PDA

View Full Version : Safe and economical sharpening and honing solution?

Sean Rainaldi
11-09-2008, 9:11 PM
I’ve been looking for a general purpose sharpening and honing solution for my garage shop mainly to sharpen and hone chisels, hand plane blades, knives, etc. I’d like to also buy a wire brush wheel to remove rust on some old tools, a leather wheel for honing, buffing wheel ect. But I have always been concerned about inhaling grinding dust and metal particulate. The only dust collector I have is for wood dust.

I’ve looked at some of the grizzly 1/2 and 3/4 hp 6 and 8 inch grinders but am concerned about the dust. I’ve also looked at their wet grinders. I own a cheapie craftsman grinder - think I paid about 30 bucks for it - which is safer because of the wet grind, but the thing takes so long to sharpen I got tired of it, the wheel runs so slow as I believe the grizzly wet grind does, it never did a good job, and it won’t do the final honing with a leather strop wheel.

Is there any low or no dust solution for me that will both grind and hone with no dust and also will not brake the bank? I’d like to keep it under 300 bucks if possible.

James White
11-10-2008, 10:13 AM
Sean,

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=96022

Take a look here. There are two links in that thread that are worth following. I have the HF and Sheppeck wet grinders. If you don't need to do jointer/planer blades. I would go with the HF and use the saved money for some jigs. They are pricey. If you will be doing jointer/planer blades go with the Sheppeck or Grizzly version of the sheppeck (10" wheel). Then get the jointer/planer jig from Grizzly or your local Rikon dealer. All of the Jet and Torkmeck jigs with the exception of the jointer/planer jig work with the HF and Sheppek grinders.

James

Sean Rainaldi
11-10-2008, 12:05 PM
Sean,

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=96022

... All of the Jet and Torkmeck jigs with the exception of the jointer/planer jig work with the HF and Sheppek grinders.

James

Thanks much,

Do the Torkmek jigs also work with the Grizzly T10010 10" Wet Grinder Kit?

James White
11-10-2008, 9:46 PM
Yes they do work with the Grizzly. It is a Sheppach with a 10" wheel.

James