PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Pictures and Contrast

Tim Bateson
11-11-2008, 3:29 PM
OK, I'm officially stumped! A customer provided a picture he wants on marble - the problem is it has 5 separate pictures within this picture & he wants it lasered as is.
Every time I get the contrast right for one picture, another one of the pictures will be too dark or too washed out.

Dave Johnson29
11-11-2008, 3:31 PM
Every time I get the contrast right for one picture, another one of the pictures will be too dark or too washed out.

Maybe use the Slice (for website pics) command in Corel and treat each one individually then hook them back together?

Ross Lowry
11-11-2008, 4:14 PM
If you have photoshop now would be a time to use it.

Tim Bateson
11-11-2008, 4:17 PM
I have tried Photoshop's Dodge & Burn, but I loose a too much sharpness and detail.

Tim Bateson
11-11-2008, 4:31 PM
Here's what I'm working with - each of the pictures appear to have already been edited.

Darren Null
11-11-2008, 4:40 PM
in Photoshop, use a circular mask; copy'n'paste each picture into a different layer; twonk around with the settings for each layer until happy; then flatten and save. Make sure you get rid of the overhanging bits in the middle picture before adjusting, or you'll get seams.

Doug Griffith
11-11-2008, 4:40 PM
In Photoshop, try selecting each area of the image (different picture) and adjusting the levels. Keep note of the black, mid, and white points and try to get each area as close as possible. Use the info window to get this information. You can use curves as well but it is more difficult to get the hang of.

edit: now that I see it's in color, convert to greyscale first.

Cheers,
Doug

Ross Lowry
11-11-2008, 4:42 PM
There is a way of doing it without loosing detail.
I would suggest getting on a photoshop forum site and posting this question.
I used to have notes on this, but I am not sure where they are at anymore.
I do remember using the curve feature as one part of the process.
If I find them I will pass them your way.

Ross Lowry
11-11-2008, 4:46 PM
This might be useful to you.
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/photoshop-curves.htm

Frank Corker
11-11-2008, 7:28 PM
Oh my God, those poor kids, someone has blindfolded them! Have they been kidnapped?

Steve Clarkson
11-12-2008, 12:20 AM
Careful Frank......rumor on the Creek is that the cops investigating the case have listed you as a "person of interest"........

Tim Bateson
11-13-2008, 10:26 PM
Project completed & one happy customer.:D
The solution:
Dumped PhotoGrav & used a gray scale image & used "Floyd Steinburg" Image Dithering from the Print Driver.
I used was to mask one of the images that was far brighter then the others. Lasered @ 35 Power/100 Speed/600 DPI. Lasered just the light image @ 25 Power. Finally lasered the entire image (to insure my masking wasn't noticable) @ 22 Power

Thanks for all of the advice. :D

BTW Frank, the police have cleared you, but asked you never leave SawmillCreek - just in-case there is any further questioning needed.:cool:

Frank Corker
11-14-2008, 4:39 AM
Dumped PhotoGrav & used a gray scale image & used "Floyd Steinburg" Image Dithering from the Print Driver. ...BTW Frank, the police have cleared you, but asked you never leave SawmillCreek - just in-case there is any further questioning needed.:cool:

Congratulations on solving your issues. In a most peculiar way too, good for you. Oddly enough that is one thing I haven't actually tried doing is to use a greyscale directly with the newer printer drivers. Tony Welch told me about using it with good success, I think I'll give that a whirl. As for leaving the Creek, I'll be sticking around for sure.