PDA

View Full Version : cedar

David Wilson
05-29-2004, 12:39 PM
Does anyone out there know of a good source for cedar lumber at a reasonable price? Seems like the prices have really gone up.

Jerry Olexa
05-29-2004, 4:50 PM
Look for neighbors discarding "old" cedar decks and replacing w newer forms of Wolm lumber or artificial wood. I built 2 cedar outdoor benches in my early days (after a lot of resawing, planing, gluing etc) w cedar being thrown away. Chances are slim of this happening when you need the wood!! Its a fairly expensive wood, naturally decay resistant bit not particularly strong. Good luck!

David Rose
05-29-2004, 6:57 PM
David, you didn't state how much or what type you needed. I just built an arbor with cedar. It did not require a large number of board feet. To get what I wanted, straight Western Cedar, I ended up resawing some 4x4s from the borg. I didn't figure out what I had per board foot, but it was quite a bit less than the cupped and bowed stuff that they had that was thinner. And it resawed very fast. For the caps on the corners I ended up paying more for some wider Aromatic from my local mill. I think I gave the mill $2.50 a foot for s2s.

David

Does anyone out there know of a good source for cedar lumber at a reasonable price? Seems like the prices have really gone up.

Dennis Peacock
05-29-2004, 10:34 PM
I used to buy aeromatic cedar (just a few years back) at $0.39 per board foot green and rough cut. Dries nicely when stacked and stickered and makes some really nice stuff. Around here, it now goes for around $2 a bd ft.