PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic Scoring Troubles...

Derek Arita
05-29-2004, 11:09 AM
Anybody here ever have problems with their PM66 leaving score marks. I have a new 66 and have tried a couple of blades and lot of adjusments, but I just can't get rid of the scoring. I had a Jet Xacta Saw that cut real smooth and expected the same out of the 66. I made all the usual adjustments several times and now I'm looking for the not-so-obvious stuff. Any experience out there would be helpful. Thanks!

Boyd Gathwright
05-29-2004, 11:22 AM
Hello Derek,
<O:p</O:p

I have a PM66 also and have had no problems so far. Could you post some pics of your problem so we can get a better idea of the circumstance?
<O:p</O:p

Interested and curious.

Boyd :)

Anybody here ever have problems with their PM66 leaving score marks. I have a new 66 and have tried a couple of blades and lot of adjusments, but I just can't get rid of the scoring. I had a Jet Xacta Saw that cut real smooth and expected the same out of the 66. I made all the usual adjustments several times and now I'm looking for the not-so-obvious stuff. Any experience out there would be helpful. Thanks!

Steven Wilson
05-29-2004, 8:26 PM
What do you mean by "score marks". I would double check the alignment of the splitter, make sure to check it's vertical alignment too! You might also want to measure the variance in the fence face, if it's more that .005" you might consider inserting shims to even it out.

Derek Arita
05-29-2004, 8:51 PM
:mad: I don't have a digital camera yet, so I can't post photos. There are visible, circular cut marks that I just can't get rid of. I've done all the usual adjustments, blade to miter slot, miter slot to fence, fence to blade, to no avail. I used the same Freud blade I used with my Jet, then tried a new one that I hadn't yet used, then I even went out a purchased a new blade to make sure. I've begun to accept the fact that this saw is going to show score marks, no matter what. What bugs me is that the saw I just sold, produced very little scoring if any and that's what I expected from the PM66. I'm hoping that there is something I am overlooking in the adjustment realm. I was also hoping that someone else had this problem and solved it by doing X, but then, that would be too simple. I've been working on this for several days now and have gone thru lots of test stock. I am becoming very frustrated with this saw, even though I realize it may very well be something I am doing or not doing. Am I asking too much from this saw? Are there always going to some score marks with most saws? Help!

Steven Wilson
05-29-2004, 9:08 PM
You should see two sets of score marks; one set is where the blade comes down on the wood, the second set is where the back of the blade comes up in the rear. You will also see these score marks on both sides of the cut. What you're looking to do is adjust the saw so that the marks are even all around. Besides the usual alignment a few other things can affect this; alignment of the splitter (is it in the same plane as the blade and centered in the kerf), alignment of the fence, arbor runnout, arbor flange runnout, and dirt, rust, etc on either the blade or arbor flange where the two meet. I would take off the blade, measure the arbor runnout and arbor flange runnout (there shouldn't be any but .001 is ok), thoroughly clean the flange, and possibly debur or flaten the flange if needed (may have a spec of something that is causing blade wobble). Next mount the blade and see if you are getting scoring on rips and crosscuts, if it's one and not the other then align the part of the saw that is unacceptable. You may find the fence is a bit off and needs a touch of relief added.

Mark Singer
05-29-2004, 9:25 PM
I have the PM 66 and have no problems. The fence should be set about 1/64 " open at the rear to lessen the chance of kickback. This will also make for a cleaner cut. I use a Freud blade stiffner on the outside ( only half of the set). You will need to run the piece through a joiner or handplane prior to glue up.

Jim Becker
05-29-2004, 9:37 PM
In a recent review of cabinet saws by WOOD Magazine, there was a similar problem noted on the Jet saw they tested. You probably should call Jet/PM and discuss it with them as they were able to provide a fix for the reviewers. Something about the arbor was out of spec, if I am recalling properly. Your saw should not leave marks on the wood like you describe if it is working properly, in alignment and equipped with a sharp blade.

Bob Hyde
05-29-2004, 9:51 PM
Derek, I'm afraid I can't be of much help other than say that I haven't experienced the kind of problem you describe with either of the 66's I've had. It may sound silly but it wouldn't hurt to make sure that your table insert is flat and stable.
Sorry, wish I could do more than say, keep lookin'
good luck,
bob