PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know if the Raffan signature skew has a rounded/radius side on the heel side?

Joshua Dinerstein
11-09-2008, 5:27 PM
So the title pretty much says it all. I think it is time for me to invest in a slightly higher quality skew than the one that came in my HF $36.99 boxed set.

I wanted to get one that was already rounded on the heel/short point side and was looking for a good quality one.

I had thought about Doug Thompson's skews but they are all sold out. So then I thought about Raffan's or Lacer's skews. The Lacer signature line is a well know rounded edge and ready to use. But it is about twice that of the Raffan signature line.

So the question in the title: Anyone know if the Raffan signature skew has a rounded/radius side on the heel side?

If it does I will probably just buy that one.

Anyone know of and want to recommend another skew 1" or larger in width that is already to go with the rounded side on the short point?

Thanks!
Joshua

Bernie Weishapl
11-10-2008, 12:24 PM
I have the Raffan and love it. I use it for 80% of my skew work. The other one I got is this one.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Turning_Tools___Bowl_and_Spindle_Tools___Hamlet___ Hamlet_M2_Rolled_Edge_Skew___m2_rolled?Args=

It has the edges rounded already so it will slid on your tool rest nicely and is a straight edge to compliment the Raffan skew.

Joshua Dinerstein
11-10-2008, 1:26 PM
It has the edges rounded already so it will slid on your tool rest nicely and is a straight edge to compliment the Raffan skew.
So the Raffan skew isn't rounded down the side like the Lacer skew is then?

If that is the case then Rats... That would have made it a very nice tool.

Joshua

tom martin
11-10-2008, 6:01 PM
My Raffan skew has a radius bottom on the heel side along with a radius edge along with a radius edge (although I've had it for so long ,I can't remember if I put it there). Great skew.
Tom

Jeff Nicol
11-10-2008, 10:48 PM
Joshua, I have about 6 different skews some are cheap and some are small. But the one I use the most is the 1" hamlet with a radius grind that I chose myself. The steel is good and the prices of the hamlet tools are reasonable.

Jeff