PDA

View Full Version : Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
11-10-2008, 9:09 AM
10 Nov 2008
Christmas is getting Closer.!!!

Good morning. I hope each of you are well and staying warm for those of you in cooler/colder climates.

This weekend was filled with the day job, which I'm glad to still be imployeed, and with church, bass playing, family time, and some much needed sleep.

Today the family and I are taking an elderly lady a load of firewood, cut, split, and will be stacked when we deliver it. She has no money for heat since propane costs have really climbed and she only has enough money to buy propane to help her keep her home warm enough to keep the pipes from freezing. I've been blessed with plenty of firewood for this year and now it's my turn to be a blessing to someone very much in need. Funny thing is, she asked me "how much will it cost?" and I stood there and just lightly chuckled. I told her that it would cost her a "drink of water". She smiled and was relieved that she would be getting wood for heat this winter. I just love helping people. I've been blessed and it's my desire to be a blessing when and where I can.

The kitchen table project is moving along, but I won't make the Thanksgiving deadline that I had hoped for. It will more than likely be early December. This week the entire table top will be glued up, the legs will be cut and glued up and the skirt material will be cut and ready for assembly.

Well, that's it for me. So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Jim Becker
11-10-2008, 9:20 AM
Sounds like you had a busy, but productive and enjoyable weekend, Dennis.

Saturday was horsie things for most of the day and on Sunday, with both girls having play-dates, etc., I spent way too much time doing taxi service. I did get some pictures hung, a toilet repaired and the kitchen sink sprayer replaced as well as took measurements for some frames that I need to build for some cloth art that needs hung in the MBR and great room. It's becoming quite clear that I need to buy a buck transformer for the shop to keep my slider running...the power company has let the voltage rise too far and the over-voltage circuitry is shutting the machine down. Said power company has been unresponsive to my pleas to deal with the supply directly. They don't consider 244v to be out of spec. And I need the saw to cut the material I need for the frames and for the stock to get the glass in the wet bar doors finally. Oy!

Ken Fitzgerald
11-10-2008, 9:22 AM
Well,

This weekend I turned a couple of projects and spent time with family. Friday night as we were walking out the door to have dinner with some friends, one of our granddaughters called. She, her husband and our little great-granddaughter Riley are moving to Phoenix in early December. I was in the room when little Riley was born. Our first great grandchild..... She is now 27 months old and she spends 3 or 4 nights per month with Nanny and Pa-Pa. As they live across the Snake River in Clarkston, WA she is a regular visitor and part of our lives. Friday night the LOML cried during the entire evening. Friday after we got home little Riley came over to spend the night. Saturday morning I turned a couple wheels for a fellow Creeker and between trips to the lathe, played with little Riley. Sunday little Riley came over in the afternoon. I managed to get one pen turned and played with little Riley. When the little thing moves next month some of the sunshine will be missing from my life.

BOB OLINGER
11-10-2008, 9:28 AM
Set up my Shop Fox mortiser and made a few test mortises. Then, put my Grizzly Tenon Jig together - boy, that is an impressive piece of equipment, then made a couple of tenons. Next weekend is putting together my new Shop Fox moulding machine, ordering a set of knives. All this is pointed toward some serious production of plantation shutters.

Kent E. Matthew
11-10-2008, 9:38 AM
I made and installed a cherry vanity a couple of years ago. No good job is worth doing if you can't leave it unfinished. I had problems with the door. This weekend I started that door. I have the raised panel from the first attempt. Milled the stiles and rails yesterday. Need to do some sanding, staining, and finishing. My wife was acting like it was an early X Mas present.

JohnT Fitzgerald
11-10-2008, 9:39 AM
played "moving company"....moved my F-I-L into an assisted living that's much closer to us. The pretty much meant zero time around the house or in the shop, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Anthony Whitesell
11-10-2008, 10:14 AM
I haven't been able to add anything juicy to the weekend threads until now.

The basement got emptied. :) The 'storage area' got filled. :rolleyes:

The storage area is a 10' wide by 12' long shed without walls for providing cover for all the lawn and garden equipment.

The storage area has been in the design and planning stage for about 6 months. In September, finally rented an excavator to dig in to the bank and level out the spot. The following week the holes were dug and the cement made and poured. Two weeks later the woodwork was started and completed. At the end of the day I found out just how unlevel the 'floor' was (the back was 6" higher than the front). The roof went up the following week. At this time of the year, work on it can only be done on it during the weekend due to the lack of sun when I get home from work. The next two weekends I spent digging the now-packed clay floor level and just low enough not to hit my head on the ceiling joists. This weekend was finally move out/move in day.

In addition, the new G0490 jointer assembly got finished and powered up. :D I figured that would be another week. Lots of assembly nuiances with that fella. First you put the bed on the stand, then install the belt and line up the motor. Finally you attempt to install the belt cover only to find out the holes don't line up between the cover and the stand and you can't get the bolts in. Now you loosen everything. Move the bed as far to the front as the holes will allow. Tighten the bed, realign the motor, and pray there was enough slop in the holes to line up the belt cover. In addition to the shipping costs, there was also a full bottle on Simple Green and a half roll of paper towels required to get the cosmoline off everything, then beds, fence, handles, bolts, nuts, washers, cutterhead, cutter guard, everything. She sure is pretty. (sorry I forgot the picture)

This was all done while waiting for the test finish to dry on scraps from the latest project (coffe table for the MIL's Birthday). It was my first time using BLO on red oak, making and applying shellac, and using alkyd-resin varnish.

It was quite the weekend. I'm glad to be back at work where things are a little less rushed. :)

Matt Meiser
11-10-2008, 11:02 AM
I started by running around Toledo looking for clamps. I also got a bunch of work in on the dresser and am to the point where I just need to cut domino slots for the dust frames and then I can glue up the carcase. I'm pushing to try to get it done because my work travel may shoot up here in a week or two if a project we proposed on comes in. I love it when people wait to spend their budget until the end of the year, then try to cram it in anyway. :rolleyes:

Ken Fitzgerald
11-10-2008, 11:43 AM
Matt,

It happens so much in my business, management won't allow us to take vacation between Thanksgiving and New Years. Of course, they do....be can't!

Jim O'Dell
11-10-2008, 11:55 AM
I started out Sat running a 24 grit sanding disc on the "Pink Room" floor. worked for about 1 1/2 hour grinding paint on the floor. Worked a little, but I went through 2 discs and did 1/3 of the room, about 8" out from the wall, and not a great job at that. Stopped and went to Lowe's for a diamond grinding cup. Spent the next 1 1/2 hours grinding the whole floor! 14X15 room, plus closet area. But man, does that create some dust. I could grind for 5 minutes or until I couldn't see, then stop for the cloud to clear. I did have negative pressure in the room with an exhaust fan in the window, and fresh air coming in through the house system with just the fan on. Then did clean up...that took a while.
Sunday, spent some time getting my starting point set up so that eventually I can put one more tile at the threshold and make a 7" border around the entry, then run the tiles on the diagonal in the middle, running on into the family room and kitchen. I wanted the border to continue into the family room without having cut tiles there. If I decide not to do it that way, then no problem. Started tiling around a short Creeker visit, and 2 families visiting the rescue dogs. Got about 1/3 done. Will need some more crack isolation membrane before I can continue.
I then collapsed into the chair. :D Jim.

Steve Rozmiarek
11-10-2008, 11:28 PM
MUCH better weekend than last here. Got to unpack the new Felder. Wow. That is something that everyone ought to experience. To see that absolutly amazing machine come together is quite a trip. Photos will follow... Its still a sculpture at this point though, still waiting on tooling.

Oh, and it snowed. 8 feet in places and 2" in others. Love the Nebraska wind.

Steve Rozmiarek
11-10-2008, 11:29 PM
Jim, you just need to draw more amps!

Scott Haddix
11-11-2008, 7:46 PM
I'd posted a thread earlier for advise on a special display case I was building for my son's TKD instructor, as a thank you for his years of work with my son. My son tested for his black belt this weekend, and did great (the old man can still take him though!).

So, I finished the display and presented it to the instructor. The only downside was the brass plaque I'd ordered with the instructor's name in Korean did not arrive in time, so I had to do a temporary one.

The design is based on a Korean Buddhist temple with two sets of stairs leading up, representing the steps to enlightenment, which I thougth was a good analogy to the progression of a student through the different belt levels. You can see a picture of the temple that served as the inspiration at http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=951565#poststop

It is made of curly maple with a tung oil finish, except for the 4 dowels, which are plain maple. The front view really doesn't do the curly maple justice, but I've already given it away, so cannot take a better picture at the moment.

Kelly C. Hanna
11-12-2008, 7:34 AM
Love to see folks paying the community back Dennis...way to go!

I spent time out at the ranch getting the new turtle enclosure planted with donated bushes and such. Then I went to pick up some stones that were donated. We're very close to getting it finished.

Sunday I outfitted the shop with french doors from a jobsite in Dallas...sure glad to get that much extra light in the shop before the big cabinet job starts!!

Mike Heidrick
11-12-2008, 8:31 AM
Last weekend was road trip weekend. Friday my buddy and I went to IN to buy quarter sawn red oak, flat sawn red oak, and cherry and a small amount of walnut. Couple of jobs coming up and a few at home projects. We brought home 1500 bdft. About 550 went to his shop, 550 to mine, and 100 each to two woodworking club members.

Saturday was spent unloading and I managed to get a couple doors glued up.

Sunday was supposed to be in the shop but dad was coming to town (he lives about 88 miles away)and his transmission went out so we had to get a car hauler and get his car back home. Before he left we had breakfast and went to a stamp collecting show together. Then he playd with his grandaughter for awhile. Also we were in the shop a bit together and managed to sand the doors. We had a great LONG day that culminated by eating at the Beef House for dinner just into IN by my dads house.

Randy Looney
11-12-2008, 10:49 PM
This past weekend I set up my new 19" Bandsaw and Oscillating sander. I was even able to make a quick resaw cut with the bandsaw. This was with the cheap Griz 3/4" blade that came with it. The new Timberwolfe blades will have to wait till I get the saw set up. The Oscillating sander usage will have to wait till my next trip.

Jack Camillo
11-13-2008, 5:03 AM
Got started on this pistol box. This weekend I'll have to finish "the interior" (guts). Also, having trouble deciding on hardware. I'd like to see the hardware in person before buying to ensure the quality matches that of the pistol, but that's difficult around here. Anyone know a place in the Howard County MD area that has a very good inventory stock of quality box hardware?