PDA

View Full Version : Sawmill Creek Corian

michael gallagher
11-09-2008, 11:26 PM
A month ago, Keith posted pre-cut and pre-drilled corian pen blanks for sell as part of the effort to support the Creek. He has a couple of dozen types available:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=95535

I've never turned corian before, and kind of passed it by - I'm a visual kind of guy, and as there weren't any pictures at the time Ididn't think much of it. He later posted pictures of finished pens, I thought they were kind of neat, and thought I would order a variety pack of 10 different sets.

So, I turned one last night, and I am very pleased with the results. If you haven't turned corian before give it a shot - I used the skew almost exclusively, and ran the full series of micro mesh. The attached is the results of that turning and sanding. The corian is a little heavier than wood, so for my personal preference it has a great feel to it when writing. Pretty durable stuff, too.

For $25 for a set of 10 pre-drilled and cut corian blanks, it can't be beat; besides, you'll help support the Creek so go get some from Keith!

Steve Schlumpf
11-10-2008, 10:30 AM
Good looking pen Michael! Looking forward to seeing some of the other colors - once you get them turned!

Bernie Weishapl
11-10-2008, 12:03 PM
Very nice looking pen. Keep'em coming.

robert hainstock
11-10-2008, 12:18 PM
A few months ago I stopped in at a local cabinet shop. Asked ther man if he had any colorful corian scraps. He gave me two pieces that I can get about forty blanks out of before I'm done. It does turn realy nice with sharp tools, andshines up pretty good too. looking forward to more pics of your productions, and I agree with you that we should support the forum by purchasing those blanks. Thanks for posting. :D:D:D
Bob

Michael Arruda
11-10-2008, 3:44 PM
Well sure, but doesn't the end grain tear out pretty bad?

-Michael :D

michael gallagher
11-10-2008, 6:21 PM
Well sure, but doesn't the end grain tear out pretty bad?

-Michael :D

No, I didn't have any tear out problems - I took light cuts with the skew (consider me a skew convert in the Ken F. and Bernie W. mold). Results may vary.