PDA

View Full Version : Walking is now too hard?

Ted Shrader
11-10-2008, 5:11 PM
Look what Honda has produced: Honda introduces new walking assist machine, doubles as bionic wedgie maker (http://www.engadget.com/2008/11/07/honda-introduces-new-walking-assist-machine-doubles-as-bionic-w/). :eek: :D

Who is going to be the first to get one of these? Think of all the extra shop time you could have since you would never get tired. :)

They already have one meant to assist patients that require assistance (which is an awesome development). But this one was built specifically to help "healthy" people walk. People who don't have trouble walking. In other words, if you feel that walking is too much effort, never fear! For this magical device will take the effort out of this strenuous activity.

Regards,
Ted

Pat Germain
11-10-2008, 5:25 PM
I agree it looks like a solution for people who have difficulty walking.

It's already been demonstrated there's a market for able-bodied people too lazy to walk. People on the Las Vegas strip are using those electric scooters to club hop. The Walt Disney Company was recently sued by a guest who became angry when he couldn't bring his Segway into a park at Walt Disney World. As I recall, he wasn't disabled. He was just lazy. Either way, he could have used an electric scooter like every other disabled guest.

It would seem anyone who has seen Wall-E has seen the future of mankind. :rolleyes:

Doug Shepard
11-10-2008, 6:07 PM
Sign me up. Nuthin like a good wedgie:D

Brent Smith
11-10-2008, 6:49 PM
I've always liked to think of myself as an expert at 'lazy', but technology keeps proving me an amateur at best..............

John Shuk
11-10-2008, 9:27 PM
Hey just look how popular the scooters at Walmart are.

Dewey Torres
11-11-2008, 1:49 AM
I am reminded of the woman in (I think) Gremlins who needed an assist up the staircase for her wheelchair. :rolleyes:

Curt Harms
11-11-2008, 9:11 AM
Able bodied people that go to great lengths go get a parking spot right next to their destination amuse me. If you have trouble walking or have toddlers I can understand it, but competitive parking? Now that the political polling biz is in a lull (I HOPE!) somebody needs to do a study. How many people who expend time and effort to avoid walking an extra 100-200 feet to a store have health club memberships?:rolleyes:.

I feel better now:D.

Curt

Lee DeRaud
11-11-2008, 9:56 AM
I agree it looks like a solution for people who have difficulty walking.My guess is, that's what it's actually intended for, once they improve the weight/strength/power and idiot-proof the controls. Honda is very fond of using "proof-of-concept" stuff for marketing (eg. the Asimo robot) while they work the bugs out.

This one has the advantage that, since the user is healthy/mobile on his own, the control systems can be very simple...unlike, say, a powered exoskeleton for a paraplegic. If they just get it to the level of the Segway in terms of balance and controllability, it could replace a whole bunch of push-around walkers and canes in use now by people like my mother.

Lee DeRaud
11-11-2008, 10:06 AM
How many people who expend time and effort to avoid walking an extra 100-200 feet to a store have health club memberships?:rolleyes:.Just sit out in front of the health club and count them: most days it looks like the mall at Christmas, what with all the people cruising around in "vulture mode".

(I'll cut some slack for the guy at my 24-Hour Fitness who insists on parking where he can see his car from the treadmills. It's a Lamborghini Gallardo: if I had that car, I'd probably want to keep it in sight too.:cool:)

James Stokes
11-11-2008, 11:18 AM
I have difficulty with mobility. I try to get around with out a cane or a chair, but there are times I have no choice. If their is something out there that will help me I am all for it.

Neal Clayton
11-11-2008, 6:59 PM
I am reminded of the woman in (I think) Gremlins who needed an assist up the staircase for her wheelchair. :rolleyes:

i'm reminded of the people who go to walmart and walk from the car to the door, then jump in the handicapped chairs not because they're handicapped, just because they're lazy.

Chris Padilla
11-11-2008, 7:29 PM
I'm waiting for the machine that will:

(1) Go to work for me
(2) Pay my bills for me
(3) Chew my own food
(4) Bathe me
(5) and raise my kids

Oh, and if it isn't too much to ask, could it also breathe for me??? ;)

;)

Greg Peterson
11-11-2008, 7:55 PM
I always feel a twinge of irony when I get a parking spot next to the front door of the club.