PDA

View Full Version : wixey wr 510

jim sauterer
11-10-2008, 9:46 PM
any one have a wixey wr 510 on an x5 delta planer.thoughts positive or not appreciated.thank you.

glenn bradley
11-11-2008, 2:40 AM
Mine is on a DeWalt DW734 but I can speak to the 'thoughts positive or not' part: I just re-checked the calibration today as I had done quite a bit of odds and ends requiring a lot of height changes. It was fine just like the last 10 times I've checked. Very reliable and very repeatable if properly installed.

The stick-on foam tape allows too much movement for repeatability so I screwed mine on. I got mine back when the old version was around. Liked it so much that I paid the token charge for the upgraded head unit that anyone buying today would get. If I got another planer I would add one to it without hesitation.

Curt Harms
11-11-2008, 9:02 AM
I have one on a Jet J/P and it has worked well. I kinda made my mounting system up as I went along but it has been fine. Barry Wixey is very responsive to questions. Very useful if you plane a bunch of stock, reset the planer for other projects and have to plane that one more piece that you should have done when you were first set up:o. Mine seems to be repeatable to about .01" Having both decimal inches and fractions as well as metric available has proven handy. If I find a bargain on another WR 510 I may put one on a drum sander.

Gary Click
11-11-2008, 4:13 PM
Mine is on a DW735, results are very positive. I agree however that the use of the foam tape leaves something to be desired. Used screws and repeatability is dead-on.

BTW - I also upgraded from the original head, the angled head is worth the money.

gary

Mike Heidrick
11-11-2008, 5:17 PM
This was number one on my Christmas list. Plan to add it to the 20" Delta DC580.

Found another used model for sale for $15 that is going on the G1066Z DD sander.