PDA

View Full Version : Scratching Off Anti-Scratch Coating?

Russ Filtz
11-11-2008, 11:25 AM
My eyeglasses have gotten horrible. the coating is all patchy, scratched, etc. In an effort to save buying new, I've been trying to get the coating off completely to no avail. I think it must have been attacked by some noxious agent in the hazardous waste center that is my garage. One suspect was some cold parkerizing solution (phosphoric acid) I had sprayed recently. tried the solution directly on the lenses and polished to no avail. Hmm. Tried alcohol, MEK, various glass polishes (I have plastic lenses!) and nothing works. Can an eyeglass place polish this off, or is there some magic solvent?

Mitchell Andrus
11-11-2008, 2:17 PM
Take them back to be re-coated. Mine have been done twice for free. You'll need a spare - it'll take a few days to a week to make the trip and back.

The coating does wear out as you said.

Russ Filtz
11-11-2008, 2:55 PM
Not sure they're worth re-coating. There's a couple good scratches in there as well! Just trying to extend their life before getting new ones.

David G Baker
11-11-2008, 4:06 PM
There is also a product that will hide the scratch, sorta like the stuff they put on windshields that hide stars caused by stones hitting the windshield.

Matthew Poeller
11-11-2008, 5:18 PM
I am not sure what will take it off. The last time that I was at the optometrist though I was asking him about it. Out came that it was actually DLC (diamond like coating). We were doing some development testing on DLC at the last place that I worked at.

The reason I give you this information is that you might contact one of the manufacturers of DLC to ask them how to get it off.

I did a web search and found this place http://www.diamonex.com/products_dlc.htm

Nothing on there about removing it but you might be able to contact them.