day.

My grandfather on my mother's side, Markley Shaw was born in 1899. I was born on his birthday and bear his name. He fought in World War I (he lied on his enlistment papers because he was too young) and served as an engineer in World War II. He crossed onto the Continent a few days after D-Day and built bridges and roads for the Allied troops.

My grandfather on my father's side died while fighting Rommel in North Africa.

My uncle died in a helicopter in Vietnam. He name is on the black granite wall in Washington. If you've never been there, I strongly urge you to visit.

My father, Captain Roger L. Roderick, was West Point, Class of 1953. Field Artillery. He died in 1963 while on active duty of non-combat related causes (a brain tumor).

To all of them, and to all their comrades, a sincere thank you.

jeremy levine
11-12-2008, 10:52 AM
Honor them everyday

Brent Smith
11-12-2008, 1:32 PM
Congratulations and Thank You to your Dad Per.

My Dad was Royal Navy Commando in WWII. I lost him several years ago, but on each Rememberance Day (Veterans Day in the USA) he would always shed a couple of tears remembering his buddies that didn't come through. You Per, myself, and everyone else owe a debt of gratitude to all those that put their lives on the line so that we have the chance to share, and on occasion disagree, our thoughts and beliefs without being condemned for doing so.

Lee Schierer
11-12-2008, 3:34 PM
My Dad served on Tinian in the Pacific, loading bombs on B-29's. After the war he completed 30 years of service as a Warrant Officer in the Air Force. He was an ordinance disposal expert and taught at the Naval Ordinance School in Indianhead, MD for his final years of service. He was awarded the Navy Commendation Medal for his service at the school.

He also never talked much about the war and to be honest we never pushed him to tell us either. Now that he's gone, I think of him often, particularly on Vet's day.

Lee Schierer
Captain USNR (ret)

randall rosenthal
11-12-2008, 5:08 PM
what an honor for your dad....mine flew 56 combat missions and was shot down once......without him and your dad and all the other MEN of that generation i wouldnt be here wasting time with you guys....

and still today there are new vets that need more than our honoring....they need our help...a good day to write that check

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n186/randallro/woundedwarrior.jpg

Per Swenson
11-12-2008, 9:27 PM
Yes sir.
Now it's time to help our boy's and girls out.