PDA

View Full Version : a few more Ipe project pics

Bob Hyde
05-29-2004, 1:54 PM
Greetings, all.
Here's a few more pics of another Ipe project done a few years back... the Old Bat announced that she was going stateside to buy herself a new desk... unless, of course, I would build her one. Having, all too often, witnessed the havoc that she and a credit card could bring about, I mumbled a few endearing thoughts and ran for the shop.
I had just scored a pretty good load of Ipe and hadn't had a chance to work with it. In fact, and to be honest, I really didn't even know what it was at the time...
I've since run quite a bit of it through saws and routers over the past few years and even fooled with a few finishes. While being far from an expert I'd be happy to share any of those experiences should anyone have questions about this stuff.

Bob Hyde
05-29-2004, 2:07 PM
Sorry, I guess I blew the attachments. Trying again.

Jim Becker
05-29-2004, 2:44 PM
The style of your work is wonderful, Bob. It really works with the Ipe, too. I like the organic shapes with these tropical woods...the color and grain really work well.

John Miliunas
05-29-2004, 3:03 PM
Totally agree with Jim, on this one! Very unique styling! Flows beautifully and does the wood justice! :) Appears to me that you've also got your joinery mastered quite well. Great attention to detail and the finish really looks silky smooth. Yeah, if you've got tips for working Ipe, I'd love to hear them! I certainly wouldn't mind trying my hand at some in the future myself! Great job, Bob! Oh, and BTW, no way could the LOYL have found a desk that neat Stateside! :cool:

Bob Marino
05-29-2004, 3:07 PM
Bob,

Agree with Jim and John. Outsatnding job all around. Never would have thought of making furniture with it, but I see it's perfect in those applications.

Bob

Bob

Mark Singer
05-29-2004, 3:08 PM
Bob,
Really great design....the lines flow beautifully through the piece...really nice work! Jim and John are right again... Ipe is a tough wood to work with...what finish are you using?

Chris Padilla
05-29-2004, 5:04 PM
Oh man...I gotta get me some Ipe!! Outstanding work, Bob, outstanding design...I think you are gong to be labeled, 'Mr. Ipe!' :D

Mark Valsi
05-29-2004, 5:11 PM
I can sum up my opinion in one word.

HOLY COW IS THAT NICE !!!

Mark Valsi
05-29-2004, 5:13 PM
I can sum that up in one word !

HOLY COW, BEAUTIFUL

so it's three . . .

Tyler Howell
05-29-2004, 7:23 PM
Hubba Hubba!;)

Jason Tuinstra
05-29-2004, 10:27 PM
Bob, great job. The design is fantastic. What do you say guys, field trip come January to learn the finer points of using Ipe? :D

Bob Hyde
05-29-2004, 11:37 PM
Thanks, Jason... In fact, thanks to everyone for the kind comments!
Chris, go get a few hunks, it really is a gas to work with... I've seen some of your pics and I'd be anxious to see what you come up with.
John, I don't know what kind of 'tips' I can offer other than sharp cutting tools and a surgeon on hand to remove some of the nastiest splinters I've ever dealt with! Kidding aside, it really is fun to work with. It tools cleanly (tear-out can be dealt with easily), sands well and is pretty user friendly with just about all the finishes I've tried. I've also éxperimented' with most of the common glues without any adverse findings (both interior and exterior). I don't do any turning so I can't offer any input there but I gave a couple of pcs to a local carver and he produced a couple of life size terns that I expected to take to wing any minute.
John, the pcs in this post were finished with multiple rubbed coats of various mixes of satin urethane/tung oil/naptha. The hope chest in the previous post was an orange shellac/wax finish and was the most pleasing of all to my eyes. I'm somewhat limited as far as suppliers here on the island... the local hardware/lumber supply doesn't go much beyond PT lumber and white paint.
I've recently taken to mixing some cypress in with a few Ipe projects... I really like the combination. Will try to snap a couple of pics... would enjoy hearing your opinions
Again, thanks to ALL for taking a look and being so kind with your comments. I'm really enjoying this community!!!

Ken Fitzgerald
05-30-2004, 12:44 AM
Bob, absolutely beautiful! I love the flowing lines of your design and the finish is fantastic!

Mike Scoggins
05-30-2004, 8:10 AM
Wow, Bob! I really like the desk. Your design is very unique. That's one of the funnest and most rewarding parts of this woodworking thing -- creating unique pieces like no one else has (or certainly that you can buy).

It's very obvious that this is not the first board foot of wood you sawn through in your "woodworking career." Very nice work. Thanks for posting the pictures and keep 'em coming. They're an inspiration!

Mike

Kelly C. Hanna
05-30-2004, 8:36 AM
Aboslutely gorgeous! Reminds me of Frank Lloyd Wright's style of furniture. You did a very nice job in the deisgn stage and carried it out beautifully. Now let's see...how much damage would she have done with that credit card...hmmm...that oughta be worth a new tool or two...:D:D:D:D

Earl Kelly
05-30-2004, 9:17 AM
Nice Desk and chair. You've acheived a light feeling to the pieces although they're obviously heavy. I like the openess and airy look. Good work, Bob.

John Shuk
05-30-2004, 8:30 PM
IMHO That desk is awesome!

Jim Ketron
05-30-2004, 9:54 PM
WOW!!
Great job Bob!!
boy that looks comfortable!!
I like the rounded off look.
Smooth and flowing lines.

Jim

John Shuk
05-31-2004, 7:55 AM
Is this the same guy who said something about "modest" skill or something like that. You must be a fast learner. Maybe I'll have to make a trip down sometime for the diving and to see the museum quality furniture. My front porch is Ipe but it don't look like that.

Rich Konopka
05-31-2004, 9:18 AM
Greetings, all.
Here's a few more pics of another Ipe project done a few years back... the Old Bat announced that she was going stateside to buy herself a new desk... unless, of course, I would build her one. Having, all too often, witnessed the havoc that she and a credit card could bring about, I mumbled a few endearing thoughts and ran for the shop.
I had just scored a pretty good load of Ipe and hadn't had a chance to work with it. In fact, and to be honest, I really didn't even know what it was at the time...
I've since run quite a bit of it through saws and routers over the past few years and even fooled with a few finishes. While being far from an expert I'd be happy to share any of those experiences should anyone have questions about this stuff.
Bob:

The design on the chair is outstanding and it ties in with the desk very nicely. One question if I may? Does the Mrs. Bob Hyde really expect to fine something as nice or better than your desk and chair stateside? Or has she changed her mind?

Ken Fitzgerald
05-31-2004, 10:03 AM
Rich, all I've seen are the pictures of this project but IMHO she'd be wasting the price of several airline tickets only to find out she couldn't find anything that nice. The more I come back to this thread and look at the pictures, the more I like it. And......I liked it a lot th first time I viewed. Great design and craftsmanship, Bob!

Bob Hyde
05-31-2004, 12:37 PM
Trust me guys, the old bat's only plan was to create the frightening image of her and the credit card wandering wild in the states... she knew the right button to push to get me busy on her stuff!
On a serious note, thanks for taking the time to look... and 'double-thanks' for the overly kind comments!
bob

Peter Stahl
05-31-2004, 1:16 PM
Very nice, really like the chair too!!!

Dave Malen
05-31-2004, 10:04 PM
Looks like an asian piece. Very nicely done. How did you finish it?
You are the ipe man. BTW how expensive is it.
Dave :)

Bob Hyde
05-31-2004, 11:22 PM
Thanks, Dave.
Both were finished with multiple rubbed coats of an oil/urethane/naptha mix. As far as cost... it's not sold here on the island and I really don't know the going rate stateside. I was fortunate enough to get 60+ pcs of 12' 4x4's from a good friend who had bought a container load to build a pretty extensive dock and deck. The only cost was the sore back I had after moving it down to my shop. Sorry I can't help with the numbers.
Thanks again.
bob