PDA

View Full Version : Rabbet Plane Gloat

Joel Goodman
11-11-2008, 9:42 AM
I have just received from Johnny Kleso an almost unused Wards Master #78 rabbet plane. Here are a few pix of it with a few shavings and a test rabbet in some scrap (If I've go the attachment thing working.)

Here are some pix Johnny took http://home.comcast.net/~wizkidz/78/

Thanks Johnny!

Joel Goodman
11-11-2008, 9:51 AM
I forgot to add a question -- has anyone made a "hotdog" for these? I was thinking that a homebrew hotdog might be good as there is no knob in front. An thoughts from any 78 users out there?

Bill Houghton
11-11-2008, 5:19 PM
Yours looks like it was made by Stanley, which is good - the adjustment lever is helpful.

Can't help on the hot dog, although Woden, a British company, made a knob for these that fit onto the front bed for the iron. I wound up with two cutting irons and two caps, and keep one on each bed, and find that gives a good grip.

Joel Goodman
11-11-2008, 8:21 PM
I think it's a Sargent -- there is no adjustment lever. I am interested in the idea of a front knob that attaches to the bed in front. Do you know if a picture exists? I guess I could have a piece of wood that sits in the bed (held in by the screw) and then curves up and ends in a knob -- am I imagining this correctly?

Bill Houghton
11-11-2008, 10:23 PM
I don't know a lot about the various makers.

As for a tote, go to Wood Central (woodcentral.com), go to the Hand Tools messageboard, and search the archives for "Woden." You'll find several threads with pictures.

Joel Goodman
11-12-2008, 12:52 AM
No luck on Woodcentral but I found a copy of the Woden instructions on an Australian site. I'm thinking I could get a longer screw for the front bed and attach a knob with it -- perhaps on an angled base. Thanks for steering me to the knob idea. I can't attach the instructions as the file is too big but if anyone is interested PM me. I can just make out the knob in the diagram -- not a lot of detail.