PDA

View Full Version : Need Sound Advise

Anthony Smaldone
11-10-2008, 12:56 PM
As I stated in another post, Im turning my basement into a wood shop. My next issue is sound control. I have 2x12 floor joists and will be filling the bays with R30 unfaced bats. Below that I was thinking either double Sheet Rock or 1 layer of Homestote (or similar) and 1 layer S/R. Are there any acoustic experts out there that know which is best?
Below the S/R I'll be hanging grid ceiling with drop in Fluoresents.
My wife has her office above a section of the future shop and the noise is a big issue. I want to get it right the first try.

Thanks
Anthony

Jamie Buxton
11-10-2008, 1:07 PM
Hang the sheetrock with resiliant channel. It acoustically isolates the sheetrock, to reduce transmission through the ceiling. It is standard stuff in the drywall industry. Here's a page about it: http://www.soundproofing.org/infopages/channel.htm

Anthony Smaldone
11-10-2008, 2:09 PM
Thanks for the reply Jamie,
The only concern I have with this application is, How do I secure the Grid ceiling that will be below the channel. It says that there should be no screws through the S/R into the joists. (it will short out the system). I'll have to look and see if I can run some supports below the S/R. ( don't know if I have the room)

Thanks again
Anthony

Jamie Buxton
11-10-2008, 3:20 PM
A grid system and lights don't weigh a great deal. I'd hang them with hollow-wall anchors from the sheetrock. You can use 5/8" rock for more strength than the usual 1/2" stuff.

I really like the hollow-wall anchors which auger themselves into the sheetrock. They install easily, don't shatter the rock, and the big wide threads grab the rock securely. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=15956&highlight=anchor

Ross Ellis
11-10-2008, 3:26 PM
Spend some time browsing the many Home Theater Forums. Lots of good info in them.

Jim O'Dell
11-10-2008, 7:11 PM
There is also the 'green glue' that isolates vibration/sound transmission. Might be able to couple that on both sides of the resiliant channel. Then it is only the screw or nail points that transmit the noise. Homosote is supposed to be very good, but I've never found it locally where I could look at it. The model train people used to use it for road bed for the track to cut down the toy sound.
I agree on finding some home theater forums and dig around. I bet they have some great information there. Jim.

travis howe
11-10-2008, 9:42 PM
If you already havn't... do a search on quietrock. It's sound proofing sheet rock. The basic stuff has the sound proofing of 8 sheets of regular sheet rock. You can get really crazy w/ some of the higher end stuff they have. It's not cheap but could be well worth your wife.;)

Anthony Smaldone
11-11-2008, 11:22 AM
Thanks for all the info guys.
I did look at quietrock but had no idea it was that effective. I guess at $40 a board it should be.

Thanks again
Anthony

Matt Ocel
11-11-2008, 8:42 PM
2 Layers of drywall = Resiliant channel and 1 layer off drywall.

I prefer the 2 layers of drywal.

Either way, remember to adjust electrical openings accordingly.

Skip the fiberglass batts, you don't get enough bang for the buck.

My .02

Allen Prell
11-13-2008, 10:25 AM
I would highly recommend using the cotton fiber insulation usually made from recycled denim. It has much better sound absorbtion properties than the normal fiberglass insulation. I insulated my basement shop with the stuff and then hung drywall in the typical fashion (no resilient channel). My wife says she can barely hear any workshop noise when she's upstairs.

Here's a link to one manufacturer --
http://www.bondedlogic.com/ultratouch-cotton.htm
From the website: "UltraTouch's patented manufacturing technology creates a three dimensional infrastructure that traps, isolates and controls sound waves. UltraTouch offers an extremely high Noise Reduction Coefficient to effectively reduce airborne sound transmission including traffic, airplanes, radios, television, and conversation."

Sonny Edmonds
11-13-2008, 9:16 PM
... make her move her office out to the garage. :rolleyes:

Kerry Wright
11-24-2008, 3:10 PM
You have probably already decided, but here's what I did. Run a line (between 1/8 and 1/4") of silicone along the joists, let it dry. Hang your first layer of 1/2" sheetrock, being careful not to over tighten your screws. Then add another layer of silicone, again where the joists are, allow to dry. Hang your second layer of 1/2" sheetrock. Be sure to stagger the seams of the two layers and use wavy lines of silicon as opposed to straight lines. I haven't tried it with a planer running yet, but so far the results are positive.

Good Luck
Kerry

Brent Smith39
11-24-2008, 3:24 PM
As someone that is remodeling their basement for a home theater, I've done some research on AVS forum. I'm going with RSIC clips, 2 layers of 5/8" drywall with green clue between the layers. You also need to take into consideration doors, windows, outlets, switches, heat/air ducts, etc. Sound works like water in an aquarium, any hole and it will leak through.

Keep in mind, all this is mostly dampen the low frequency sounds from sub woofers, I'm sure you could get away with less and save some money and still get some good sound isolation.

Good luck,
Brent

Derek Stevens
11-26-2008, 12:57 AM
If you already havn't... do a search on quietrock. It's sound proofing sheet rock. The basic stuff has the sound proofing of 8 sheets of regular sheet rock. You can get really crazy w/ some of the higher end stuff they have. It's not cheap but could be well worth your wife.;)
expeeeennnnnsssssive. I would pick up acopy of an AIA STC chart for differing assemblies. The key to sound transmission abatement is differing densities of materials. a combo of 1/2" and 5/8"s has a higher rating than two stacked and staggered sheets of 5/8". an airspace in the isulative cavity also adds more to the stc rating than a solid insulation filled 2x12 cavity.
STC charts show up in "Architectural and Graphic Standards".

Richard Lewis
11-26-2008, 1:30 AM
Skip the pink fiberglass stuff and see if you can get Roxul products in your area. (I don't know how common the brand is in the US)

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=972190&Ntt=972190&catalogId=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&recN=0&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber

It is a high density mineral wool insulation. Much better sound damper than the pink, fireproof, etc.