PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Table

Chuck Durst
11-10-2008, 8:37 AM
Hi All,
My wife would like me to build her a kitchen table. I was thinking about using 45 mitered corners. I was looking to see if anybody has done it before and looking for help as too how to do it. I was thinking of using dowls to attach pieces as it went out. Thanks for all your time and in advance for all and any help. Or an I crazy for trying it. I think she wants it a square so maybe that will help.

Chuck

Jim Becker
11-10-2008, 9:08 AM
If you use a field (table top) that is made of veneer ply or use your own veneer over a composite substrate like MDF, you could do the mitered corners with little issue. But if the top is to be of solid stock, you'll have wood movement issues.

Chuck Durst
11-10-2008, 5:10 PM
t
Thanks Jim,
Would I be better off just to run 1" side by side rather than use 4- 45s for the corners. Just was thinking of doing something different ,not impossible.Then brace it up from underneath.

Chuck

Steve Jenkins
11-10-2008, 6:57 PM
Can you give a little better explanation of what you are wanting to do. I can't figure out for sure what you're asking.

Chuck Durst
11-10-2008, 7:51 PM
What I was going to try to do was make a kitchen table "rectangle" out of 1x not sure of board size and use 4-mitered 45 for the corners. I was going to dowle the boards together as I worked my way out. 4ft by 3.5ft.total size. My wife thinks it would look real nice and something that she hasn't seen before. hope this helps explain it better, I would draw a picture but I'm not that computer savy.

Chuck

Jim Becker
11-10-2008, 8:08 PM
Since you are going to build the top out of solid stock, the 45º mitered corners are going to be a problem. You'll be better off with a traditional bread-board end that can float as the table contracts and expands across its width seasonally.

Chuck Durst
11-10-2008, 8:21 PM
I'll probability do it with the side by side breadboard design. I hope it will be easier on me.I just thaught that the square 4 corner design would look nice. Didn't realize that it would be that hard. Thanks again for the help.

Chuck

Paul Girouard
11-10-2008, 8:22 PM
Bread board ends,

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b299/PEG688/Nov420083.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b299/PEG688/Nov420084.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b299/PEG688/Nov620087.jpg

Helps keeps the table flat as well.

Chuck Durst
11-10-2008, 8:45 PM
Hey Paul,
That is a very nice looking table you put together there. I hope that I can do half as good as that.

Chuck

Jim Becker
11-10-2008, 9:18 PM
I'll probability do it with the side by side breadboard design. I hope it will be easier on me.I just thaught that the square 4 corner design would look nice. Didn't realize that it would be that hard. Thanks again for the help.

Chuck, it's not about hard...it's about the table not cracking apart with seasonal movement as it might if you used the mitered corners with everything glued up tight. That's why you're getting the recommendations you are since you're building with solid wood. Breadboard ends, when executed correctly, "float" on the end of the table and don't constrain the top from it's normal expansion and contraction. At various points in the year, a breadboard end may be slightly proud of the table width and at other times it might be slightly narrower than the table width. That floating insures that the wood can live its life without exerting force against a cross grain joint. (The amount of movement is dependent on species and on the weather/climate/moisture of where you live)