PDA

View Full Version : New Best Friends

Greg Cole
11-10-2008, 10:40 PM
So, I finished my bench (well... tool storage underneath to do "someday" soon...:rolleyes:). Also added a LV LA Jack with all 3 pitch irons to the fold.
The bench came home yesterday and my first task for the bench and new Jack was to flatten an end grain cutting board (well I did flatten the bench with the LA Jack as the premade top has grain going every which way... tear out with the 6 n 7 was going to be bad :mad:).
Anyway, here's the proof of both LA jack n bench. The pics of the end grain close up may not look as good here as in real life, it's like glass....thanks to the 50* iron. :D;):D
I'm going to wager this is going to me my go to plane for a while.

Greg

mark page
11-10-2008, 11:06 PM
Looks good Greg,
How'd you get that beast of a bench in your shop????

Jim Becker
11-11-2008, 7:39 AM
Greg, even with the picture, one can see that the end grain was cut really cleanly and left with a wonderful surface. Nice!

Danny Thompson
11-11-2008, 8:19 AM
That is a great pattern for the board--not too overdone, nice balance, great contrast. What woods?

Got any more pics of the bench?

Greg Cole
11-11-2008, 8:52 AM
Danny,
It's hard maple, walnut and cherry. Basically all resurrected from the scrap bin.;)
The close up of the frog area shows (not so clearly) all 3 species in one shaving..... If anyone's been on the fence about what plane to buy for an all around versatile one, I'd say stop thinking and get an LA Jack.
More bench info here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=95077).

Mark,
Lets just say me "strong like bull, dumb like tractor":rolleyes:. Even moving just the top and base seperately, it wasn't easy with just lil ol' me doing the heavy lifting.

Al Navas
11-11-2008, 8:59 AM
Greg,

GREAT results! Congratulations!!!

I also wonder how you got the best in the shop. I seem to remember you saying you were running out of room... :cool:

Greg Cole
11-11-2008, 2:17 PM
Hi Al,
Lets just say I am glad I'm still a 32" waist... or I'd get stuck between items in the shop for now.:rolleyes::o:eek:
I am going to have more room sooner than later as the old HUGE ply topped bench is going to see a transformation into storage cabinets. In the long run I will have more useable floor space and MUCH NEEDED storage.

Cheers.
Greg

Randy Klein
11-11-2008, 4:21 PM
The pics of the end grain close up may not look as good here as in real life, it's like glass....thanks to the 50* iron.

Are you saying you cut the end grain with a 50 degree iron, making for a 62 degree cutting angle? That must have been a bear. Did you try the 25 degree iron first?

Greg Cole
11-11-2008, 4:48 PM
Hi Randy,
I tried all 3 irons if nothing else than for the helluvit. The 50 seemed to leave the nicest surface so I ran with it... yes it was a bit of work but notice my "strong like bull, dumb like tractor" comment about myself.:rolleyes:;):eek:
Honestly and seriously, it wasn't that much work. About 20 minutes per side and it's dead flat and silky smooth. It's a Christmas gift for my Mother and I know she'll appreciate the hand finished product from her #1 son (than again her only son).