PDA

View Full Version : G0513x2 mobile base

Jason Beam
11-11-2008, 2:45 PM
Howdy all...

I recently became the proud owner of a G0513x2 Bandsaw (thank you MS cashback!) and I'm looking around at my options for mobile bases. Doing searches here mentions the ShopFox base a couple times but I wanted to get a feel for the most popular. I've also seen the HTC2000 mentioned as well as HTC's PM1000.

The PM1000 is only rated for 400lbs and that's really close to the weight of the saw itself so I dunno if I'm comfortable running the base "near capacity" like that. I've kind of ruled it out in favor of the HTC2000 (especially since it can be had for near the same $$)

It sounds like I will likely need to stick a piece of ply under the saw for it to work out on the SF base, which isn't a problem and is very good to know ahead of time! Anyone have the HTC2000 find this same requirement?

I've also seen Jet has a couple that look okay. I have a few of theirs and they seem made well enough. Anybody have any of these for this saw?

Thanks! :)

Marcus Ward
11-11-2008, 2:54 PM
The G0513X2 was sitting on one of the mobile bases in the showroom and I didn't feel that it was as stable as I'd like it. I move the saw around fine by myself, it's not that bad. I lean the spine onto my shoulder and just drag it around. If it doesn't drag well, get a couple of those slippery moving slides under that corner and that works great. Is this something you'd need to move every time you use it? Or just once in a while.

Pat Germain
11-11-2008, 2:55 PM
I have the same band saw. I looked hard at the Shop Fox. There was a floor model at my local Woodcraft. It was OK, but didn't seem heavy-duty enough for my band saw.

I went with a JET mobile base which is a lot beefier. I did have to modify it. It has four steel rails which attach to steel corner pieces. The rails were too long for the width of the my band saw. I just cut two of the rails and it worked fine. Although, I do need to insert a piece of plywood below the saw in order for the bottom door to clear the base.

Jason Beam
11-11-2008, 3:22 PM
The G0513X2 was sitting on one of the mobile bases in the showroom and I didn't feel that it was as stable as I'd like it. I move the saw around fine by myself, it's not that bad. I lean the spine onto my shoulder and just drag it around. If it doesn't drag well, get a couple of those slippery moving slides under that corner and that works great. Is this something you'd need to move every time you use it? Or just once in a while.

Marcus,

As much as I'd like to do as you do, I'm quickly filling up what space I have in the new shop and it's going to have to be moved out into a working area to be effective on larger pieces. I could just walk up to it on small pieces, but for anything more than 2 feet long I'll have to pull it out. This would be relatively frequent so mobility is pretty needed. Thanks for checking, though. :)

Greg Cole
11-11-2008, 3:25 PM
I'd stay far from the Shop Fox. I think all us 0513, X or X2 owners will say it too. It's a POS. It's flimsy, the swivel wheels hit the frame, you need to put 3/4" lift kit under the saw to open the bottom door (ya learn that AFTER you muscle the saw on the base if you're me.:mad:)... like I said just save yourself the PITA and don't buy the Shop Fox.

My next mobile bases will be shop built... until that "someday" comes around where I need not have tools on wheels.....

Anthony Whitesell
11-11-2008, 4:20 PM
I also just purchased and received the Grizzly G0513x2 courtesy of Microsoft. I opted for the Jet base for the Saw as I liked the locking straight wheels opposed to the lift/drop onto feet design (like the three wheel and HTC bases).

Unfortunately, I found that the saw on the Jet base has quite a bit of wobble to it. It's not as stable as I would like. I have three things to try going forward. First, place a piece of 3/4" plywood under the saw the exact inside size of the base to see if that shores it up. Second, will be longer rails for the front and back. The front and back rails are maxed out in length, leaving the least amount of length in the corner braces. The final thing I will try is to drill the corner braces and bolt the bandsaw through the shipping holes directly to the base.

Pat Germain
11-11-2008, 4:23 PM
The final thing I will try is to drill the corner braces and bolt the bandsaw through the shipping holes directly to the base.

That's what I plan to do, along with a piece of plywood below the saw. Funny how your rails are too short and mine were too long. We must have different models of mobile bases. Mine is definitely a JET.

Cary Falk
11-11-2008, 4:24 PM
Jason,
I took 2 pieces of 1x2" steel tube and bolted them to the bottom of my 513x2 and then bolted some 3" Woodcraft double locking casters to each end. It is vey stable adn is easily moved.
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0426.jpg

Jason Beam
11-11-2008, 4:56 PM
Cary,

Oh i like that! That looks quite serviceable. The key there is the double locking casters - I like it!

PS. Your garage door looks exactly like mine. Wayne Dalton? :P

Jason Beam
11-11-2008, 4:56 PM
That's what I plan to do, along with a piece of plywood below the saw. Funny how your rails are too short and mine were too long. We must have different models of mobile bases. Mine is definitely a JET.

Okay now I'm curious - if you have a chance, could you hunt down the model number of your jet base?

Anthony Whitesell
11-11-2008, 8:08 PM
I know you didn't ask me, but FYI mine is a Jet 708118 purchased from the local Rockler retailer. It was spec'ed at 600 pounds and a max size of 18"x28".

Jason Beam
11-11-2008, 8:42 PM
Crap! I thought quoting Pat's response to you would catch ya both - now i see it didn't. I should learn to proofread! Thanks for reading my mind, though! :)

Michael Sapper
11-11-2008, 9:22 PM
I purchased the G0513x2 less than 2 weeks ago. I also got the Shop Fox mobile base recommend by Grizzly. I don't plan to move the saw much but have a few times since the install. I found the Shop Fox base serviceable. Once I had the band saw installed, the saw rocked a little due to one of the four support bases on the mobile base being a little bent. I drilled a hole through one of the existing holes on the saw base and clear through the Shop Fox base and installed a carriage box to tightened the saw's base to the mobile base. As a result the saw is pretty darn stable with the mobile base locked down. Its not perfect nor rock solid, but certainly workable and safe for my purposes.

glenn bradley
11-11-2008, 9:45 PM
I'll chime in with the other folks who state the Shop Fox (700lb model) is just "adequate". I rarely move my saw and when I do it is just a foot or so out from the wall and then right back so I'm good. I have a piece of ply bolted to the base and the saw bolted to that. With the stops screwed down it is nice and solid, it just doesn't "mobile" well. Sounds like you need solidity and mobility.

If I had to move the saw out into the middle of the shop with ANY frequency, I would not scrimp on the base. Go extra heavy, you will forget the extra cost a lot sooner than you will stop complaining about a poor base ;-)

Pat Germain
11-11-2008, 10:20 PM
Okay now I'm curious - if you have a chance, could you hunt down the model number of your jet base?

I can't find a model number. But now that I think about it, the guys at Woodcraft had to scrounge around when I bought the mobile base. They grabbed a floor model and put it in a box they had. I'm now thinking they probably put in four side rails by accident.

Bob Landel
11-11-2008, 10:48 PM
Hi Jason,
I have the HTC2000 under my Grizzly G0555. The saw weighs less than 200 lbs. The HTC2000 is over kill for my needs. It is a beefy mobil base. Moves easily. However, when you release the handles to lower (either hand or foot), you need to do so slowly to avoid a sudden drop. I may need to lower my rubber stops.

I drilled through the bottom of the base and bolted the saw directly to the base.

I recommend the base and the people at HTC are very helpful if you need a part.

Bob Landel

Andy Casiello
11-12-2008, 7:09 AM
I'll chime in with the other folks who state the Shop Fox (700lb model) is just "adequate". I rarely move my saw and when I do it is just a foot or so out from the wall and then right back so I'm good. I have a piece of ply bolted to the base and the saw bolted to that. With the stops screwed down it is nice and solid, it just doesn't "mobile" well. Sounds like you need solidity and mobility.

If I had to move the saw out into the middle of the shop with ANY frequency, I would not scrimp on the base. Go extra heavy, you will forget the extra cost a lot sooner than you will stop complaining about a poor base ;-)

I agree with Glenn. I have the 513X2 and the 700lb Shop Fox base, and I agree it's adequate for my needs, but not great. I don't need to move my bandsaw usually, it's got it's spot in my shop. It's on wheels for the rare occasion I do move it. I cut some wood "chucks" to lodge the saw in place on the base, and it's pretty stable, but the weight on the base makes it so the base doesn't roll effortlessly - it struggles a bit as its moving.

Jason Beam
11-12-2008, 5:27 PM
Thanks for the replies, all! :)

Right now, I'm leaning toward the solution Cary has done (1x2 steel with full locking casters) or something similar. I need to hit my local scrap metal supply place and see what kinda prices we're lookin' at.

My backup is the HTC2000 unless people feel it's no better than the shopfox one. I'll certainly avoid the SF! :)

Thanks again!

Kevin Burandt
11-12-2008, 6:42 PM
Thanks for the replies, all! :)

Right now, I'm leaning toward the solution Cary has done (1x2 steel with full locking casters) or something similar. I need to hit my local scrap metal supply place and see what kinda prices we're lookin' at.

My backup is the HTC2000 unless people feel it's no better than the shopfox one. I'll certainly avoid the SF! :)

Thanks again!

IMO Cary had an excellent idea which I copied. The local borg only stocked 1"x1" so I bought a 36" piece. On the bar stock I went parallel to the fence instead of "lengthwise". It gives you a bit more stability in the direction you tend to work the stock, saves some material, and results in a shorter run between the casters. I used the (4) 3" grey locking casters with 200 lb capacity each at around $5 each, (4) 4 1/2" x 3/8" bolts washers and locknuts to secure the bar directly to the base of the bandsaw. So far it is secure enough for me (novice) and rolls well.

Kevin

glenn bradley
11-12-2008, 9:47 PM
My backup is the HTC2000 unless people feel it's no better than the shopfox one.

You would be pushing the HTC2000's 400lb load rating. At 200lbs the G0555 mentioned sounds like it does very well. Almost twice that amount is a different story. It's funny that the few really good bases I've seen have been shop made. Why is it so hard to market a good solid commercial base for a reasonable price???

Randy Looney
11-12-2008, 10:26 PM
I recently purchased the G0514X2 19" Extreme Bandsaw-3HP, Single Phas (http://www.grizzly.com/products/19-Extreme-Bandsaw-3HP-Single-Phase/G0514X2) and the G1071 Oscillating Spindle Sander (http://www.grizzly.com/products/Oscillating-Spindle-Sander/G1071), I also purchased the SF 700# mobile base for both. They are such a pain to use that we had to modify both bases to make them fit. My brother was so po'd at how they were made he is going to put larger wheels and make custom steel bases for them. Good thing he is a welder.

For the bandsaw we had to cut down the braces for front and back. For the sander we had to cut down all 4 support braces to make it fit. If I had known I would not have bought them.

Bob Landel
11-12-2008, 10:39 PM
Glenn, the HTC2000 is rated to 500 lbs.

Bob Landel

Jason Beam
11-12-2008, 10:39 PM
You would be pushing the HTC2000's 400lb load rating. At 200lbs the G0555 mentioned sounds like it does very well. Almost twice that amount is a different story. It's funny that the few really good bases I've seen have been shop made. Why is it so hard to market a good solid commercial base for a reasonable price???

You know, that's interesting. I've seen both 500 and 400lb limitations on this model. That should tell me something, huh? HTC's site claims 500lb limit where amazon, ebay and almost any other seller i've seen the HTC2000 list it as 400lbs. I think I've just convinced myself to drop that one from the running... Thanks for bringing that up! :)

I'll head to my local metal place this weekend and see what I can find. :)

Bob Landel
11-12-2008, 10:46 PM
Jason, the HTC3000 is rated at 700 lbs. The HTC site shows Home Depot is now offering the bases. I believe I saw it offered in the $70.00 to $80.00 range. I like HTC bases!

Russ Massery
11-12-2008, 10:52 PM
I went with Great lakes casters. On my G0153X. I made a 2" square tubing frame the bolted and it though the existing holes in the base. There great I move in any direction. Unlike the mobile bases I have on some of my other equipment.

Jason Beam
11-13-2008, 11:40 AM
Russ,

Great Lakes? Would you happen to have a link to the ones you used? I think I remember seeing them mentioned here before...vaguely.

Dave Avery
11-13-2008, 3:28 PM
Russ,

Great Lakes? Would you happen to have a link to the ones you used? I think I remember seeing them mentioned here before...vaguely.

I'm not Russ, but have these on my X2 (without any reinforcement) and like them very much...... Best. Dave

Here's a link to the link, so to speak.........
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?referrerid=5960&t=84254