PDA

View Full Version : I am a believer in Air Cleaners!

Adam Cavaliere
11-11-2008, 9:21 AM
I just got into woodworking last year and went through a winter in a non heated and unventilated shop (garage). I have since solved the heating problem and just fixed the air quality problem this weekend.

I picked up Steel City's air cleaner and started using it this weekend. The air is SO MUCH CLEANER! I know it isn't a good replacement for true dust collection, which I have also implemented to a good degree. This really gets all of those hanging particles out of the air. Along with that an added benefit is it circulates the air better which moves the heat around better too! As a person with Asthma, it feels pretty good to breath in and not feel my chest tighten up after a nice session out there.

Alan Tolchinsky
11-11-2008, 9:52 AM
Hi Adam, If you have asthma I would strongly recommend you wear the best respirstor you can find all the time in the shop. You can't afford to get any fine dust particles in your lungs as this will certainly make your asthma worse. I wear a respirator or mask of some kind any time I'm making dust in the shop. Good move on the air cleaner but you need more.

Adam Cavaliere
11-11-2008, 10:03 AM
Depending on the job, I do wear a mask, but after the work is done, I want to be able to take the mask off. Having the air cleaner really helps in that regard.

Rob Diz
11-11-2008, 1:17 PM
Hi Adam, If you have asthma I would strongly recommend you wear the best respirstor you can find all the time in the shop. You can't afford to get any fine dust particles in your lungs as this will certainly make your asthma worse. I wear a respirator or mask of some kind any time I'm making dust in the shop. Good move on the air cleaner but you need more.

And while you are shopping for your really nice respirator, be sure to wear some N95 dust masks with a vent. I have DC, an air cleaner and I wear an N95 mask.

And while you are thinking safety, be sure to wear glasses. The evil Walmart has prescription safety glasses for under $30. Ugly as sin, but big and safe.