PDA

View Full Version : Laguna Motor Woes

john lawson
11-10-2008, 7:32 AM
I have an older model Laguna 16HD, the one with the 3 hp Italian motor. About a year ago a capacitor went out and the saw would not start. I replaced the capacitor and everything has been fine until now.

Recently I have noticed that the saw slows or bogs down when cutting anything over 3/4"; the thicker the cut the more it slows down. Yesterday I was ripping some 2" poplar and the saw would really slow down if I pushed it through at a normal feed rate.

My question is this, does this sound like another capacitor problem or is this the dreaded "dead motor" problem that some have had with this saw/motor?

thanks for the replies.

john lawson

Fred Belknap
11-10-2008, 7:53 AM
I have an older model Laguna 16HD, the one with the 3 hp Italian motor. About a year ago a capacitor went out and the saw would not start. I replaced the capacitor and everything has been fine until now.

Recently I have noticed that the saw slows or bogs down when cutting anything over 3/4"; the thicker the cut the more it slows down. Yesterday I was ripping some 2" poplar and the saw would really slow down if I pushed it through at a normal feed rate.

My question is this, does this sound like another capacitor problem or is this the dreaded "dead motor" problem that some have had with this saw/motor?

thanks for the replies.

john lawson
Sounds more like a belt slipping. My experience with electric motors they either work or they don't.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-10-2008, 8:26 AM
John,

I'd try Fred's suggestion of checking belt tension and maybe even consider replacing it.

It's possible it's the motor if some of the winding were to short but typically when that happerns I"d expect to get irritating breaker trips on your electrical panel or overcurrent trips if the saw has a thermal-overload breaker.

Good luck!

Anthony Whitesell
11-10-2008, 11:51 AM
Could be a pulley slipping as well. What all did you have to remove when you changed ou tht starter cap?

john lawson
11-10-2008, 8:50 PM
I will check the belt and pulley. When I changed the capacitor I did not have to remove anything. The capacitor sits on top of the motor and is readily accessible from outside.

thanks for the advice.

john lawson

Marcus Ward
11-10-2008, 9:14 PM
How sharp is your blade?