PDA

View Full Version : Wood In New Jersey

Jason Whitaker
11-09-2008, 11:44 PM
I am trying to find a place that has reasonable prices on quality wood in the Northern New Jersey area (eastern PA, Southern NY, CT are all driveable for the right prices)

The only place I know of near me is getting somewhere around $10+/bf for woods like Maple, Mahogany, etc..

Any suggestions are much appreciated. I know very little but am trying to learn and am loving this website!

Thanks
Jay

Jeffrey Makiel
11-10-2008, 6:42 AM
Jason...if you find any bargain spots, be sure to let us know. I'm not aware of any discounted places in NJ. The lowest cost place I know of is NJ Hardwoods in South Plainfield. They do mill work, but sell common limited hardwoods from their inventory.

-Jeff :)

Bret Jackson
11-10-2008, 7:38 AM
Mike Quinn in Yardley PA has a nice selection of rough lumber and reasonable prices. Youll have to look up the number. Last time I bought walnut there i think it was around $6 bf.

Jim Becker
11-10-2008, 7:49 AM
Yes, Mike Quinn does have nice material at reasonable prices. He's located at 1654 Dobry Road, Yardley, PA 19067 and his number is 215-493-6252. Another one is Wherungs Specialty Woods (http://www.wehrungsspecialtywoods.com/index.html) in Ottsville, PA. Pricing is variable, but competitive.

Don't forget Mike Morgan who has a manufacturer's forum here at SMC. His prices are very good, even with shipping added. To mitigate shipping, get together with a few other folks in your area and combine orders.

Greg Narozniak
11-10-2008, 8:29 AM
Hearne Hardwoods - PA Long drive for me but it was the only place I could find Pine when the project at the time called for it. HUGE selection, Worth the ride. They had SLABS of exotics, tons of hardwood. Very nice people to deal with. Prices were fair on the Pine and oak I picked up while there.

AGINCOURT - Hillsborough, NJ Since I moved to Hillsborough, This is my Primary supplier. Great people to deal with, They have a thousand acres in Virgina where they have a lumber mill and some gets sold there and some gets sold in NJ. Excellent selection of lumber, both Domestic and exotic, good prices and the best reason is only 5 minutes from my house

Jason Whitaker
11-10-2008, 8:32 AM
Thanks for the great suggestions, I am going to be making several calls today and hopefully a trip somewhere this weekend!

Rob Cunningham
11-10-2008, 9:21 AM
Another vote for Mike Quinn. He has a good selection of both domestic and exotic wood. His prices are fair and he is a nice guy to deal with. He prefers to deal in cash, but will take a check after he gets to know you.

Mitchell Andrus
11-10-2008, 10:33 AM
Reisen Lumber in Kenilworth has plenty to choose from, but it takes a large-ish order to get thier att'n. My orders run 300 BF+.Try Willard Brothers north of Trenton off of Rt 1. They sell 1-sies and 2-sies and have some fine specimine stuff, but the prices are a bit high in small quantities.

Prashun Patel
11-10-2008, 10:41 AM
I also like Willard Brothers in Trenton, NJ. It's worth a trip there just to see the furniture display room.

Bob Landel
11-10-2008, 11:54 AM
Center Lumber in Paterson was mentioned to me. I drove by. Didn't stop. It looks like a rough area. They seemed to have a volume of reclaimed looking lumber.

What do you North Jersey guys know about M. L. Condon, White Plains, N. Y. ? I purchased a pierce of Hard Maple which I made into a Shaker Clock. I have no idea what is good or high pricing for wood.

Bob Landel

Tom Young
11-10-2008, 12:49 PM
Jay,

I've found that Woodplanet.com is a good place to search for local vendors. Several NJ vendors currently have offers to sell (OTS) to woodworkers. I see that Timber Brook in Oxford, NJ is about 50 miles west of Wayne, NJ on I-80. They have listing for FAS 4/4 cherry random widths and lengths for $4.00 a bdft, 100' minimum. I have never dealt with them personally, but that is a very reasonable price for FAS cherry.

I used Woodplanet.com to submit a request for quote for 500 bdft of FAS 5/4 poplar. I received several quotes ranging from $1.25 to $4.00. I bought from Roberts Plywood in Deer Park, NY for $1.54 a bdft delivered to my home. Great people to deal with and the product was excellent. I ordered 5" or wider random widths and lengths and received 10' footers from 6" - 18" wide. I could not have been more satisfied.

Good luck with your search.

Tom

Paul B. Cresti
11-11-2008, 3:15 PM
Williard Brothers in Trenton...I have been going there for years. They did chnage ownership latley but I still find use them. I did go to Agincourt in Hillsboro once (also around the corner from me) but I found there prices not that great plus their kiln dried wood warped real bad for me. I will not use them again.

Verne Mattson
11-11-2008, 4:47 PM
What do you North Jersey guys know about M. L. Condon, White Plains, N. Y. ? I purchased a pierce of Hard Maple which I made into a Shaker Clock.

I last used Condon years ago, and I remember they were expensive as opposed to ordering from Hearne Lumber or Groff Lumber, even with shipping. Things might be different now.

The good thing about Condon is that it's close and they have a huge selection.

Jim Becker
11-11-2008, 5:44 PM
Paul, has Willard moderated their prices at all? Things really ratcheted up there to the point it was worth the extra long drive to Hearne for me...

Jeffrey Makiel
11-11-2008, 5:45 PM
Actually, this question was asked not too long ago. In a private message to a fellow member, I provided the following suggestions. However, they may not be 'bargains'...

-Jeff :)

** Willard Lumber just outside of Trenton. They have a large selection. On their website, they ship by square foot. At their yard, they sell by the traditional board foot, and there prices are less since they do not dress the wood. They have let me sort thru their stock. However, this was under the old ownership as I understand it. http://www.willardbrothers.net/

** US Mahogany, Aberdeen. They are right off the Gardern State Parkway. In additon to mahogany, they carry some other hardwoods. They also have some exotics priced per individual board. They have also let me sort thru their stock. http://www.usmahogany.com/

** New Jersey Hardwoods, South Plainfield. They mostly sell common domestic hardwoods and are just rough sawn. Limited selection. They mostly sell their lumber as a side business to their millwork business. They've had good prices on oak in the past. They will also surface plane your order.

** Jaegar Lumber in Belmar. I have never been there, but Neil Slattery is the hardwood dealer there. Neil use to own Interstate Hardwoods in Elizabeth which was an excellent hardwood supplier. Interstate has long since closed, but Neil teamed up with Jaegar in Belmar. It's a bit of a ride for me, but I would like to visit him again some day. http://www.jaegerlumber.com/moldings...ods/index.html (http://www.jaegerlumber.com/moldings_hardwoods/index.html)

** Home Depot. Only for very small quantities. They are very expensive.

Paul B. Cresti
11-12-2008, 1:30 PM
Paul, has Willard moderated their prices at all? Things really ratcheted up there to the point it was worth the extra long drive to Hearne for me...

Jim,
In all honesty I do not know. Their prices went up a bit when I was there last but not enough for me to not go there. I have only been there a couple of times under the new ownership so things may have changed more.
I was so use to the previous ownership in calling them up and asking for a certain amount of BF and then having them call me when it was in. I always asked for rough sawn... I got to know them real well and it never even crossed my mind to look elsewhere...plus they are quite close

Jim Becker
11-12-2008, 1:51 PM
Paul, I only ask because I know that when they bought out Simmie Agen's stock from his wife, they pretty much doubled the price from what I heard. It's actually been a few years since I've been to Willard.

Dan Bussiere
11-12-2008, 2:42 PM
There is also:

Mr. Roberts Wood Center
50 Clements Bridge Rd
Barrington, NJ
(856) 547-7620

I am not associated with them in any way, but I have bought wood there and they were reasonable.

Dan

Dave Watkins
11-12-2008, 10:43 PM
Willard is pretty close to me, but yeah, a bit more expensive than others. I'm not sure that they changed ownership, just management I think. Last time I was there I bought some of Simmie's stock, it was discounted from their regular stuff but I'm sure not as cheap as it was when he sold it.

I like Montheath in Old Bridge. Larger quantities and varieties. It's a longer drive but if I'm going for more than 1 or 2 boards it is worth it.

Dave Malen
11-12-2008, 11:12 PM
Good guy to deal with and very fair prices. Been going there for years
Dave

Joshua O Lilburn
11-13-2008, 1:15 PM
I am placing an order today with PA Lumber/ Mike Morgan. It will be shipped to Northern NJ Oak Ridge to be exact. If you are interested in getting your wood shipped with mine It will reduce the shipping per bd foot.

Shoot me a PM.

Joshua

Steve Rayboy
11-13-2008, 2:29 PM
I'm not too sure about prices, but Dykes lumber (main yard is in Weehawken)
201-867-0391. Another yard is Rosenzweig lumber...it's a candy store for woodworkers, in the south Bronx, near the Triboro bridge. 718-585-8050. They let you pick out your own boards (some places don't). They also have a large selection of plywoods.

Fred Voorhees
11-13-2008, 5:54 PM
Paul, I only ask because I know that when they bought out Simmie Agen's stock from his wife, they pretty much doubled the price from what I heard. It's actually been a few years since I've been to Willard.

And boy, did that break my heart when I lost the supply that Simmie had. Some beautiful oak, walnut and other species there in that old barn.

Curt Harms
11-15-2008, 9:29 AM
Woodfinder(dot)com.

Daren K Nelson
11-16-2008, 9:22 AM
Doesn't anyone around here every look for local sawmills ? A fraction of the price usually, and you can find unique things you would not find shrink wrapped and labeled at the other places. :rolleyes:

I put a list of links together to help find sawmills that sell direct...you are literally surrounded, I did a quick search. http://nelsonwoodworks.biz/pb/wp_a9976cb4/wp_a9976cb4.html

Noah Levy
11-16-2008, 4:01 PM
Well I had written a rather long reply but somehow it got lost in the web browser and I'm not writing it all again. Curse me for not writing it in microsft word first DHAMKIT!

Anyway you can PM me for more details.

I live 10 minutes from Willard. Do yourself a favor and don't go there, they are crooks and their wood is not that great! Don't waste your day driving to Hearne. My woodworking friends and I laugh every time we read a post about how great Hearne is. They really aren't, and you can find MUCH BETTER stuff at better prices. Go to woodfinder or woodplanet, call some of the people and have them send you some pictures. You're best bet is to buy a whole or half log. You will get really nice material with matching grain and your furniture will be all the better. You can find it for the same price as the regular guff they sell at Willard or Hearne.

Like I said, feel free to PM me and maybe I can give you some more info.

Noah

everett lowell
11-16-2008, 5:51 PM
Jason, I buy all my hardwood in the rough and mill it myself,and I buy it at Center Lumber on Fulton st. in paterson nj. I live in Pompton lakes, just around the corner from you, so its only a 20 minute ride. They have a huge inventory of maple, walnut ,cherry, white oak, red oak, poplur, you name it !I havent stocked up for almost two years but I was paying about 3.50 per board ft for maple at that time, I dont know the going rates now.they will surface your wood if you want. feel free to e-mail me if you want @ elowell58@optonline.net

Paul B. Cresti
11-17-2008, 12:31 PM
Well I had written a rather long reply but somehow it got lost in the web browser and I'm not writing it all again. Curse me for not writing it in microsft word first DHAMKIT!

Anyway you can PM me for more details.

I live 10 minutes from Willard. Do yourself a favor and don't go there, they are crooks and their wood is not that great! Don't waste your day driving to Hearne. My woodworking friends and I laugh every time we read a post about how great Hearne is. They really aren't, and you can find MUCH BETTER stuff at better prices. Go to woodfinder or woodplanet, call some of the people and have them send you some pictures. You're best bet is to buy a whole or half log. You will get really nice material with matching grain and your furniture will be all the better. You can find it for the same price as the regular guff they sell at Willard or Hearne.

Like I said, feel free to PM me and maybe I can give you some more info.

Noah

Why is Williard and Hearn so bad? please state your reasons. Where have you been finding consistant quality wood for years here in NJ?

Jim Becker
11-17-2008, 3:21 PM
I don't understand, either, Paul. I've gotten excellent material from Hearne...very much worth my drive, including matched material from consecutive boards in a log.

Rick LoDico
12-08-2008, 9:33 AM
Travis Ruhland near Long Valley has a large inventory of everything domestic. Cherry/Walnut under 4.00 BF.
http://www.woodweb.com/directories/sdd/posts/580.html

Joel Shapiro
12-08-2008, 11:23 AM
I've bought wood from the following sawmills in 1 and 2 board quantities:

Fischer and Son, Andover, NJ (973) 786-6020. The last time I was there they had red and white oak, cherry, sycamore, cedar, maple and a few others. They have a drying kiln on-site. I got some rough sawn cherry slightly undersized in thickness for about $2/bf.

Modick Wood Products, Hopatcong, NJ. (973) 398-2138. I was there several years ago. They had red and white oak, poplar, cherry and maple. Call for directions as they are hard to find.

I have seen sawmills in Oak Ridge, NJ and around Montague, NJ recently but don't remember their names and have no idea of what they have.

HTH

William Hamilton
02-08-2011, 2:26 PM
the last time I went to Willard brothers I nearly had an argument with the guy there about how much he was charging me.. another vote for Mike Quinn here. As much as I'd like to keep his place a secret, he's great and his prices are very competitive.

johnny means
02-08-2011, 4:45 PM
+1 on Mike Quinn.

As an added bonus, if you have kids, you can tie a trip there into a day at Sesame Place:).

Greg Labacz
02-08-2011, 6:01 PM
There is a guy in Sewell NJ who sells slabs on the side , he has maple ,Walnut ,cherry, sycamore real reasonable ($2 to $5 a bd foot) I just bought 12bf of ambrosia maple for $4 bf. He is Jeffrey Lasoski and lives at 76 wendee way. Sewell, nj 08080. 609 220 5783

Richard Shaefer
02-08-2011, 6:06 PM
I can't believe no one has mentioned Wood Boards and Beams in Fairfield NJ.
I'm in there pretty much every week sifting through the stocks
http://www.woodboardsandbeams.com/

Steve Friedman
02-08-2011, 7:04 PM
This is very useful. I will definitely try Mike Quinn. My office is only 5 minutes from Willard Brothers, so it is extremely convenient. But, ever since taking a drive to Groff & Groff in Quarryville, I now feel like I'm being ripped off every time I walk into Willard's. It's not just a small difference in price either - the difference is massive. I think that some folks from different parts of the country don't realize how long it can take to drive 20 miles in NJ! I've heard excellent things about Wood Boards and Beams, but from Princeton, I can get to Lancaster as quickly as I can get to Fairfield. Amazing.

That said, there seem to be a fair number of people on this forum from Central NJ (my definition - Mercer County, Southern Middlesex and Hunterdon, Western Monmouth, Northern Burlington, and Easter Bucks Counties) that it might make sense to combine resources for a spring wood shopping excursion. Maybe a sign-up at the Somerset show in a couple of weeks?

Steve

Prashun Patel
02-08-2011, 7:50 PM
Steve-
I live in Cranbury. Would love to connect with you. Love talkin' wood!
Anyway, I mail order from Boone @ Bell Forest Products. I've had good luck with his selections. The only downside is that the shipping kills me. If you would like to pool, it can be worth it. I ordered a few hundred BF of Honduran Mahogany, curly hard maple, walnut and 8/4 cherry. Not a bad or knotty board in the lot.

I was just @ Willard Bros today. Don't count them out. For exotics and flitches, they have a great selection. If yr buying a few pieces and want to pick the perfect piece, it's not so bad. I also like that they get a lot of local wood; some of it has a good story.

I'll pm you. Anyone else in Central NJ, I'm happy to consolidate with too.

tim vadas
02-08-2011, 7:52 PM
When i lived in the area, i bought from Wm. H. Polley woodworking and lumber (search for their website, with prices). It's near Scranton though, so maybe a bit out of your way. Great prices compared to most in NJ ($3.50 for walnut, $2.40 for oak).

greg a bender
02-08-2011, 8:21 PM
I've bought wood from the following sawmills in 1 and 2 board quantities:

Fischer and Son, Andover, NJ (973) 786-6020. The last time I was there they had red and white oak, cherry, sycamore, cedar, maple and a few others. They have a drying kiln on-site. I got some rough sawn cherry slightly undersized in thickness for about $2/bf.

Modick Wood Products, Hopatcong, NJ. (973) 398-2138. I was there several years ago. They had red and white oak, poplar, cherry and maple. Call for directions as they are hard to find.

I have seen sawmills in Oak Ridge, NJ and around Montague, NJ recently but don't remember their names and have no idea of what they have.

HTH

Joel,

Not to hijack, but thanks! I live in Andover and have been trying to find some wood sources. If you know of any other places around here, let us know.

Greg A.

John Toigo
02-08-2011, 8:39 PM
I generally scrounge wood & buy from alternate sources but I like the lumber @ Monteath Lumber & I'm kind of surprised no one mentioned them. I got to know the owner @ a machinery auction & always e-mail him & get a little bit better pricing. They pretty much charge the going rate but they have an extensive selection and very good quality. I buy @ Jaeger in Belmar from time to time also. They're not cheap but they're very close and you can go sort through the stacks & sometimes you find a deal. Another interesting source is Diamond M Lumber in Pemberton? You never know what they're going to have or what price they want for it. The owner is about 100 yrs old and when he's in a grumpy mood everything is really expensive. Catch him in a good mood & he'll give you a deal you won;t believe.....