PDA

View Full Version : suggestions on TS miter guages...

chris fox
11-11-2008, 6:06 PM
I have narrowed my choices to Incra SE 1000 and Osborne EB-3 Miter Gauge by Excaliber(apparently Norm A. uses this one). Both of these run under $150. I havent seen others under $225 that offer more for me than these two.
I havent been able test or review the quaility of the Excaliber like I have with the SE1000. Anyone here use the Excaliber? Pros/cons?
Or offer another brand/model within my prce range of $150.

As always thanks
Chris

James Hart
11-11-2008, 6:08 PM
Chris,

I picked up the Incra on Amazon about 6 weeks ago for $105, including an additional 24" miter bar. Whichever you decide, keep an eye out there for a while. The prices change out of nowhere.

Jim

Cary Falk
11-11-2008, 6:12 PM
1000se..........................

Bill White
11-11-2008, 6:13 PM
Me too. Got the SE, and am well pleased.
Bill

James Hart
11-11-2008, 6:14 PM
Chris,

I picked up the Incra on Amazon about 6 weeks ago for $105, including an additional 24" miter bar. Whichever you decide, keep an eye out there for a while. The prices change out of nowhere.

Jim

This deal is on right now.....

Dewey Torres
11-11-2008, 6:20 PM
Another vote for the Incra...

Great product great company and I honestly can't imagine how to improve it. Other miter gauges may be "as good" but I doubt there are many out there that are better. A quick search on discussions which talk to the Incra 1000se and you will get a good idea.

Whatever you decide on, it will certainly be better than an OEM gauge! The deal for $105 is about as low as it gets for this gauge.

Dave Sweeney
11-11-2008, 7:21 PM
Another satisfied 1000SE owner.

Aaron Berk
11-11-2008, 8:06 PM
I run a 1000se also. I got mine off ebay for under $100, and now that I've got it I would easily pay more for it. My personal favorite function is the FlipShopStop It's awesome for squaring up one end of a work piece, then dropping down into place for crosscutting to length. The 1/10 degree scale is right on the money too, I love being able to trim a cats hair on a miter to make it "just right"
I've got no clue about the other gauge you mentioned, but INCRA is the best I've ever used.

scott spencer
11-11-2008, 8:26 PM
Chris - I've got an EB-3 (http://www.epinions.com/review/Osborne_EB_3_Miter_Guide/content_213366771332) and an Incra V27 (http://www.epinions.com/review/Incra_V27_Miter_Gauge/content_195368423044)with an aftermarket extension fence. Both are great gauges but have different strengths. The arm on the EB-3 makes the fence stiffer, and the Incra goes to 60° vs 45°.

Jay Yoder
11-11-2008, 9:46 PM
I had the Osborne first but returned it. The support arm flexed over 1/16" so i returned it ant got the Incra. I absolutely love the fit, finish, accuracy and quality. try em both if you can.

chris fox
11-11-2008, 10:49 PM
I think everyone has made it easier for me...tonight my wife handed me an expired a Rockler mailer which had the SE 1000 for 99.99 - down from 159.00.
I will check out Amazon

Bill Huber
11-11-2008, 10:53 PM
I have the EB-3 and have no problems. I really like the heftiness of it. I also like the extension for longer boards. I guess I just like the way it is set up with the support in the middle for the angles.

I really don't think you could go wrong with either of them, they are both very good units.

You can get the EB-3 for $109.

http://www.osbornemfg.com/?gclid=CP-tkLvd7pYCFQq4sgodRnCjqw

Mark Valsi
11-11-2008, 11:37 PM
INCRA, second to none

Rick Thom
11-12-2008, 4:13 AM
Do consider Jessem Miter Excell http://www.jessem.com/new_products.htm . A little more dough at $199 recent street price but a great product and product line. Personally I have Incra but like Jessem just as much. A fine piece of precision equipment.

Bob Slater
11-12-2008, 5:03 AM
Just bought one from Amazon for $104 shipped, which is difficult because they won't ship tools to Canada. I must remember to not wake up in the middle of the night, come here and shop online!!

Art Moore
11-12-2008, 6:25 AM
I have both the 1000SE and V27, and am very happy with both.

Wayne Cannon
11-13-2008, 3:18 AM
As everyone here probably knows, I'm not a fan of the Incra 1000 SE. I do have one, and it works fine. However, it's heavy, has too many unnecessary projections and sharp edges, and requires a separate allen wrench for some adjustments, and uses a proprietary fence extrusion which limits its versatility.

My favorites are the Woodhaven Deluxe Miter Gauge (and its almost identical twin, the Kreg Precision Miter Gauge). I also like my Osborne EB-3, but the Woodhaven/Kreg is my workhorse.

The Woodhaven/Kreg miter gauges are solid, yet light, very accurate, and have fences of standard and widely-available aluminum extrusion for easy modification, extension, and a wide range of after market stops and accessories -- and they have no annoying projections.

If you want an Incra, you can have mine for the cost of packaging and shipping (It has very little use)! Just send me a private message.

John Gregory
11-13-2008, 11:14 AM
http://www.woodpeck.com/incramiter1kse.html
$99.99

I have this one, and I am pleased with it.

Chris Knudsen
11-13-2008, 11:18 AM
Another vote for the JessEm. Super simple to use and top level of accuracy.

Bob Slater
11-13-2008, 11:31 AM
As everyone here probably knows, I'm not a fan of the Incra 1000 SE. I do have one, and it works fine. However, it's heavy, has too many unnecessary projections and sharp edges, and requires a separate allen wrench for some adjustments, and uses a proprietary fence extrusion which limits its versatility.

My favorites are the Woodhaven Deluxe Miter Gauge (and its almost identical twin, the Kreg Precision Miter Gauge). I also like my Osborne EB-3, but the Woodhaven/Kreg is my workhorse.

The Woodhaven/Kreg miter gauges are solid, yet light, very accurate, and have fences of standard and widely-available aluminum extrusion for easy modification, extension, and a wide range of after market stops and accessories -- and they have no annoying projections.

If you want an Incra, you can have mine for the cost of packaging and shipping (It has very little use)! Just send me a private message.

What a generous offer!

Lee Schierer
11-13-2008, 12:22 PM
I have a Kreg miter gauge and it has been excellent so far. I recently made two crown molding boxes cutting the 45 degrees with at tilted blade. The cross cut guide cut the 90's perfect as best I can tell. Switching from the left miter slot to the right one and back again was quick and accurate. I really like the flip up stop that came standard with mine

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~us71na/cherry%20box%202.jpg

Drew Eckhardt
11-13-2008, 6:16 PM
I have narrowed my choices to Incra SE 1000 and Osborne EB-3 Miter Gauge by Excaliber(apparently Norm A. uses this one). Both of these run under $150. I havent seen others under $225 that offer more for me than these two.
I havent been able test or review the quaility of the Excaliber like I have with the SE1000. Anyone here use the Excaliber? Pros/cons?
Or offer another brand/model within my prce range of $150.

As always thanks
Chris

I have an Incra 1000 upgraded with the 27" - 40 something inch telescoping fence and flip stop.

The unique features are the sliding scale and incremental track. You can set the scale to read the inside or outside length of a miter at any angle after one test cut. If you screw up and need to make new parts, you can reset the stop back to where it was within .001-.002".

Christopher Stahl
11-13-2008, 9:35 PM
Another vote for Jessem Mite R Excel. It is accurate and worth the money.

Tim Null
11-14-2008, 10:21 AM
Hey Wayne,

Does that offer still stand? Or has somebody already taken you up on it?

TimN

Ed Sallee
11-14-2008, 3:24 PM
I recently bought the Incra 1000SE. I've made a couple of boxes with it, but my current project put it to the test. My current project is this display case from WOOD Magazine, September 2006 issue. The wood is Wormy American Chestnut and had to slice up 40 each - 45's to make up the 20 each - 90 degree corners. Which all came out without a hitch. Easy, and accurate - out of the box!
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn88/evsallee/DSC06267.jpg
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn88/evsallee/Display.gif

Matt Benton
11-14-2008, 3:50 PM
I got the Jessem off of Ebay with the 30% cashback for $90 shipped.

I think you'd be hard pressed to do better on a new miter guage (even at 25% CB)...

Rod Sheridan
11-15-2008, 1:48 PM
Another vote for the Jessem Mitre Excel, very solid, accurate and repeatable....Rod.

keith micinski
11-15-2008, 9:36 PM
My osbourne is not adjustable enough in the slide bar and I am not able to get it to fit tight in my slot on my table saw. Also when I cut pieces over 24" it becomes more inaccurate. Plus I wish the measuring tape on top was adjustable.

Terry Beadle
11-16-2008, 9:10 AM
Take a look on Amazon for the Kreg KMS7102 Table Saw Precision Miter Gauge System at $139.

I got one at the Atlanta wood working show three years ago and I've been very pleased with the price/performance of the unit. Dead on square and is easily tuned to my griz TS. It has a system to get down to a tenth of a degree. No flex in the bar. Adjustable T slot fittings.

I am not associated with Kreg except as a satisfied customer. :p

Heather Thompson
11-16-2008, 10:41 AM
I have the EB-3 and the Incra Miter Guage 5000, (basically a crosscut sled on steroids), both are fine pieces of equipment but I prefer the EB-3 for day to day work.

Heather