PDA

View Full Version : Arghhh...Missed 20" grizzly planer by 20 minutes

Alex Shanku
11-11-2008, 10:52 AM
Lost another craigslist battle. Man, you sure have to be quick to get those deals.

20" grizzly planer ---- $300

Rod Sheridan
11-11-2008, 12:41 PM
Well Alex, it's just another opportunity to get a better deal or a different machine........Regards Rod.

P.S.

Notice how easy it is to be philosophical when you're not the one that missed the deal?

Dave Sweeney
11-11-2008, 1:24 PM
If you had not had that 2nd cup of coffee this AM.........................

Chip Lindley
11-11-2008, 1:40 PM
Think Positive Alex!! The lucky guy that spent his $300 may have a machine that never runs right, IF it runs at all! That was just not your planer!

Jeff Duncan
11-11-2008, 2:18 PM
Hah, that's nothing, I missed a 22" Delta Industrial planer that went for $250 on Sunday.

Just gotta keep at it.
good luck,
JeffD

Pat Germain
11-11-2008, 2:47 PM
I feel your pain. There was a Performax drum sander posted on Craigslist this morning at 10:46 AM. Seller was asking $200. I called at just after 11 AM and got voice mail. I left him a message.

I called back at 12:40 and he had just sold it.

I can't compete. There are just too many retired guys with nothing better to do than collect tools. Maybe someday I'll be one of those guys. :rolleyes:

John Keeton
11-11-2008, 3:09 PM
There are just too many retired guys with nothing better to do than collect tools. Maybe someday I'll be one of those guys. :rolleyes:
Pat, it is just a recycling program. The old guys die, the executor has an estate auction, and a new bunch of owners come along - and the circle of life begins again!

Pat Germain
11-11-2008, 4:26 PM
Pat, it is just a recycling program. The old guys die, the executor has an estate auction, and a new bunch of owners come along - and the circle of life begins again!

Yeah, but I can never find those real estate auctions either. Every "estate sale" I've seen is trying to get gold prices for a bunch of rusty screwdrivers and glass telephone pole insulators.

Dave Mura
11-11-2008, 6:03 PM
It happens :)

Jason Stein
11-11-2008, 6:05 PM
Keep looking. I got one last year for $250, and have seen a couple more since then. Believe me, it's very satisfying getting what you want at the price you want it.

Bill White
11-11-2008, 6:20 PM
I feel your pain. There was a Performax drum sander posted on Craigslist this morning at 10:46 AM. Seller was asking $200. I called at just after 11 AM and got voice mail. I left him a message.

I called back at 12:40 and he had just sold it.

I can't compete. There are just too many retired guys with nothing better to do than collect tools. Maybe someday I'll be one of those guys. :rolleyes:

I resemble that remark. (Snicker)
Bill

Chuck Thoits
11-11-2008, 7:13 PM
The there is always the other problem. Yesterday a guy put up a powermatic saw and a 14" ban saw (ban saw was not a PM) 200 for the BS and 400 for the PM and me sitting here with no extra money to buy them.:mad:

Rick Fisher
11-11-2008, 7:19 PM
Let me offer a tip.

Call the fella,tell him who you are, where you work, give him your home number, offer him more than his asking price and tell him when you will be there.

It works. :)

A grizzly planer for $300.00 isnt that much better a deal than a 20" planer for $400.00

Chuck Thoits
11-11-2008, 8:34 PM
Forgot the other one that bites. When you find a good deal then realize it's half way cross the country.:eek:

Walt Caza
11-12-2008, 10:30 AM
Sorry you lost your deal Alex,
but I enjoyed Rod's taking it philosophical...

There is no way of knowing whether you lost a bargain or a lemon.
I tend to think there are no 'real' deals.
Most of it is just marketing hype, and our perception.
The way we perceive value is manipulated with dodgey information and often misrepresentation.
If it was worth much more, they probably would have asked more, or even got more.

Or, how about...
the universe is functioning perfectly, and you are functioning perfectly within it?

Or, when one door closes, another opens.

I believe there is always another 'deal' right around the corner.
I hope you catch that one!
see you in the sawdust,
Walt