PDA

View Full Version : Am I living in the Bizarro world?

Ben Rafael
11-11-2008, 4:02 PM
I really wanted a Corned Beef sandwich today so I went to the deli around the corner from me. I ordered a Corned Beef on Rye bread. They served it to me with mayo on both slices of the bread. I asked the waitress to take it back and give me one without anything on it, which is the correct way(IMO) to serve it. I would put some mustard on it myself. She asked what was wrong and I told her that nobody puts mayo on corned beef on rye, she said everybody she serves eats it that way.
Is it just me or has the world gone nuts? What's next? Maple syrup on pizza?
Putting mayo on corned beef on rye is like putting rustoleum on a Maloof rocker.
Thanks for letting me vent.

Mike Henderson
11-11-2008, 4:11 PM
I always put mayo on my corned beef sandwich. Just wouldn't seem right without it. Don't really like mustard much.

Mike

Ben Rafael
11-11-2008, 4:13 PM
I always put mayo on my corned beef sandwich. Just wouldn't seem right without it. Don't really like mustard much.

Mike

Wise guy.:D

JohnT Fitzgerald
11-11-2008, 4:14 PM
she said everybody she serves eats it that way

Duh, of course they do....'cuz that's how she serves it! :)

curtis rosche
11-11-2008, 4:15 PM
i havent tried mayo, but i think that sweet mustard of corn beef is good.

i also think that apple sauce on cold pizza is good, i doesnt sound good, but it is really good, try it sometime

Heather Thompson
11-11-2008, 4:18 PM
Send it back, never go there again, YUCK!!!!!!!!!!! I eat some different combinations of food here in my home, but not before I tell you, mayo with corned beef, BARF on the floor!

Heather

Ben Rafael
11-11-2008, 4:18 PM
i havent tried mayo, but i think that sweet mustard of corn beef is good.

i also think that apple sauce on cold pizza is good, i doesnt sound good, but it is really good, try it sometime

I've had apple on pizza before. It was good. Was at one of those hoity-toity upscale pizza joints.

Pat Germain
11-11-2008, 4:19 PM
Blasphemy! Must be a California thing. I think California was also the first place to put mayonnaise on hamburgers. (I grew up in SoCal.)

Randy Cohen
11-11-2008, 4:36 PM
I like mayo on one side and mustard on the other.
Did you leave a tip?

Ben Rafael
11-11-2008, 4:40 PM
I like mayo on one side and mustard on the other.
Did you leave a tip?

Of course I left a tip. It's not her fault the place is poorly managed.

Chuck Thoits
11-11-2008, 7:19 PM
The problem is not the mayo. It's the rye bread.:)

Sonny Edmonds
11-11-2008, 7:38 PM
I don't like Lima Beans, or Rutabagas.
Otherwise I'll eat about anything. And I usually find it's pretty good the way the cook likes to make it.
Usually the only thing I'll add is pepper.

Now I'm salivating over a nice corned beef sammy. Can I have the one you sent back?

(OK, as I've grown older, Lima beans aren't too bad if there is more ham than beans.) :p

Mike Henderson
11-11-2008, 7:46 PM
One other California thing that was a problem for me (for a while) was the pizza with pineapple and other fruit. I moved here from the east coast and pizza was tomato sauce, cheese, onions, sausage, etc. but never fruit.

I'm still not crazy about it but I will eat it now if I go to a party and they have a variety of pizza available.

And like Chuck, I'm not crazy about rye bread either. So I have my corned beef on wheat with mayo, and maybe just a touch of hot mustard.

Mike

Chuck Thoits
11-11-2008, 7:52 PM
Mike fear not they have started doing the fruity pizza thing here now. Oh and don't forget to get your broccoli pizza.:eek:

Bill Pealer
11-11-2008, 8:02 PM
Don't remember the commercial, but remember a scene where the customer complains about the mayo on his sandwich. Waitress scrapes the mayo off on the side of the table & hands it back. Now that is funny.

Craig Nickles
11-11-2008, 8:57 PM
I always put mayo on mine.......:D

Justin Leiwig
11-11-2008, 9:21 PM
The only way to eat corned beef is on sourdough with spicy brown mustard and swiss cheese!

Robert Brandt2
11-11-2008, 9:32 PM
You haven't had the california pizza with the flowers yet?

Ben Rafael
11-11-2008, 9:37 PM
You haven't had the california pizza with the flowers yet?

That's Berkeley.

mark page
11-11-2008, 9:44 PM
Didn't a bona-fide reuban (sp?) samich have Russian dressing on it???? I know I'm straying a bit from a straight corned-beef samitch and also throwing the Kraut and Swiss on it.
It don't matter much to me as I love corned-beef no matter how it's served.

David DeCristoforo
11-11-2008, 10:37 PM
Being Italian, I never eat corned beef except on St. Pat's day and then only 'cause my wife's Irish. But we NEVER put anything on it but mustard. Scheech. It's like those "new wave" sushi bars where they put mayo in the sushi!?!? BARF. It's gotta be because all of the fast food joints and their tasteless crap that is always slathered with mayo because that's the only way to give it any flavor. So now everyone thinks you gotta put mayo on everything. Oh and BTW, anyone who puts fruit on a pizza should be banished from the planet or at least sent to live in Hawaii where they will have nothing to eat but pineapples and coconuts for the rest of their lives.

Eric Larsen
11-11-2008, 10:49 PM
First I get a corned beef brisket, and dump the contents (meat, seasonings, blood) into a foil pouch.

Then I add half a bottle of brown ale to the pouch. Let rest.

Next, light some charwood (not charcoal - never use charcoal). Use four/five good sized chunks.

While the charwood burns down, boil some red potatoes. Then season them with salt & pepper and place around the sides of the grill.

When the charwood is ready, place the pouch on a grate about 2 inches from the coal bed. Allow to cook for 1/2 hour.

Next, remove the brisket from the pouch, reserve the liquid.

Return the brisket to the grill and char the sides until well caramelized.

Rest the meat under tinfoil.

Then, make a blond roux. Create a milk gravy from the roux, reserved liquid and some half-and-half. Seasoning will be unnecessary, the liquid is very salty.

Remove the potatoes from the grill (or earlier, depending on how hot the fire was).

Slice brisket on the bias wafer thin and serve with mustard, horseradish, and the potatoes (mashed and covered with gravy.) Cabbage, honey-sauteed carrots and sauteed onions go well as sides.

Corned beef is too good for bread!

David G Baker
11-11-2008, 11:31 PM
Last time I had corned beef on rye the place put thousand island dressing on it. I like mustard and sauerkraut.

Ray Klear
11-12-2008, 12:09 AM
Corned beef is best eaten with horseradish :)

Mitchell Andrus
11-12-2008, 12:11 AM
Yep, mayo on corned beef. REAL corned beef - not that rubbery stuff that comes in a loaf.

Mitchell Andrus
11-12-2008, 12:12 AM
YES! Mayo & swiss on rye.

Eric DeSilva
11-12-2008, 7:06 AM
Oh and BTW, anyone who puts fruit on a pizza should be banished from the planet or at least sent to live in Hawaii where they will have nothing to eat but pineapples and coconuts for the rest of their lives.

I hate fruit on pizza, but might take it up if someone is willing to banish me to Hawaii.

I am a fan of mayo on a lot of sandwiches--turkey, ham--but corned beef? Ick. Brown mustard.

Curt Harms
11-12-2008, 8:33 AM
Blasphemy! Must be a California thing. I think California was also the first place to put mayonnaise on hamburgers. (I grew up in SoCal.)

My SWMBO is Philly born & bred. She puts mayo on her hamburgers. I, being an expat Cheesehead, don't:D

Tim Thomas
11-12-2008, 8:39 AM
How I like to construct my corned beef sammich:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Slice of rye bread xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
--- Thin layer of deli mustard with horseradish ---
~~~~~~~~~~ Corned beef ~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~ More corned beef ~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~ Even more corned beef ~~~~~~~~~
~~~~ Just one more slice of corned beef ~~~~~
~~~~ Seriously, last slice of corned beef ~~~~~

If you don't have trouble opening your mouth wide enough to take a bite, then you didn't add enough corned beef. Unfortunately, I have a really big mouth...

Jim Becker
11-12-2008, 9:17 AM
Good example, Tim. My mother would have been horrified of such a construction as when my brother an I were growing up a sandwich had one slice of meat and one slice of cheese...almost a "wish sandwich". But I do have to admit that I've seen some deli sandwiches that pretty much require two people to eat them or two separate meals for one person to finally finish!

Sonny Edmonds
11-12-2008, 9:23 AM
Well yes you are living in a bizarro world.
At least it sure seems so to me. :confused:
Did anybody ever tell you you are a picky eater?

One day at a restaurant, my tool partner and I are waiting for the waitress to take our orders.
This weirdo in the back corner is giving the waitress a very, very specific order... this, not that, and this done this way, and... jeese!
Finally she gets clear of Mr. Windbag and comes to our table. John and I tend to make light of things and I looked up at her young face, smiled and said, I'm gonna make mine real simple, I'd like the soup and sandwich special.
She knew, and we knew, we were going to have a good time and a nice lunch. She kept our glasses full, and got a big tip.
It's fun to brighten someones day. :D

When it comes out in the end, you'd never recognise it anyway.
(Except for the corn...)

David G Baker
11-12-2008, 9:28 AM
Jim,
In grammar school my lunch consisted of two slices of bread with apple butter spread on them. By the time lunch rolled around the apple butter had soaked into the bread. Talk about a wish sandwich.

Brent Smith
11-12-2008, 9:59 AM
I really wanted a Corned Beef sandwich today so I went to the deli around the corner from me. I ordered a Corned Beef on Rye bread. They served it to me with mayo on both slices of the bread. I asked the waitress to take it back and give me one without anything on it, which is the correct way(IMO) to serve it. I would put some mustard on it myself. She asked what was wrong and I told her that nobody puts mayo on corned beef on rye, she said everybody she serves eats it that way.
Is it just me or has the world gone nuts? What's next? Maple syrup on pizza?
Putting mayo on corned beef on rye is like putting rustoleum on a Maloof rocker.
Thanks for letting me vent.

If a Deli here in Montreal put Mayo on Corned Beef or Smoked Meat :eek: :confused:, they'd get burned down, their families would be ostracized from society, their bank accounts would be seized, people from all over the city would gather in front of their house and laugh at them, small children and pets would be warned to stay away from them, and finally they would be shown the border and sent to work in a Deli in Los Angeles where apparently fooling with time honored tradition is Okay :mad:............

In other words, no the world hasn't gone crazy, just one Deli around the corner from you Ben !!!!!! ;)

Eric DeSilva
11-12-2008, 10:24 AM
~~~~~~ Even more corned beef ~~~~~~~~~
~~~~ Just one more slice of corned beef ~~~~~
~~~~ Seriously, last slice of corned beef ~~~~~

OK, now I'm hungry. Lunch is still 1.5 hours away.

Chris Padilla
11-12-2008, 10:35 AM
OK, now I'm hungry. Lunch is still 1.5 hours away.

It's noon somewhere in the world! ;)

Chris Padilla
11-12-2008, 10:36 AM
Oh and BTW, anyone who puts fruit on a pizza should be banished from the planet or at least sent to live in Hawaii where they will have nothing to eat but pineapples and coconuts for the rest of their lives.

Mmmm, pineapple and ham pizza is AWESOME but then I love just about anything one puts on a pizza....

How about fruit in beer, David?! :D

Ben Rafael
11-12-2008, 10:37 AM
Didn't a bona-fide reuban (sp?) samich have Russian dressing on it???? I know I'm straying a bit from a straight corned-beef samitch and also throwing the Kraut and Swiss on it.
It don't matter much to me as I love corned-beef no matter how it's served.

Yes. I've also had it with pastrami instead of corned beef and it is also very good. Can't beat a good reuben.

Jim Becker
11-12-2008, 10:50 AM
How about fruit in beer, David?!

Ah, yes...Dos Equis doesn't quite taste the same without the lime... :D

Ben Rafael
11-12-2008, 11:03 AM
Get the brown label Dos Equis, it doesn't need the lime....or any mayo.

Rod Sheridan
11-12-2008, 11:33 AM
If a Deli here in Montreal put Mayo on Corned Beef or Smoked Meat :eek: :confused:, they'd get burned down, their families would be ostracized from society, their bank accounts would be seized, people from all over the city would gather in front of their house and laugh at them, small children and pets would be warned to stay away from them, and finally they would be shown the border and sent to work in a Deli in Los Angeles where apparently fooling with time honored tradition is Okay :mad:............

In other words, no the world hasn't gone crazy, just one Deli around the corner from you Ben !!!!!! ;)

My thoughts exactly Brent.

Now if you could just resurect Bens...........Rod.

Lucas Bittick
11-12-2008, 1:12 PM
Hello Ben-- blame it on Los Angeles. Not exactly world-renowned for corned beef sandwiches.

Brent Smith
11-12-2008, 1:18 PM
My thoughts exactly Brent.

Now if you could just resurect Bens...........Rod.

AHHH.......sorry to say Rod, but the wrecking ball made contact with the building a couple of weeks ago.....Ben's is a done deal. There are, however, still numerous great Smoked Meat joints here in town. Let me know if/when you plan on passing through and I'll introduce you to them :).

Ben Rafael
11-12-2008, 2:04 PM
Hello Ben-- blame it on Los Angeles. Not exactly world-renowned for corned beef sandwiches.

There are a few places that make a decent one.
The best corn rye on the planet is here. A few bakeries here make it fresh, one of them makes a corn rye that is supreme.

JohnT Fitzgerald
11-12-2008, 2:06 PM
Being Italian, I never eat corned beef except on St. Pat's day and then only 'cause my wife's Irish. But we NEVER put anything on it but mustard. Scheech. It's like those "new wave" sushi bars where they put mayo in the sushi!?!? BARF. It's gotta be because all of the fast food joints and their tasteless crap that is always slathered with mayo because that's the only way to give it any flavor. So now everyone thinks you gotta put mayo on everything. Oh and BTW, anyone who puts fruit on a pizza should be banished from the planet or at least sent to live in Hawaii where they will have nothing to eat but pineapples and coconuts for the rest of their lives.

Seriously David...tell us what you REALLY think! :D

Randy Cohen
11-12-2008, 2:22 PM
A red eye is fruit (if you consider tomatoes fruit) in beer.

Rod Sheridan
11-12-2008, 2:43 PM
AHHH.......sorry to say Rod, but the wrecking ball made contact with the building a couple of weeks ago.....Ben's is a done deal. There are, however, still numerous great Smoked Meat joints here in town. Let me know if/when you plan on passing through and I'll introduce you to them :).

Thanks Brent, I'm normally in Montreal a couple of times a year on business.

We should get together for a smoked meat sandwich.....Rod.

Brent Smith
11-12-2008, 3:56 PM
The best corn rye on the planet is here. A few bakeries here make it fresh, one of them makes a corn rye that is supreme.

Ben....We have to get you out of LA........ Mayo on Corned Beef :mad:....Rye bread made from corn :eek:????? You need to come up here where they make real Deli food :p:).

Brent Smith
11-12-2008, 3:57 PM
Thanks Brent, I'm normally in Montreal a couple of times a year on business.

We should get together for a smoked meat sandwich.....Rod.

Just let me know when Rod........Schwartz's still makes a mean Smoked Meat!!!!

Ben Rafael
11-12-2008, 4:13 PM
Ben....We have to get you out of LA........ Mayo on Corned Beef :mad:....Rye bread made from corn :eek:????? You need to come up here where they make real Deli food :p:).

No.:eek: Not made from corn. There is ground corn on the bottom of the crust, until you've had some you don't know what you are missing. If you are ever in L.A. contact me, I guarantee you take a few loaves back to Montreal.

Rod Sheridan
11-12-2008, 4:15 PM
Just let me know when Rod........Schwartz's still makes a mean Smoked Meat!!!!

Yes, Schwartz's are great.........Rod.

Brent Smith
11-12-2008, 4:33 PM
No.:eek: Not made from corn. There is ground corn on the bottom of the crust, until you've had some you don't know what you are missing. If you are ever in L.A. contact me, I guarantee you take a few loaves back to Montreal.

Wheww :o, I was getting really worried there for a bit........ I think even Ben Kravitz (of 'Ben's Famous Delicatessen' fame) could allow that in his place. You LAer's sure do funny things to food though :p:).

Don Eddard
11-12-2008, 4:37 PM

But then again, you Canucks believe mayo goes with french fries. :rolleyes: :p

Von Bickley
11-12-2008, 4:48 PM
If you put something between two pieces of bread, it requires mayo...;)

randall rosenthal
11-12-2008, 4:59 PM
i guess it is about how you were brought up....in our house corned beef and mayo would have been like maple syrup on pizza. no way...no how...not even remotely in the realm of possibility.....unless i was trying to get my dad nuts.(which happened on occasion).

John Schreiber
11-12-2008, 5:04 PM
I know how it is. I recently got a Reuben sandwich with no sauerkraut. The waitress explained that that's how they make them because nobody likes sauerkraut anyway. I won't be back there.

For me, corned beef goes on rye bread with brown mustard or a little horseradish.

Brent Smith
11-12-2008, 5:16 PM
But then again, you Canucks believe mayo goes with french fries. :rolleyes: :p

Yeah, but we call them Belgian fries here when you put mayo on them....so I've gotta put the blame on someone in Europe for that one :cool:.

Ben Rafael
11-12-2008, 6:15 PM
If you put something between two pieces of bread, it requires mayo...;)

Peanut butter and jelly....with mayo?
Bleccccccch!

David DeCristoforo
11-12-2008, 6:16 PM
"How about fruit in beer, David?!"

Well there's "Root Beer" so why not "Fruit Beer"? I'm not a beer drinker (completely allergic to alcohol) so that doesn't bother me a bit!

"Seriously David...tell us what you REALLY think!"

Sorry, it can't be printed here! I thought it best to be subtle. ;)

Matt Ocel
11-12-2008, 6:24 PM
Mustard, Period!

Chuck Thoits
11-12-2008, 7:00 PM
First I get a corned beef brisket, and dump the contents (meat, seasonings, blood) into a foil pouch.

Then I add half a bottle of brown ale to the pouch. Let rest.

Next, light some charwood (not charcoal - never use charcoal). Use four/five good sized chunks.

While the charwood burns down, boil some red potatoes. Then season them with salt & pepper and place around the sides of the grill.

When the charwood is ready, place the pouch on a grate about 2 inches from the coal bed. Allow to cook for 1/2 hour.

Next, remove the brisket from the pouch, reserve the liquid.

Return the brisket to the grill and char the sides until well caramelized.

Rest the meat under tinfoil.

Then, make a blond roux. Create a milk gravy from the roux, reserved liquid and some half-and-half. Seasoning will be unnecessary, the liquid is very salty.

Remove the potatoes from the grill (or earlier, depending on how hot the fire was).

Slice brisket on the bias wafer thin and serve with mustard, horseradish, and the potatoes (mashed and covered with gravy.) Cabbage, honey-sauteed carrots and sauteed onions go well as sides.

Corned beef is too good for bread!
The only problem is when you carry the corn beef to work the next day. If you don't have the bread it will stick to your pocket.:)

Ben Rafael
11-12-2008, 7:02 PM
The only problem is when you carry the corn beef to work the next day. If you don't have the bread it will stick to your pocket.:)

Get a rubber pocket.

Art Mulder
11-12-2008, 9:41 PM
I know how it is. I recently got a Reuben sandwich with no sauerkraut. The waitress explained that that's how they make them because nobody likes sauerkraut anyway. I won't be back there.

Y'know this could easily turn into an "i hate this, love that" thread. :cool:
Too late. :p

I like mayo on lots of things, but not on my fries.

As for sauerkraut... well, that's just plain disgusting. IMHO. But then, I think the same about broccoli and brussel's sprouts, and I know that people put broccoli on pizza somewhere.

And all you folks out there (like me) who love ham + pineapple pizza... here's a tip. Next time have them also throw on bacon crumble. The salty bacon really gives it a boost.

Different Folks, Different Strokes.

...art

curtis rosche
11-13-2008, 2:17 PM
one thing that i hate, is when you order a steak and you get it and find out the you miss read the menu and the steak is peppered. i did that once, and it wasnt just peppered around the out side, it was completly covered in whole peper corns, and they were stuck in, couldnt really pick them out. why would you do this to a steak?

Ben Rafael
11-13-2008, 4:20 PM
it was completly covered in whole peper corns, and they were stuck in, couldnt really pick them out. why would you do this to a steak?

To cover the marks where the jockey whipped it.

David G Baker
11-13-2008, 4:24 PM
Ben,
Now that there is real funny :D

Cliff Rohrabacher
11-13-2008, 5:12 PM
Well not for nuthin Ben, but, your personal information says you are in Los Angeles.

Russ Filtz
11-14-2008, 7:54 AM

That sounds weird, but if you think about it, it's probably a sweet vs. acidic (sauce) thing, kind of like a pineapple & pepperoni pizza.

Ben Rafael
11-14-2008, 10:24 AM
Well not for nuthin Ben, but, your personal information says you are in Los Angeles.

Yes, I am. And while next to San Francisco and Berkeley we have some of the most insane food ideas here, mayo on corned beef and rye is a crime against humanity....and good taste.