PDA

View Full Version : Mission Doorbell Cover

Todd Ferrante
11-10-2008, 7:17 PM
We wanted our entry hall to look a bit nicer, so I covered our plastic doorbell with an oak mission style doorbell cover. I designed it based on a couple different designs I encountered on the web during a google search. I started with the thicknessed boards at about 11am Saturday. All the pieces were cut out and sanded by suppertime. Sunday morning I screwed and glued it up. Sunday afternoon I put on four coats of spray laquer.

Todd F.

Jim Becker
11-10-2008, 7:59 PM
Todd, that's a great idea...I'm going to have to do something similar, although in "Shaker Style" to match the furniture I tend to build. I have a basic, battery powered, wireless doorbell system and have been trying to figure out the best way to "hide" it in plain sight. Rather than painting it the wall color, your idea might be just the ticket!

Dewey Torres
11-11-2008, 1:50 AM
Very nice. I like this style!

glenn bradley
11-11-2008, 2:01 AM
Very nicely done. Great looking piece. I have one in the works for mom for Christmas. Her adjacent office-set is all mission style and I wanted to blend in the standard plastic box. Only problem is LOML saw it and wants a blonde maple one too. Thankfully, there are only so many folks with doorbells . . .

Walt Caza
11-11-2008, 1:26 PM
Hi Todd,
Sweet looking cover, and a nice job too!
Now that I have seen yours, I gotta add one to my list.
Since I saw your pics, I dislike my plastic cover even more.
Nice square holes too.

Thanks for giving us a peek,
Walt

ps what are you building next?

Von Bickley
11-11-2008, 1:43 PM
Todd,

Looks great....... Would also look great in my house. Do you need my mailing address? :D

Todd Ferrante
11-11-2008, 7:25 PM
Walt,
I think my next project will be a mission style fireplace and mantel. I've done a bunch of online research, but haven't found anything I especially like, though there is one that is close. The fireplace will be flanked by built-in bookshelves, possibly with the lower ones having mission style doors. For the fireplace, I'll use the same red oak I used on the doorbell cover and the plant stand I posted previously. The shelves will be oak veneered plywood, possibly with the edges capped with the same red oak.
Todd F.

Don Bullock
11-12-2008, 11:33 PM
That's great looking Todd. I have one of those on my "to do" list. Yours is adding some inspiration to get it done.:D

John Thompson
11-13-2008, 1:59 PM
Very nice Todd... and very clever also.

Sarge..

Scott Pearson
11-13-2008, 4:31 PM
I like it, very nice. I have been wanting to do that myself but it always seems to stay at the bottom of the todo list.

Scott

Pat Germain
11-13-2008, 5:43 PM
Hey, that is pretty slick. My doorbell is visible in my living room. It's really obvious since I painted the first floor a darker color this past summer. That little number looks like just the ticket to cover a plastic eyesore.

Of course, mine will be made from genuine, quartersawn old-growth oak and will be fumed. (Not!)