PDA

View Full Version : osage orange hollar form

mike fuson
11-11-2008, 9:41 PM
This one measures 6 wide and 8 1/2 high, shellawax finish. I really like turning this stuff. Can't say I'm crazy about the finial, but it is what it is.
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/MikeFuson/hollow%20forms/osagefacecrack.jpg
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/MikeFuson/hollow%20forms/osagetwo.jpg
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/MikeFuson/hollow%20forms/osageunlided-1.jpg

Ken Fitzgerald
11-11-2008, 9:52 PM
Mike.....that's so beautiful they'll be "hollering for 'em"! Stunning wood, dead on form and finish. The finial looks good to my old eyes! Extremely well done Sir!

Don Carter
11-11-2008, 10:23 PM
Mike:
Every time I see one of your pieces, I think it is the best. This one is beautiful. Great work. I love the osage orange and the finial looks perfect to me.
All the best.

Don

Bernie Weishapl
11-11-2008, 10:40 PM
Another beautiful piece Mike. Great from, finish and finial.

Steve Schlumpf
11-11-2008, 11:50 PM
Mike - great form - as always! Beautiful wood! Love the grain and colors! I am also not sure about the finial. Great detail work on it but for some reason it looks a little large (length) for the hollow form. That's just my opinion and based on first impressions only.

Was wondering what your thoughts were on this variation?

Don't mean to offend - just throwing ideas out! ;)

Jon Lanier
11-12-2008, 12:05 AM
I looked at your pictures and thought... "Man, I like your finials." Then I read what you wrote. Ooops

Philip Duffy
11-12-2008, 5:02 AM
Steve, How did you take out a section of the finial? Mike, I love both versions, and the whole thing is quite wonderful, in either form. Phil

Jim Becker
11-12-2008, 7:46 AM
Aren't those bright yellow shavings fun to watch coming off the piece!??

Nice work.

Steve Schlumpf
11-12-2008, 9:56 AM
Philip - I used Photoshop to cut and paste - then just blended in the background.

Joshua Dinerstein
11-12-2008, 11:17 AM
I really like turning this stuff. Can't say I'm crazy about the finial, but it is what it is.

I am by no means a finial expert as I just started turning them for the first time this last weekend. But in looking at it personally I like the height but I found that for me the upper tear drop shape was just a little to thick. I liked the shape but found that it just seemed to swamp the rest of the finial.

I liked Steve's alteration too. By removing the thinner lower part it stops swamping the finial and looks great. Just my 2 cents.

But as always truly amazing work!

Joshua

David Walser
11-12-2008, 1:04 PM
Mike,

I really like the look of this hollow form. The bright yellow of the wood is complimented by the black of the lid. I particularly like the way you oriented the grain of the wood. This piece of osage orange has some fairly dramatic swirls and you've got them swirling up. It gives the hollow form a happy, joyous, look that matches it's sunshine color.

I agree with those who've suggested the finial is too heavy and/or, too tall. The elaborateness of it also seems too formal for the joyous, carefree, nature of the rest of the form. These are minor quibbles. I'd be proud to have made the piece and to display it.

Allen Neighbors
11-12-2008, 6:44 PM
Like it!!! Like the form and the finial. But I like Steve's mod, too. It does seem a little better with the narrow, lower part of the finial removed.
I can't do finials, so I really love 'em all.
I also love Bois d'Arc wood. Just cuts like butter, and finishes wonderfully!

Bill Bolen
11-12-2008, 7:54 PM
The color combination really sets this pretty piece off. I love the detail work of the finial, both versions! thanks for sharing Mike...Bill...

Rusty Smith
11-13-2008, 5:28 PM
Do you guys have any input on how to keep Osage orange (or yellow in this case)?? I know that Osage will turn dark when exposed to sunlight. Is there some UV protectant that keep it from turning?

Jim Becker
11-13-2008, 9:31 PM
Do you guys have any input on how to keep Osage orange (or yellow in this case)?? I know that Osage will turn dark when exposed to sunlight. Is there some UV protectant that keep it from turning?

Rusty, a UV additive (and keeping it out of sunlight) may help "slow" the color change, but it will not stop it...nature of the beast.

mike fuson
11-15-2008, 6:07 PM
Internet has been down for a few days here, so I'm just not looking at replies. Steve your version of the finial looks better on this form. In my defense, this piece was going to have a pedestal on it which would have made the finial look better but I exploded it. Thanks for looking.

Steve, to bad you can't photoshop the actual finial...:rolleyes:

Steve Schlumpf
11-15-2008, 6:10 PM
Mike - glad you are back online! You should have mentioned the pedestal - changes everything and the finial would have worked as is!

Ron Lynch
11-15-2008, 10:59 PM
Great looking form. I love Osage Orange, both for the color and the strong grain. I've turned a few small bowls from it and while it's hard, it polishes so nicely I can forgive it's hardness. I'm not a finial guy but it looks good to me.