PDA

View Full Version : Tempest 2.5 hp Cyclone. What do you think

John Hedges
11-10-2008, 1:10 PM
I am looking to upgrade to a cyclone from a 2hp single stage DC.

I have been running a 6" network with 4" drops for a couple of years now with a PSI DC2000. This has worked very well until recently. Basically I added a run to a 20" BS that has 2 ports and it just isn't moving enough air at those outlets. Additionally I would like to have some more air flow at my miter station, and would like to get some of the ducting off the floor to reclaim some space. I have a very small shop which is 28' x 10' so I don't need anything real big.

After looking around I ruled out the new JDS because the size and shape of a traditional cyclone will work better with my layout and I won't need the mobility. I also ruled out Grizzly because of the motors and length of warranty. The Oneida's, while very nice, are also exhorbidantly expensive, and while the Clear Vue also looks nice it seems to only be available in 5hp, which would be complete overkill in my shop, and would require me to change out the electrical hookup. I noticed that the new Tempest has a 5 year warranty on the motor and blower assembly and is priced very well. I know it did not do as well as the Grizzly and Oneida in some of the tests I have seen but the numbers looked like they would be fine in my shop. Especially since I will have 1 straight 25' run across the shop with drops directly off the main trunk, and all of the biggest tools from a waste perspective will be located very close to the collector. So I am looking for input from anyone who has experience with the 2.5 hp PSI Tempest.
http://www.pennstateind.com/graphics/400px/TEMP1425S.jpg

John Bailey
11-10-2008, 1:51 PM
Well - it looks better than the yellow, orange, blue, etc.;);)

John

John Thompson
11-10-2008, 3:01 PM
Mine's been turned on about 12 times today at least. I have it centrally located with the large machines I use if for clustered around it so to speak. Than a sngle.. clear 6" heavy.. wire re-enforced flex line that Penn State sells that go directly to each large machine. Those machines have been modified to accept the 6" line with no reduction.

So... I have no problem what-so-ever with air flow to spare. How well it will preform by dropping multiple times and then reducing... I really couldn't say since I don't and set up that way from the git-go? If I had to guess.. I would say you should be fine but that is only a guess due to the above.

Good luck...

Sarge..

Greg Narozniak
11-10-2008, 3:26 PM
The Oneida V series is the same price as the Tempest that your looking at. Have you looked @ that one?

http://www.oneida-air.com/v2000.php

John Hedges
11-10-2008, 4:30 PM
The Oneida V series is the same price as the Tempest that your looking at. Have you looked @ that one?

http://www.oneida-air.com/v2000.php

Yes I have looked at those. I actually started a thread a few weeks back asking about them here and on another forum and could not find anyone who actually owned one. Since there has been no independent evaluations of these units that I can find, I am reluctant to go down that path.

Jim Becker
11-10-2008, 7:54 PM
There is a poster in the Oneida Manufacturer's Forum who just received and installed his V-Series...and seems to be quite pleased. These are a new product, so there are not a lot of owners "out there" yet with major experience on the V, but based on Oneida's history and reputation, they will likely perform as specified...they don't tend to inflate performance expectations like many other manufacturers do.

The Tempest products historically have not been top performers in tests, but do work fine for the money. If PSI would update the design from a bolt on blower to something that is optimized for the job, the performance would likely improve in those tests. IMHO, of course. Right now, Oneida, Grizzly and ClearVue probably have the best offerings when it comes to real dust collection performance.

Greg Narozniak
11-12-2008, 8:19 AM
There is a poster in the Oneida Manufacturer's Forum who just received and installed his V-Series...and seems to be quite pleased. These are a new product, so there are not a lot of owners "out there" yet with major experience on the V, but based on Oneida's history and reputation, they will likely perform as specified...they don't tend to inflate performance expectations like many other manufacturers do.

The Tempest products historically have not been top performers in tests, but do work fine for the money. If PSI would update the design from a bolt on blower to something that is optimized for the job, the performance would likely improve in those tests. IMHO, of course. Right now, Oneida, Grizzly and ClearVue probably have the best offerings when it comes to real dust collection performance.

I agree 100% with Jim which is why I posted it. What was the product with the slogan "If the name is "XXXXXX" it has to be good" that is my experience with Oneida. They don't sell junk.