PDA

View Full Version : wood sources Chatanooga, TN, resaw tips

tom coleman
11-11-2008, 3:48 AM
I'l be traveling to Chatanooga for Thanksgiving. Looking for suggestions for sourcing cherry, walnit, maple and oak in small quantities for small boxes.

I am new to resawing, still to be assembled Craftsman 14 inch bandsaw manufactured by Rikon probably to be equpped w 1/2 inch Timberwolf blade. Should I buy 8x or 4x lumber rough or dimensioned. I have a planer but no jointer

Thanks

Rick Fisher
11-11-2008, 6:22 AM
I always get the thickest board possible. With thick boards, you can resaw and get matched boards.

I usually use VG Fir, it may not matter as much with other species.

Ed Sallee
11-11-2008, 9:29 AM
Tom, if you're coming through Atlanta, stop by... I'll take you to a local sawmill where the guy has more walnut & cherry than I've ever seen in one place.

Steve Mellott
11-11-2008, 9:49 AM
Ed:

Which sawmill are you referencing? Thanks.

Steve

Jerome Hanby
11-11-2008, 10:15 AM
Me too. I'm in Trussville (Birmingham). I hit Atlanta Craigslist sales all the time and I would love to have a fresh source for hardwood!

Ed:

Which sawmill are you referencing? Thanks.

Steve

Ed Sallee
11-11-2008, 11:58 AM
Here's a link to his place.. (http://www.caglumber.com/).. don't let the fancy web site fool ya. It's just a guy with a lot of wood.... I went and visited him last saturday for the first time. I pulled up and it seemed that nobody was around, until I heard the wood mizer at the top of the hill cuttin' away. He has a lot of domestics... Well worth the trip....

Matt Campbell
11-11-2008, 12:40 PM
Tom,

I'm in Chattanooga, and I have some walnut and Brazilian cherry I'd like to sell. We can surface anything you'd like in my shop. If you're interested, just pm me.