PDA

View Full Version : Saw this at Sears Today!

Gary Lange
11-11-2008, 12:53 PM
I was at Sears today and saw this Oscillating Spindle Sander and thought it looked pretty nice and somewhat practical for a home shop.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/Trackerman/Woodworking%20Shop/SearsSpindleSander.jpg

Sand contours, arcs, curves and other irregular shapes faster and easier than traditional hand sanding. Extra large 18-in. diameter cast iron work table allows you to sand oversized workpieces. Powerful 1/4 hp direct drive induction motor drives the sanding drums in sizes from 1/2-in. to 3-in. diameter (1/2-in. spindle shaft) 4-1/2" Length. The spindle rotates at 1725 RPM with a stroke length of 1-in. (30 strokes per minute) to prevent chatter and burn marks to your wood. Built-in dust collection system has a spindle fan that draws the sawdust through spiral designed inserts and discharges into the 2 1/2- exhaust port. Features cord wrap for convenience

Todd Hyman
11-11-2008, 1:03 PM
I have seen it too. Looks pretty good. I have the Rigid OSS from HD and it has worked great for me.

Dave Sweeney
11-11-2008, 1:21 PM
Looks very nice. After the volumes of positive reviews that the Ridgid one gets I'm not sure I'd spend an extra $50 over the cost of the Ridgid for this one though.

Jim Becker
11-11-2008, 3:10 PM
Interesting. With that round cast table and the style of the inserts, I have to wonder if they are having B&D (Delta) make that unit...those components are nearly identical to the BOSS OSS in my shop.

Don Abele
11-11-2008, 3:20 PM
Jim, I was thinking the same thing - it looks just like the Delta BOSS.

Personally, I have the Rigid OSS which also has the ability to be used as an edge belt sander as well. I love it and it has handled everything I've "thrown" at it. One of the other things I like about it is the large table.

Be well,

Doc

Bill White
11-11-2008, 6:25 PM
Got the belt sanding option that I like.
Bill

Scott Haddix
11-11-2008, 7:07 PM
I have the Rigid as well, and I'll echo the earlier comments. I use the belt sander option as much as I do the spindle, it's easy to switch, it has a large table, etc.

I'd give it serious consideration.