PDA

View Full Version : Delta DC380 not shifting low to high

Tom Rutigliano
11-10-2008, 11:00 PM
I’m looking at a used Delta DC380 but it does not shift from low to high or from high to low. When I first went to look at it we could not make it shift, he took the gearbox apart while I was there and the shifting gear was striped, he ordered a new part and when it came in I went over while he put it in, when he was done we tried to shift it but it does not move under power, feels like the gears are in a bind.
Anyone have this planer have this problem? Does yours shift OK? I may just walk away from this one.
Thanks
Tom in Alaska

Peter Quinn
11-11-2008, 9:03 PM
I have an OLD dc-380 and it shifts flawlessly. I have changed the gear oil a few times but done nothing else. I bought it used (well used) and have owned it a few years now. Very tough little planer if you can achieve a good price and the seller can get it going. As I recall the gear box is a pretty simple affair though I have not had to work on mine.

Jimmy Tallent
11-15-2008, 5:36 PM
I have replaced the same gear twice in about 5 years,very bade machining and low grade metal .Other than that it is a good planer for china junk.Thinking about having one made at a machine shop out of better metal.

Dick Bringhurst
11-15-2008, 7:25 PM
Problem with makin one out of good metal is that it will wear out those that it comes in contact with. Then you have to replace those. Dick B.

Frederick Rowe
11-15-2008, 11:21 PM
I bought a DC-380 used a couple of years ago. Runs like a horse. I've never had a problem shifting speeds. Recently I took apart the gear box to replace oil and inspect the gears. It is simple gearbox, and I had no problems getting it back together in an hour.

If the original gear was stripped that badly, something else might have been damaged. The power is taken off the cutter head, and is geared quite low. This creates a lot of torque. How does it run a the speed it is stuck in?

There are a lot of these planers around. I'd be concerned there is another problem and walk away. Unless it is a real bargain . . .

Peter Quinn
11-16-2008, 12:41 PM
Hey, Frederick makes a very good point. If the transmission is broken, what else is broken or very close. I got mine for $300 with three sets of knives, and I see similar planers for sale now and then.

Robert Meyer
11-16-2008, 2:22 PM
Mine has been pretty much stuck in high gear since purchase three years ago. My main problem is the feed rollers that no amount of cleaning, adjusting and shaming seem to make work correctly. I have probably pushed and pulled about 1k board feet of hardwood through this miserable piece of trash and just can't wait until I can buy a real planer.