PDA

View Full Version : Cradle for my first nephew

Nathan Talley
11-11-2008, 7:14 PM
When I found out my sister in law was pregnant I decided I wanted to make the little fella something really nice, instead of buying something plastic and cheap.
I had this cradle plan from wood magazine from last year so I thought I'd give it a go. I made it collapsible like the plan called for, but if I make this again it won't be. It took alot of time to get the mortise, tenons and pegs just right :eek:. It's made of red oak, with walnut pegs. I'm still in the process of making the storage box.
I can't wait to make the kid a bunch of wooden toys.
As a side note this project gave the the perfect reason to buy my first bandsaw the Grizzly G0555 with extension block, and we are very happy together.

Jim Becker
11-11-2008, 8:00 PM
Nice work, Nathan!

Clive Mamby
01-16-2009, 10:24 AM
Nice Job!!! I completed the same cradle a couple weeks ago. It is for my first Grandchild...due in May. I have also completed the Crib (Rockler Heirloom). Trying to decide on a design for the changing table...open shelf or dresser type.

Jason Tuinstra
01-16-2009, 11:31 AM
Glad to hear the relationship is working out :p

Nice project. The walnut pegs are a nice touch. While I don't know if the little guy will appreciate his new digs, I'm sure your sister-in-law will. Good job.

Charles Saunders
01-16-2009, 12:34 PM
Just my $0.02, Nathan, but I think some of the real utility of this piece is in the ability to collapse and store it. I hope you do have an opportunity to make another one ;). Very nice project. Thanks for sharing it.

John Thompson
01-16-2009, 7:37 PM
Nice touch and looks great Nathan. I totally agree about purchasing plastic stuff with a shop full of tools.

Sarge..

Ron Jones near Indy
01-16-2009, 8:24 PM
That is a very nice cradle Nathan. I'll bet it stays in the family for decades.

lou sansone
01-17-2009, 8:16 AM
very nice work

lou