PDA

View Full Version : Odd router problem but I was able to fix it

John Ricci
11-11-2008, 5:58 PM
I have a Craftsman 315.248700 (Ryobi RE600) mounted in a LV table which has been performing flawlessly for years until the other day when in the middle of one of my toy whistle marathons it suddenly jumped to full speed and would no longer adjust with the control. The first thing I did was to open the cover on the switch/speed control and remove a ton of sawdust and clean the speed control pot which did absolutely nothing:mad: After looking at the way the wiring was run in the router I then flipped the table top and removed the end cap off of the router. The problem was staring me in the face. On the end of the motor shaft there is a ceramic ring magnet which spins in proximity to a Hall Effect transistor to sense shaft speed. The magnet had grenaded into three pieces but stayed contained because the router had been hanging upside down in the table...lucky for me or it could have been worse.

The magnet is not even mentioned in the parts breakdown for the router so I figured I had nothing to lose by trying to fix it. A bit of cyanoacrylate glue put the magnet back into one piece and I re-glued it into place on the shaft and hoped for the best. The verdict...speed control is as good as new and I was able to run it all afternoon without a problem so far. I just hope the glue holds or the still in its box FT2000E I have had for years takes its place. Has anyone else run into this problem with a variable speed router of any sort?

J.R.

Bill White
11-11-2008, 6:23 PM
I have a Craftsman 315.248700 (Ryobi RE600) mounted in a LV table which has been performing flawlessly for years until the other day when in the middle of one of my toy whistle marathons it suddenly jumped to full speed and would no longer adjust with the control. The first thing I did was to open the cover on the switch/speed control and remove a ton of sawdust and clean the speed control pot which did absolutely nothing:mad: After looking at the way the wiring was run in the router I then flipped the table top and removed the end cap off of the router. The problem was staring me in the face. On the end of the motor shaft there is a ceramic ring magnet which spins in proximity to a Hall Effect transistor to sense shaft speed. The magnet had grenaded into three pieces but stayed contained because the router had been hanging upside down in the table...lucky for me or it could have been worse.

The magnet is not even mentioned in the parts breakdown for the router so I figured I had nothing to lose by trying to fix it. A bit of cyanoacrylate glue put the magnet back into one piece and I re-glued it into place on the shaft and hoped for the best. The verdict...speed control is as good as new and I was able to run it all afternoon without a problem so far. I just hope the glue holds or the still in its box FT2000E I have had for years takes its place. Has anyone else run into this problem with a variable speed router of any sort?

J.R.

I wouldn't have known what a Hall Effect thingy was anyway.
Glad ya got 'er fixed.
Bill

John Ricci
11-11-2008, 6:37 PM
I wouldn't have known what a Hall Effect thingy was anyway.
Glad ya got 'er fixed.
Bill

Sorry if I got a bit wordy explaining but once an old electronics nerd...:o

J.R.

Anthony Whitesell
11-11-2008, 7:57 PM
That's OK. I know more about hall effect thingys than anyone wants to know...I used to be a semiconductor test engineer for a hall effect integrated circuit manufacturer.