PDA

View Full Version : Getting into the Laser World

Kevin Baker
11-10-2008, 6:12 AM
Hi Everyone!

Finally getting a laser (Versalaser VLS3.50 25w). I'm in Anderson, SC (about 15 mins west of Greenville, SC) anyone local to me?

Looking forward to sharing and learning.

Kevin

Phyllis Meyer
11-10-2008, 9:23 AM
Kevin,

Welcome to the creek, we're a long way from SC, but just wanted to say Hi and wish you the best! Wonderful information on this site, great folks, and lots of excellent reading!!

Sincerely,
Phyllis:)

Angus Hines
11-10-2008, 3:32 PM
Welcome to the best learning resource on the web. Not close to you but do visit "Pickens SC." occasionally

Larry Bratton
11-10-2008, 5:11 PM
Hi Kevin:
I am in Catawba,SC, close to Rock Hill. My laser is an Epilog EXT36 40w. Anytime I can help, give me a shout. Welcome to the Creek.

Bruce Volden
11-10-2008, 5:43 PM
Hi Kevin,

I'm in SD (comes after SC anyway) 20 degrees here.

Anyway, seriously, welcome to the "crick".

Bruce

Mike Mackenzie
11-10-2008, 7:17 PM
Kevin,

Welcome to the world of lasers and of course the Creek. If you ever need any assistance with the new system just let me know.

Kevin Baker
11-12-2008, 6:06 AM
Thanks everyone! Can't wait to get some experience under my belt and give back. I do have one question. Once I get my laser, I'll spend a little time doing trial runs. What material is cheap and would give me a good ideal of how the laser works.

Thanks,
Kevin

Dee Gallo
11-12-2008, 7:37 AM
Hi Kevin,

Glad you found this forum, it's a lifesaver for people just getting started!

I don't know about Versalaser, but when I got my Epilog I got tons of samples from companies wanting to sell me stuff. These samples were a great way to find out what kinds of materials are available and how they work, even though they are small, they are free! Also, lots of companies will send you samples if you ask. I've gotten free samples of marble, granite, wood, acrylic and so on.

If you're like the most of us, you'll probably start burning everything you can just for the fun and to see what happens. A great suggestion I picked up here long ago was to make test pieces with the settings right on the piece for future reference.. saves a lot of time and remembering. I also copy down settings into my manual from people posting here whenever I see something not in the manual already.

Good luck, dee