PDA

View Full Version : Oneway Grinder wheel balancer

Bill Embrey
11-11-2008, 8:43 PM
All,

I just wanted to post a quick note here about the Oneway grinder wheel balancing kit. I purchased one of Woodcrafts slow speed grinders about 6 months ago. A lot of folks had mentioned that they were good grinders for the money and that they came with the 60 and 120 grit white wheels. I brought mine home and mounted it up with my Wolverine jig and the thing vibrated so bad it 'bout walked across the shop! Swapped the wheels for another set and it was a little better, but still not usable for turning tools. Broke down and purchased a set of wheels... again, a little better but not there yet.

I had looked at and read about the Oneway balancing kit, but couldn't find a lot of information from other folks about it. The guys at my local Woodcraft didn't keep it in stock (???) but they said they'd order it for me. I got it yesterday and followed the "very short" directions for balancing the wheels.... It is unbelievable the difference it made!!! Not a single bit of vibration and the grinder is nearly silent. Redressed the wheels and put a fresh edge on a couple of gouges... Major difference, much better edge on my turning tools.

If you are fanatical about sharpening and you do a lot on your 8" grinder... give the Oneway wheel balancer a look.

Bill

Jim Becker
11-11-2008, 9:25 PM
Yes, despite the initial cost of the balancing system, it, combined with some good wheels will take an inexpensive grinder and turn it into a smooth operating, enjoyable to use sharpening station. My grinder is a relatively inexpensive Tradesman setup with Norton 3X wheels in 60 and 100 grit and the OneWay balancing system. It's awesome.

Bruce Page
11-11-2008, 9:36 PM
I went through the same scenario with my Delta 8” grinder and never could get it to run smooth. I bought the Oneway System and have been running smooth ever since. It’s a great product.

John Shuk
11-12-2008, 8:03 AM
It works very well. Needs to be tried.

Bob Noles
11-12-2008, 1:46 PM
Beware.... if you purchase the Woodcraft slow speed grinder, you will have to purchase grinder wheels other than the ones that come with it in order to use the Oneway balancing kits. The Woodcraft wheels will not fit the kit. Kind of got off with me, but I bit the bullet and purchased some 3X wheels and now am a happy camper.

Tony Zaffuto
11-12-2008, 2:59 PM
Bob,

What is it that makes the Woodcraft wheels not compatable with the Oneway kit?

I must be one of the lucky ones with my Woodcraft slow speed grinder, as the grinder runs very smooth with the stock wheels. I also find the stock wheels to be pretty good for the money, maybe not as good as the Norton 3X I have on a high speed industrial Delta, but not far from the Norton.

T.Z.

Bob Noles
11-12-2008, 4:08 PM
Bob,

What is it that makes the Woodcraft wheels not compatable with the Oneway kit?

T.Z.

Hi Tony,

The arbor hole size prevents the use of the balancing kit.

Brent Smith
11-12-2008, 4:36 PM
Hi Bob,

Is it that the arbor hole is too big, or too small. Oneway has bushings for larger holes, I believe Lee Valley carries some of them.

Bob Noles
11-12-2008, 6:01 PM
Brent,
It is too small and cannot be adapted. It is only big enough to fit on the grinder shank/rod and nothing else. New wheels are the only option.

Derek Hansen
11-12-2008, 6:55 PM
Are there any other balancing kits out there besides the Oneway?

Phil Warnement
11-13-2008, 8:31 AM
I've been thinking about buying the Oneway system for a while now. If I remember correctly the opening on the wheel had to be 1" in diameter. I assumed that you knocked the bushings out of the grinding wheels and then mounted them on the Oneway grinding system. Is this correct, or am I just blowing smoke through a bushing? Could someone please post the install procedure process, because I don't remember seeing wheels with 1" diameters. I could have missed them...............probably did. Please post !!!!!!!! Thank you in advance.

Jim Becker
11-13-2008, 8:42 AM
Phil, the OneWay Balancing System (http://www.oneway.ca/sharpening/balancing.htm) requires wheels with the standard "naked" 1" opening. Just remove the plastic inserts that are in the wheels and there should be a 1" hole. This is the issue with the OEM wheels on the Woodcraft slow-speed setup...those wheels are not "standard".