PDA

View Full Version : Table saw questions...

Craig Johnson
11-10-2008, 7:42 PM
Hi everyone.
I have some questions regarding a table saw purchase. I ordered the Steel City 35670 cabinet saw. Man am I stoked!
I plan on going to the freight company to pick it up. Should I plan on borrowing a hand truck or renting a tranny jack in order to unload it when I get to my house? I would like some of your expert opinions on how to unload it.
Secondly, what brand/type of mobile base do you guys use? I see quite a few brands but only want to buy one and want one that is very sturdy. Looking for your real world reccomendations.
Lastly, what type of measuring tools are needed for alignment of blade/fence etc? Do I need dial indicators or micrometers?
This will be my first table saw so a lot of this is new to me.
Please help a guy out!!!

Thanks.

Scott Schwake
11-10-2008, 7:48 PM
Here's a thread on table saw alignment that I've been following: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=96186
There are numerous other, just do a search.

Craig Johnson
11-10-2008, 8:08 PM
I just saw that one and am printing the article...

Jim Becker
11-10-2008, 8:11 PM
Craig, be sure you have your mobile base "in hand" before you un-crate your new saw. You'll want to walk it off the pallet and directly onto the mobile base, rather than have to lift it later. I happen to like the HTC welded bases, but there are a lot of good choices available to you. And yes, you'll need a way of getting the machine out of your pickup or off your trailer. I used a manual hydraulic lift table to get the cabinet saw I used to own off the back of a pickup truck.

Craig Johnson
11-10-2008, 9:39 PM
Thanks Jim.
I ordered the saw today and am ordering the base today as well. I will see about renting a tranny jack or something like that for removal.

Myk Rian
11-10-2008, 9:48 PM
When I picked up my SC saw, I used my utility trailer. We just tipped the packing crate on its back and slid it in. Just the opposite to get it out.
It will help to have the base ready when you take it out of the crate, otherwise you'll need a chain fall or hoist to do it later. It weighs close to 400 lbs.

Here's a write-up I did on it.
http://www.routerforums.com/tool-reviews/7758-steel-city-65720-review.html

Craig Johnson
11-11-2008, 12:10 AM
Thats the issue. I dont have a trailer.
I can have it loaded in my Tacoma at the freight company but will have to find some way to get it out.
When I worked at the local Honda dealership we had a tranny jack that we used to get reman trans out of the back of trucks. Will have to check into that. Maybe I can rent one.

Chip Lindley
11-11-2008, 12:29 AM
Craig? Don't you have at least 2 big strong friends to help pull the saw off your pickup and set it gently upon dry land? Might be worth a 12-pack or a big sack of White Castles! Cheaper than renting a jack and having to pick it up and return it!!

glenn bradley
11-11-2008, 2:27 AM
Chip's got a good idea there. I was surprised how two co-workers and I quickly got a 400lb saw off the pallet and on it's feet (no mobile base for me). 400lbs for one is daunting, for two a struggle, for three a cake-walk.

Mike McCann
11-11-2008, 8:18 AM
I picked up my sc saw from woodcraft awhile ago. I took it home in my buick rendevous. I had help from one of the guys at the store to load it. However when I got it home I slid it our of the car myself onto a dolly and rolled it into my shop.

Kent E. Matthew
11-11-2008, 11:45 AM
I just recently unloaded a Delta DJ-15 alone. I parked under my carport. Hooked a block and tackle to an 8 inch Z beam. Lifted the jointer up. Pulled the truck out and lowered onto a moving dolly. Rolled it into my shop.

Craig Johnson
11-11-2008, 2:14 PM
Well I got my pro # for the trucking company and called them.
I was going to go pick it up at the freight terminal. If I did that I would have to take my canopy off, go get the saw, then put it back on once finished.
I thought about it and decided to have it delivered to my house.
They have a no charge lift gate service for residential delivieries.
I will just rent an appliance dolly to get it in my garage and Ill be all set.
Much happier about that.

Myk Rian
11-11-2008, 3:16 PM
You are going to like your new saw.

Craig Johnson
11-11-2008, 10:54 PM
Thanks Axl Myk.
I am really excited. I have heard great things about SC.
Just need to move some stuff around in the garage so itll fit!!

Myk Rian
11-12-2008, 7:32 AM
Just need to move some stuff around in the garage so itll fit!!
I went from an old Craftsman contractor to the SC like yours. Had to completely rearrange my garage shop to accommodate it. Ended up with it sitting by the door and a few feet inside.

Myk Rian
11-12-2008, 11:16 AM
Craig;
Here are a couple pics of how I did it. Nothing fancy, but it works.

Neal Clayton
11-12-2008, 4:23 PM
me and two other guys were able to walk my PM66 off of a low trailer with ramps, but it wasn't easy. if you're coming from a truck bed, forget it. have a hoist ready.

Craig Johnson
11-12-2008, 4:48 PM
Looks good Myk.
I will have to see about an extension table after I get her assembled.
I saw a video online at a woodworking forum where the guy built one that sits over the top of the saw when stored but has castors and he lowers it down to the same heigth of the saw when in place. I will post the link in a minute.
It looked like a great idea.

Myk Rian
11-12-2008, 7:50 PM
I saw the plans for that table/bench. In my shop it would be relegated to being a separate bench all the time, as I use the TS too much to put it under the thing.
Besides, it would be an awful tall bench if the saw and fence were under it.

Craig Johnson
11-12-2008, 8:29 PM
Well heres the video for it anyway.
Think this is pretty cool but I dont know if I even have the room.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid979295690/bclid1338937262/bctid1078950624

Scott Myers
11-12-2008, 8:37 PM
The SC cabinet saw isn't that heavy without the extension tables installed. 2 strong guys can lift it down. With 4 guys it will be a breeze. Now if it were a Powermatic or a Sawstop, I wouldn't be saying that.

My wife and I picked up a SC and set it on a mobile base. Keep in mind I am 5'7" and 160 lb and not exactly a beast of a man.

Robert Chapman
11-13-2008, 8:27 PM
I have a 35670 SC saw and I really like it. I had it put in the back of my F150 but before we loaded it we uncrated it and removed the cast iron wings and other heavy components. It came on a specially built tubular steel frame/pallet. After removing all the heavy components my son and I just tipped it slowly off the tailgate of my truck and slid it to the floor. I'm 68 and my son is 45. It was not a problem to then take the saw off the pallet/frame and lift it onto a mobil base [ I used the SC base with two 3/4 inch plywood for a base floor. Works fine.

Craig Johnson
11-13-2008, 8:31 PM
thanks guys.
good to know it can be done that way..

Myk Rian
11-13-2008, 9:33 PM
I used the SC base with two 3/4 inch plywood for a base floor. Works fine.
I used 3/4" triangles cut so the corners of the saw rested on them. Otherwise, I found the saw rocked in the mobile base if the feet were on the wood. I would have taken the feet off if I could have figured out how.